Couple pics of original Drag Strip test of MM & FF on 03 Cobra

OX1

Established Member
This thread

reminded me of the pics I had from the orig drag strip test MM & FF did @ E-town racetrack. My buddy from high school, was Art director for MM/FF, Mopar, Pontiac, and some of their other pubs back in the day, so I sometimes got invited to stuff like this (or to just go beat on whatever new car he got a hold of that day).

Anyway, they were super excited to get a high 12 out of it. From what I remember, they ran big and littles and iced intake, but that was it. You can almost see a 12.91 in the one pic, can't make out MPH.

Date on the pics was 5/13/2002, not sure if this was a pre-production car or not. Seems really early, but not sure when the first one sold to public.

DCP00776.JPG

DCP00777.JPG

DCP00792.JPG

DCP00793.JPG

Forgot my car. Actually had my Capri with turbo kit (but otherwise virtually stock) their that day, but had M & H crappy street slicks, that really didn't work any better than the stock gatorbacks. Of course not one pic of the Capri.

DCP00794.JPG

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Seems a bit strange to see bigs and skinnies on an otherwise factory stock Terminator. Seems like just mere short years back. 20 years!

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Etown closing is such a heart breaker. I drive past it everyday and remember the amazing events they’ve had there.

Rambro

Established Member
That specific day? I don't remember the 11 second pass, but was 20 years ago.
Not sure if they did it the same day but I remember them using a lightning upper pulley to get the 11.60, and I think they put some race gas in it to be safe because the car wasn’t tuned for the pulley. They also pulled the front sway bar, I remember Evan Smith standing there in a pic acting like he’s curling it and it’s heavy lol. It’s what really made me want to get an 03/04.

Rambro

Established Member
C777BD56-5842-483A-8AC3-D5636EE1465A.jpeg

Had to shrink it down but there it is. It’s the October 02 edition of mmff. This is sometime after they tested it stock. Lightning upper, removed air filter, and removed front sway bar. No tune, and bone stock exhaust. Also ran 11.7 @118 before the pass in the pic. Awesome times. And he went 12.67 @110 stock.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Etown closing is such a heart breaker. I drive past it everyday and remember the amazing events they’ve had there.
I agree. It was so iconic! I still remember the race announcements on the radio for weekend events. Sunday! Sunday! Sunday! At least you folks still have track options within easy driving distance. We here in CT lost our only drag strip, Connecticut Dragway, way back in 1985, almost 40 years ago. Lots of great memories there.

Classic older EnglishtownRaceway Park video.

Last edited:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member

Unfortunately, the one and only time I visited Englishtown, I was there to witness Scott Kalitta's fatal accident.
:(

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Unfortunately, the one and only time I visited Englishtown, I was there to witness Scott Kalitta's fatal accident.
:(
I was there that day also. Summer Nats. Right after that they changed the rules to 1000’

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member

I mean they still have car events, they're just often stupid.

But I get what you mean, it was nice being able to drive 20 minutes for a test and tune weekend.

stangfreak

Established Member
I remember everyone talking about that pass on modularfords. when they took the lighting pulley, which is a 2.93 or a 2.90 and ran 11's with the cobra and no tune.

Users who are viewing this thread