Couple of electric water pump questions...

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
I should be getting my Meziere electric water pump today, and should install it within the next week. So here are my questions:

1. I have Steeda pulleys (obviously keeping the crank and alternator pulley). What size belt do I need? Or can someone tell me the size of the stocker and/or the size of the one that comes with the Steedas?

2. "Burping" the coolant... what exactly does that mean and what is the proceedure? (I guess I am used to other cars where you just drain the system and fill it back up through the radiator cap...). Here's an old post of KGblack99cobra:
KGblack99cobra said:
Heres how i solved my over heating problem.....

1. Installed a 180 Tstat - Drilled pin size hole at TDC (TopDeadCenter) Allows any air pockets to move through the system instead of building up at the Tstat (So I was told)
2. Loosened a heater core hose
3. Remove crossover plug
4. Remove Res Cap
5. Flush Radiator Through rad plug
6. Run Distilled water through the system till Its as clean as can be
7. Tighten Plug on Radi
8. Fill at Crossover Point till water runs out of the heater core (Re attach hose)
9. Fill at Crossover point till Res Over flows (Put Cap on)
10. Fill at Crossover point (with funnel) till water is still in funnel. Squeeze the Radiator hose 3-4 times to force water in and out of the system.
11. Put Crossover plug back in
12. Idle the car to normal running temp
13. Crack the Crossover plug to let any possible air out (BURP)
14. Monitor the system for awhile then Have fun....

Hope this helps..
Is that how everyone else does it? Does anybody do it differently?

3. Where is there an ignition-switched 12V source that I can safely tap into under the hood?

Thanks!

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
One more question:

4. You are supposed to grease the O-ring, but what kind or type of grease should I use?

americanthunder

nuts and bolts
Established Member
3. Where is there an ignition-switched 12V source that I can safely tap into under the hood?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I used 12v source from the maf

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
As for filling your coolant, the instructions listed above are good. Here is how I did mine when I recently finished a bunch of work:

1. Raise the front of the vehicle up higher than the rear (I put the front up on my small jackstands at their lowest setting). This will put the cross-over tube at about the highest point on the car.
2. Remove the overflow tank cap.
3. Remove the crossover tube plug.
4. Take a small funnel and screw it into the crossover fill hole.
5. Fill from the crossover until the overflow tank is up to the fill line.
6. Replace and fully tighten the overflow tank cap.
7. Continue filling from the crossover tube until backs up into the funnel.
8. Alternately squeeze all coolant hoses by hand and fill from the crossover tube until all air pockets are removed.
9. Start the car (some say run the heater on defrost and I did) and idle until the thermostat opens.
10. Top off the crossover tube as needed.
11. Shut off and let cool. Top off any coolant again.
12. Replace the crossover plug and keep an eye on it over the next couple of days.

Note: My 99 has the LDC Cooling mod and I drilled an 1/8th hole at TDC on the thermostat to help with any trapped air.

Hopefully you have better luck with the Meziere than I did. Went through two of them. One had bearing failure and would slow down badly at high rpms causing increased temps and the other had the o-ring built into the pump fail badly. Meziere wouldn't warranty either of them. Real classy operation over there.

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
Which o-ring? The seal between the pump body and the engine block?

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
It seems to me that it had to have been kinked or cut on install. Very easy to do on those sharp aluminum edges.

It seems to me that it had to have been kinked or cut on install. Very easy to do on those sharp aluminum edges.

I doubt it happened on both. Personally I think they are junk but you will notice a few extra ponies. MPG doesn't go up as they advertise and the pump doesn't flow more than a stocker. They claim a 55gpm flow but the Meziere only moves about 25gpm through the block.

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
One more question:

4. You are supposed to grease the O-ring, but what kind or type of grease should I use?

Any grease will do, anything from vaseline to a small amount of wheel bearing grease will work. I used a small amount of wheel bearing grease, the pump slid in like butter.

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
I doubt it happened on both. Personally I think they are junk but you will notice a few extra ponies. MPG doesn't go up as they advertise and the pump doesn't flow more than a stocker. They claim a 55gpm flow but the Meziere only moves about 25gpm through the block.

It flows more than the stock pump on average, ecause it's flowing it's maximum at all times. The stock pump is dependant on the rpm of the engine. My car with the Meziere running drops the temp 2 degrees every 10 seconds at idle with a drilled t-stat.

1999-COBRA-6661

[S]pecial[V]ehicle[T]eam
Established Member
:

1. I have Steeda pulleys (obviously keeping the crank and alternator pulley). What size belt do I need? Or can someone tell me the size of the stocker and/or the size of the one that comes with the Steedas?

TTT

Can anyone help me out with this? I have Steeda underdrive pulleys and after I got my meziere pump on I noticed the stock belt is too long .

Just found this thread http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281811&highlight=meziere+belt+size

Part #4060955, this will work?

Last edited:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member

Janstang

Established Member
I totally agree with you. I don't see the logic behind replacing a stock water pump that practically never fails with an more complex electrical version that has poor reliability and reduced cooling ability.
Have you ever used one, or is that what you read somewhere?:rollseyes

Users who are viewing this thread