Couple of easy newb questions

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Whats wrong with doing 130mph plus in overdrive I do it a lot if the roads clear enough,had it up to 140,
I know with the light on it will only get up to about 115/120 tried it out when I first had the truck,having a bit of fun with a Ford Siera Cosworth,then flicked the switch and went past him.
andy

Sounds a load of crap to me been doing it for 4 years now, 138k miles on the L now thought these trucks were meant for abuse not show boats or for posing in.
In overdrive the revs are way lower possibly 500rpm at 120 plus mph, so how can that damage the engine ?
andy

It's not the rpm's that kill you in OD. When you're in OD your transmission gear ratio is less than 1:1. That puts a huge load on the engine. Any problems that can come up, like detonation, will be realized ten fold when the engine is under a load like that. You're also trying to overcome aerodynamics by pushing a brick through the air at those speeds. Sure some people have gotten away with it, but that doesn't mean you should do it. It's smarter to not take the chance.

RMoore92

Established Member
you running granny gears? How are you getting that mph in 3rd gear? Im built also but built doesnt mean 100% bullit proof.

I borrowed a scanner that data logs to see whats what. I went through pure hell getting this built block so Im trying to make sure it last longer than the last.

I guess the best insurance would be from what ive searched is a killer chiller right? Dont see any other way of keeping the iat2 temps low with a eaton.

I have 3.73s. I just spin the motor to about 5800, that's when my power drops off. That pegs me about 140mph in 3rd gear.

I don't see anything really over 130iat2 even in hot arizona heat during 1/4 mile blast. Run distilled water and water wetter. It dropped my IAT2s about 20 degrees.

Last edited:

honda hunter

Old School
Established Member
I have 3.73s. I just spin the motor to about 5800, that's when my power drops off. That pegs me about 140mph in 3rd gear.

I don't see anything really over 130iat2 even in hot arizona heat during 1/4 mile blast. Run distilled water and water wetter. It dropped my IAT2s about 20 degrees.
I see. Im starting to believe 3.73's would be a better choice at this point.

andy mack

Established Member
It's not the rpm's that kill you in OD. When you're in OD your transmission gear ratio is less than 1:1. That puts a huge load on the engine. Any problems that can come up, like detonation, will be realized ten fold when the engine is under a load like that. You're also trying to overcome aerodynamics by pushing a brick through the air at those speeds. Sure some people have gotten away with it, but that doesn't mean you should do it. It's smarter to not take the chance.

Got the JS anti knock fitted so should not det, but if i drive with od light on can only get up to about 115mph,and i thought these trucks were once the quickest in the world 148mph if my memory is right ?

RMoore92

Established Member
Got the JS anti knock fitted so should not det, but if i drive with od light on can only get up to about 115mph,and i thought these trucks were once the quickest in the world 148mph if my memory is right ?

The SRT10 truck actually is faster stock MPH wise. Think it was tested at 156mph.

The reference of the quickest production truck just means its faster on the track in the quarter mile.

andy mack

Established Member
As i said once the quickest is now the oz Holdon Maloo 165mph looks good but to small,but brillliant track day truck,proper racing truck

Users who are viewing this thread