Couple of easy newb questions

honda hunter

Old School
Established Member
Lately Ive been worried about IAT2 temps. No way to monitor them at the moment but with a 5lbs pully and a tune and built motor would I be ok with runs up to 130mph? I blew my stock motor doing that so Ive been avoiding it. Now I just need to know based on others setup.

This question is based on my times. I run 13.2's @106 all day long with a 2.1-2.2 60ft. I got my first 2.0 last night but ran a 13.3 @106 (go figure). Wheel hop is a huge issue for me. Should have that fixed Friday. I see others running 12's @ my mph and see most running my 1/4 time but much lower speed. What gives?

Sure Im over thinking all of this but I know the answes are somewhere. :??:

RMoore92

Established Member
What did you tune the truck with? SCT, Diablosport, Sniper? They all have data log software cable of data logging IAT2 temps so you can monitor them.

You shouldn't be worried about running 130mph in the 1/4 unless your in the 10s someplace I would imagine.

Fix your 60 foots and you can run the faster ET with that trap speed. I trapped 109 running 12.70s with 1.85 60 foots

opie99

Established Member
you need to get your 60'ft down. thats whats killing your time and whats your reaction time? that makes a big difference too. if you take a half a second to get off the line, it adds up on the top end. its all about gettin out of the hole with the trucks.:rockon:

00slvrL

RIP 05.18.2013
Established Member
you need to get your 60'ft down. thats whats killing your time and whats your reaction time? that makes a big difference too. if you take a half a second to get off the line, it adds up on the top end. its all about gettin out of the hole with the trucks.:rockon:

reaction time has nothing to do with et times:shrug:

honda hunter

Old School
Established Member
What did you tune the truck with? SCT, Diablosport, Sniper? They all have data log software cable of data logging IAT2 temps so you can monitor them.

You shouldn't be worried about running 130mph in the 1/4 unless your in the 10s someplace I would imagine.

Fix your 60 foots and you can run the faster ET with that trap speed. I trapped 109 running 12.70s with 1.85 60 foots
Flash the ecm by tuner. No hand held :(
I was referring to 130mph on a private safe road not the 1/4. :)
working on traction bars then DR's.

opie99

Established Member
yeah i know i was meaning if your pussy footing out of the hole and slowly roll out of the box it going to ruin your 60' and its going to kill your e.t. yeah i guess i didnt word that very good. but a good run starts at the line thats all i was tryin to get at.

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
The danger of high IAT2s, come from too hot of an intake charge -vs- timing -vs- not enough fuel -vs- too low of octane.

The problem is not really any one thing. It's a balance of all these to prevent detonation.

IMO, since you don't have any way of adding fuel / reducing timing.. nor measuring the IAT2. I'd suggest running a bit higher octane and making sure the IC system is in good working shape.

In all my datalogging IATs temps climb quickly (4-5 seconds) to about 130F then slowly keep climbing the longer I'm at WOT. (4lb lower and ported blower)

Rich

andy mack

Established Member
Running top end isn't good for these trucks. You're not getting to 130mph unless you're in OD. Not a good idea.

Whats wrong with doing 130mph plus in overdrive I do it a lot if the roads clear enough,had it up to 140,
I know with the light on it will only get up to about 115/120 tried it out when I first had the truck,having a bit of fun with a Ford Siera Cosworth,then flicked the switch and went past him.
andy

MJG

Established Member
Once you start getting above 150-160 then its time to take it easy.
Definately advise grabbing an Interceptor guage to monitor temps.

RMoore92

Established Member
After 140 degrees the PCM will start to retard timing due to heat. More heat = more chances of detonation as mentioned above.

Running these trucks in overdrive is asking for a rod to brake. Many examples to date that's why most urge not to run WOT in overdrive.

andy mack

Established Member
After 140 degrees the PCM will start to retard timing due to heat. More heat = more chances of detonation as mentioned above.

Running these trucks in overdrive is asking for a rod to brake. Many examples to date that's why most urge not to run WOT in overdrive.

Sounds a load of crap to me been doing it for 4 years now, 138k miles on the L now thought these trucks were meant for abuse not show boats or for posing in.
In overdrive the revs are way lower possibly 500rpm at 120 plus mph, so how can that damage the engine ?
andy

RMoore92

Established Member
Sounds a load of crap to me been doing it for 4 years now, 138k miles on the L now thought these trucks were meant for abuse not show boats or for posing in.
In overdrive the revs are way lower possibly 500rpm at 120 plus mph, so how can that damage the engine ?
andy

I don't have any personal experience in this but you can search this forum and you can find some who have and many saying that this is a bad idea. Maybe your just one of the few lucky ones.

I don't have your problem, I can run 145mph in 3rd gear. Built Motor ftw :)

honda hunter

Old School
Established Member
I don't have any personal experience in this but you can search this forum and you can find some who have and many saying that this is a bad idea. Maybe your just one of the few lucky ones.

I don't have your problem, I can run 145mph in 3rd gear. Built Motor ftw :)

you running granny gears? How are you getting that mph in 3rd gear? Im built also but built doesnt mean 100% bullit proof.

I borrowed a scanner that data logs to see whats what. I went through pure hell getting this built block so Im trying to make sure it last longer than the last.

I guess the best insurance would be from what ive searched is a killer chiller right? Dont see any other way of keeping the iat2 temps low with a eaton.

S P E E D

Established Member
Two words...

DRAG RADIALS!

Best ET Getter out there BAR NONE (Except for Slicks)

It's like a dragster showing up on a 10.5 tire and expecting to go 4's.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread