Could the new S550 outperform Chevys new C7 for nearly half the cost?

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
Ok, yes, two different classes of car, but...........

Maybe not at first but acouple years into the model run

Think about it......

If the S550 weighs 200 lbs less than current 5.0 GTs then that puts it at around the same weight as a C7 which tips the scales at 3,444 lbs. Ford already said that it will handle better than a Boss Laguna Seca......and at some point in the First generation of this platform a 500 hp N/A 5.0 is only a matter of time which would put it well above the power output of the C7s LT1. The S550 GT would easily outrun a C7 stock for stock in a straight line with these characteristics and possibly around a track.

All of this is just pure speculation of course. Just fun to think about.

cobra916

Established Member
ill give it a hell no! c7 is a world beater for the price...and a new gt.. beat a world beater.. no way jose! this s550 mustang should really worry about the new camaro that is around the corner.. that should be the biggest concern

USV8PWR

Established Member
There are several other factors to consider when speaking acceleration in addition to HP and weight, namely traction and aerodynamics. ALL are key when discussing acceleration. Another would be transmission quality/shift speed but if we are talking two modern manual cars that would be a mute point. While the new Mustang could conceivably have more HP than the C7, it will NOT match the weight, traction or the aerodynamics of one. No way does Ford get the weight of a 4 seater high powered car down to the weight of a two seater Corvette. Want to bring up other cars that weigh less than the C7...that's fine but there isn't any that have as much HP and/or are as big as the new S550.

Yes handling should greatly improve for the S550 but so did it for the C7 over the C6.

mustangletback

Established Member
i have said the same thing for a while now,that the new mustang will be close in performance with that ugly ass new thing thats called a vette.REMEMBER the BOSS sx had a 500hp N/A motor in that,so with that in mind,it could be right on par with the vette.i dont think FORD is gonna worry about the new CRAPMARO.i think it will still be alot heavier than the new mustang.:pepper:

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
Wishful thinking. Maybe the GT350 will have C7 performance but it will also have a C7 price tag.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
I don't know why people continue to think that the car is going to be 200 pounds lighter when it's 1 inch shorter and inches wider than before... Think about it. If this was going to be a hero mustang and lose 200 pounds wouldn't you think ford would have released that info and given people more hype? My bet is it loses maybe 75 pounds maximum, if that. I bet there's a reason they haven't addressed it yet, just like the horsepower.

Keep dreaming

specizripn

Established Member
We cant say whether it will be close to a C7 or slower than a Crapmaro because the new suspension is completely unproven... Just have to wait and see what the new IRS can do

nicksender

Established Member
I don't know why people continue to think that the car is going to be 200 pounds lighter when it's 1 inch shorter and inches wider than before... Think about it. If this was going to be a hero mustang and lose 200 pounds wouldn't you think ford would have released that info and given people more hype? My bet is it loses maybe 75 pounds maximum, if that. I bet there's a reason they haven't addressed it yet, just like the horsepower.

Keep dreaming

I agree with this. Ford didn't mention the weight because they weren't going to hit the 200 lb. loss that was rumored about. I think they were behind in a few areas on the car and didn't have time to work on some things they wanted to achieve and that weight loss might be one of them. IMO.

I don't think you will even get 200 lb. difference if you eventually compare a 2014 GT convertible to a 2015 Ecoboost coupe weight?

notch5.0

Established Member
Ok, yes, two different classes of car, but...........

Maybe not at first but acouple years into the model run

Think about it......

If the S550 weighs 200 lbs less than current 5.0 GTs then that puts it at around the same weight as a C7 which tips the scales at 3,444 lbs.

C7 does not weigh 3,444 --- try 3,360 with 1/2 tank of gas and loaded with options including Z51 pkg. and 6 speed automatic.

BTW C7 with Z51 and 6 speed automatic - bone stock - has turned 11.4x ETs @ 120 mph.

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
Who cares how fast it is.... They ruined the C7 just like they ruined the 5th Gen Camaro. They're just plain ugly. However, with that said I can't say I'm a huge fan of the s550 either. But it's better looking than the vette.

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
"C7 does not weigh 3,444"

Ummm. Yes it does..Car & Driver review and figures - Corvette Forum

Which is about 100lbs heavier than a C6 grandsport.

Exactly.....everything I find online about the C7 curb weight says 3,444 lbs. Its heavier than a C6.

No one can say the new S550 wont lose 200 lbs simply based on its size comparison to the current S197. We dont know how much aluminum they are using throughout the platform and advances in material science constantly allow them to "thin" out the metal while keeping it just as strong. Also, a lot of people seem to forget that the new S550 is a unibody platform.....

Like I said, everything is speculation. Im just stirring the pot since there are no hard numbers yet.

USV8PWR

Established Member

Keep dreaming

I agree with this. Ford didn't mention the weight because they weren't going to hit the 200 lb. loss that was rumored about. I think they were behind in a few areas on the car and didn't have time to work on some things they wanted to achieve and that weight loss might be one of them. IMO.

I don't think you will even get 200 lb. difference if you eventually compare a 2014 GT convertible to a 2015 Ecoboost coupe weight?

Exactly! Although it would be nice if it weighed less, I do believe the weight savings will be negligible based on the current cars out there right now.

notch5.0

Established Member
Exactly.....everything I find online about the C7 curb weight says 3,444 lbs. Its heavier than a C6.

No one can say the new S550 wont lose 200 lbs simply based on its size comparison to the current S197. We dont know how much aluminum they are using throughout the platform and advances in material science constantly allow them to "thin" out the metal while keeping it just as strong. Also, a lot of people seem to forget that the new S550 is a unibody platform.....

Like I said, everything is speculation. Im just stirring the pot since there are no hard numbers yet.

Prior to Track rental at MIR earlier this year - several C7s were weighed - with the Z51 option and 6 speed automatic - some at the base 1LT option level and weighed exactly what I posted. A fully loaded 7 speed manual Z51 C7 weighed in at 3362.

Use the search function at the Corvette Forum website link you posted, and look up Snorman.

BTW Snorman 's automatic Z51 C7 turned the 11.4x ETs at MIR ...

Last edited:

LostPony

Established Member
i say no. But the closer it gets to Corvette performance, the harder it will be for GM to improve the Camaro to compete. GM will not want the less expensive Camaro to outshine the halo car. I don't envy GM having to balance the line up with an artificial cap on performance based keeping one model superior to another.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Do I think it will outperform the C7? No.

Do I think it will be nipping at the heels of the C7? Yes.

Bleedsblue

Established Member
The current 5.0 is on par with the $85,000 BMW M3. I love that Ford is keeping everyone on there toes with price/performance ratios that are amazing. I mean 662 HP For $54,000 in the GT500. I drove one for the first this week and it basically needs suspension and tire upgrades before the power is even usable but it's an amazing starting point. I paid a visit to Power by the Hour the other day and we got to talking. They can get 800 rwtq out of the 13-14 GT500 with bolt-ons and tunes. I bleed blue. **** bowties!

Last edited:

germeezy1

Established Member
There has been no confirmation that the 200 lbs weight loss is not a myth just like the New Edge size that had been rumored. With that being said there is far more to a C7 than just straight line speed. 713 rwhp was just made with a stock internal/ stock fuel system Procharged C7...on pump gas....

Users who are viewing this thread