Could the 1990's GT1 keep up today?

6.0GTO

Established Member
Too much talking even for me with not enough car footage. I started to wonder how out classed it would be against the current best. Ford GT, P1, 918 etc. How far behind would the GT1 be on Laguna, Mid Ohio or VIR. Zero specs in this video. Weight is around 1120 Kilos with 550-600hp from what I see. Opinions?

Recon

Established Member
Video is unavailable. But I’d say it wouldn’t be that big of a gap as one would think.

Pick your poison.

blk02edge

Established Member
On period correct road tires it would get its rectum pillaged. On equal tires... Similar-ish. The GT1 road car was far more aggressively built than those modern cars mentioned. The technology just makes bad drivers better.

Source: me comparing my 1995 Formula 2000 to modern iteration's lap times.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
But anyway, the F1 is simply 30x more badass than the P1.

The 90's really made the GOAT race cars.

+1, ran with 1/2 sec with -400hp vs. the P1

The F1 Longtail is an absolutely badass car. The visceral experience to drive one of them must be unreal! Sensory overload. Completely analog, with no digital nannies to bail your ass out if you make a mistake.

BTW, that particular F1 has recently been made road legal.

Another one for your viewing pleasure. Turn it up. You can hear the excitement in Justin Bell's voice. Very special car the F1 was.

Last edited:

blk02edge

Established Member
+1, ran with 1/2 sec with -400hp vs. the P1

The F1 Longtail is an absolutely badass car. The visceral experience to drive one of them must be unreal! Sensory overload. Completely analog, with no digital nannies to bail your ass out if you make a mistake.

BTW, that particular F1 has recently been made road legal.

Another one for your viewing pleasure. Turn it up. You can hear the excitement in Justin Bell's voice. Very special car the F1 was.

Second video was great, thanks for sharing.

sidewinderl

Established Member
Neither of those are the street legal variants. But anyway, the F1 is simply 30x more badass than the P1.

The 90's really made the GOAT race cars.

Let's not forget that street legal in GT1 was a Toyota with a fuel tank that doubled as the vehicle's cargo space when empty (not joking).

Despite the fact that I'm stuck in the 90's, the race cars are only my second favorite. My favorites are late 60's sports prototypes.

blk02edge

Established Member
Let's not forget that street legal in GT1 was a Toyota with a fuel tank that doubled as the vehicle's cargo space when empty (not joking).

Despite the fact that I'm stuck in the 90's, the race cars are only my second favorite. My favorites are late 60's sports prototypes.
Street legal is street legal :D. I know, thats why I previously mentioned the GT1 road car was mega aggressive.

And you are 100% right, the 60's Can am and F5000 were the true ultimate. A friend actually has a 60's Mclaren Can am car currently starting a full resto. The fuel tanks are the body work...

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I remember drooling over the GT1 cars as a kid and the CLK GTR was my favorite by far. I saw one in person at the Seattle Auto Show a few years back and it was magnificent in person.

The others I remember and loved the most were:
Elise GT1
Toyota GT1
Nissan R390
XJ220 TWR
McLaren F1
911 GT1

Users who are viewing this thread