Costa Concordia finally partially raised and moved (timelapse)

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
$2 billion just to right and refloat it. :eek:

nrza7lp6j9n7ynzownau.jpg

[youtube_browser]JepIPOIP53Y[/youtube_browser]

[youtube_browser]tRDbkod6PxM[/youtube_browser]

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Two billion dollars spent just so they can tow it to a dry dock and scrap it? They could've left it where it was so it could become an artificial reef for the sea life. Didn't they drain the fuel/oil already?

ThomasL

Established Member
Unbelievable. What a feat to get it back up. I was always amazed how you could/can go to Google Maps and see that monstrosity laying in the water.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Two billion dollars spent just so they can tow it to a dry dock and scrap it? They could've left it where it was so it could become an artificial reef for the sea life. Didn't they drain the fuel/oil already?

Most likely because it wasn't fully submerged and was en eysore and also a danger to other boats in the area or that has to pass through.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
An eye sore now, but 50 years from now it would be an historical artifact. And I'm sure they could still make tourist money from it in place. How often do people get to see shipwrecks? That thing could have been a tragic goldmine.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
An eye sore now, but 50 years from now it would be an historical artifact. And I'm sure they could still make tourist money from it in place. How often do people get to see shipwrecks? That thing could have been a tragic goldmine.

i'm pretty sure the area is considered ecologically sensitive. that and while they may have removed the fuel/oil, there is still rotting food, waste, coolant from refrigeration units and other harmful materials.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
no to mention that area is very shallow as it is, so if they would have done anything to move it other than up and out of there, it would make more of a mess than the reef it would create.

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
That skipper was such a Bitch. What kind of Captain makes sure he's the first to bail? He should have Titanic'd that shit.

Users who are viewing this thread