Cooling woes

Chris.94GT

Established Member
Car - '96 Cobra

My car likes to run hot in the heat, with the a/c on. With the a/c off it will run at a solid 200°. With it on it will continue to creep up and I usually try to shut it off by the time it reaches 220°.

This car has a Mishimoto radiator, brand new cooling fan assembly, a new (updated) condenser, and a new engine with water pump (old engine/water pump had same issue). Only thing that hasn't been changed yet is the thermostat. Would this cause it to get to hot with a/c on but be fine with it off?

Also my car does not have a valance/dam attached to the bottom of the core support to force air up into the radiator, should it?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
That is 100% normal if you didn't change the stock stat and fan settings.

Every car after 1986 is designed to run those temps for emissions and complete fuel burn.

97snakebite

Established Member
That is 100% normal if you didn't change the stock stat and fan settings.

Every car after 1986 is designed to run those temps for emissions and complete fuel burn.

this... my average temp is 200 without a/c and 215 with.. this is with my procharger also

Twisted2

Established Member
Car - '96 Cobra

My car likes to run hot in the heat, with the a/c on. With the a/c off it will run at a solid 200°. With it on it will continue to creep up and I usually try to shut it off by the time it reaches 220°.

By the way, if you still have the stock gauge connected, what is it reading at those temps? Just curious. Thanks.

Chris.94GT

Established Member
By the way, if you still have the stock gauge connected, what is it reading at those temps? Just curious. Thanks.

Normally it is around N-O for normal driving, when I turned on SCT datalogging it was around M-A for ~220°. Turned off a/c because it seemed like it was still rising and I didn't care for that.

Ordered a new thermostat today, and will be ordering an air deflector from Ford in the next few days probably.

Chris.94GT

Established Member
I don't drive it for fuel economy. Also with the aluminum block and aluminum heads, I prefer for it to run as cool as possible.

SpittingCobra

Established Member
People keep talking about fuel economy and Ford designed them to run this hot but what about a boosted car where detonation is an issue the hotter it gets. Just doesn't sit well with me in a performance engine where parts experience lots of expansion at those temps. And why did they design their gauge to look like the thing is burning down when it's supposed to run at those temps!?

That and the burping procedure as well as the heater fitting that can't be worked on with the engine in the car, the whole system drives me MAD

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Fuel efficiency isn't just about fuel economy. It is about getting the most power out of the least amount of fuel.

If your boosted car is running hot enough to cause detonation, then you probably should look to reducing the coolant temperature. But I have been running a 6PSI non-intercooled KB blower for years, even in hot weather, and I have no detonation issues with a stock thermostat and running ECTs in the 200s.

High boost may warrant a lower temperature, but I would only do it to stop a real detonation issue.

This topic is really much ado about nothing...

Users who are viewing this thread