Cooling Mods

Acobra

SVT Poster
Established Member
I'm looking to try and keep my cobra running cooler........what mods actualy work??? Aspecaly my IAT I was dynoing the car last night and we where hitting 160 down streem. I have a stage 4 ported eaton and afco heat exchanger also long tubes with full 3" exhaust, 2.80 upper and 4lb lower put down 503hp and 520ft on a mustang dyno.

Digital

Established Member
Not much lol..
The motor itself you could update to a better radiator setup, and the even flow mod.
The intercooler you could upgrade to a bigger setup with electric fans and bigger pump /w bigger resevoir.

If you want to get the temps down in the radiator cooling system then go with this t-stat first and foremost: 170° PERFORMANCE THERMOSTAT (96-06 Mustang, Cobra and 4.6L DOHC-4V, SOHC-3V) by Reische Performance Products

I'm assuming you meant that your IAT2 was 160. For a ported Eaton on a dyno those temps aren't that high, especially since you also have a lower. I bet those temps IAT2 would be a bit lower if you were making a run on the street. You just can't replicate the wind conditions on a dyno so that's one variable that can skew 'real world' temps.

Acobra

SVT Poster
Established Member
Bigger intercooler under the blower ? I have a canton tank but its not much bigger than stock. But the larger ones that you can pack the old ice in....just with more water volume will help ??

Bigger intercooler under the blower ? I have a canton tank but its not much bigger than stock. But the larger ones that you can pack the old ice in....just with more water volume will help ??

Packing ice works great for a track blast. You have to keep in mind though that the Eaton, even if ported, is going to make a lot of heat with an upper and lower combo. Your IAT2 at the end of the run isn't abnormally high, especially since the run is on a dyno. On the street you'll have a lower temp, granted you aren't doing back to back to back pulls, etc. The Eaton just doesn't have the same efficiency as some twinscrews.

Digital

Established Member
If you get a bigger heat exchanger, a larger expansion tank, and duel/quad fans for the HE, and maybe even a bigger pump you're going to see a overall drop in your street driving heat.
I wouldent worry about the motor too much, it cools good enough with the Tstat upgrade and if ur feelings spicy the even flow mod.

Users who are viewing this thread