"COOLING MODS" (what to do)

BlackenedSVT

The Clown has it out 4 me
Established Member
As a few of you know I'm sure, I just recently bought an 2004 Cobra. She is my daily driver and will be my track car about 2-3x a year. Probably make about 6 to 12 1/4mile passes a year total, so only about 2-3 visits to the track i'd guess.

With that in mind. What are some "cooling" mods that you guys would recommend? I keep hearing about doing some, some are expensive, some are do it yourself cheap-o mods. But I'm still familiarizing myself with the terminators and would like to no more about these cooling mods.

I hear that the 7 and 8 pistons in the rear have a hard time receiving proper cooling, and are prone to overheating?

What can you guys tell me about this subject. Do you have info or write ups? Are they even necessary for the type of driving i described to you that I'll be doing?

- Jay

Thanks guys. :coolman:

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
First step is to bump the fans on eariler. Then you get as crazy as you want, Heat exchanger, LDC mod, T-stat, Rad, ect. The hood mod he is referring to is removing the blanket and opening up the plastic vents...

BlackenedSVT

Established Member
ugotbit03 said:
First step is to bump the fans on eariler. Then you get as crazy as you want, Heat exchanger, LDC mod, T-stat, Rad, ect. The hood mod he is referring to is removing the blanket and opening up the plastic vents...

Oh i already have that "hood mod" done then. Whats an LDC mod? And what type of thermostat you guys running? 180* thermos?

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
Some drill the stock stat or use a "full open" 180* The LDC mod info is available on their web site and in this thread-http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420680

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
ugotbit03 said:

How do u bump the fans on early??

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Here's a very good place to start.. Not only are these pieces going to help keep the intake temps down but the Even Flow Cooling Mod will get better circulation of coolant to #7 and 8 pistons..

These are also the best performing and highest quality pieces available for your car hands down! Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks, Jared

http://www.lethalperformance.com/pages-productinfo/product-15042/lp-coolingpack1-lethal-performance-cooling-pack-1.html

http://www.lethalperformance.com/pages-productinfo/product-14719/ef-coolingkit-even-flow-head-cooling-mod.html
EF-COOLINGKIT_MED.jpg

Last edited:

Boosted_Cobra.

Matta fact...
Established Member
Next for me is Afco Pro Series H/E, Fluidyne Radiator, I already have the 180*,Evans Cooling Mod.

I have a question.

What about like a Higher CFM Fan? Maybe a FAL or something?

and I know you guys run distilled water and Redline Water Wetter in the Aftercooler. What about draining the whole system in the engine and running that?

racebronco2

Established Member
Boosted_Cobra. said:

and I know you guys run distilled water and Redline Water Wetter in the Aftercooler. What about draining the whole system in the engine and running that?

Ford does make a higher cfm fan but i haven't heard of anyone using it yet. It comes in the mark8. Might need to modify the shroud to make it work.

Some people do run other additive in their radiator other then anti-freeze/water.

Last edited:

BlackenedSVT

Established Member
black03 said:
Here's a very good place to start.. Not only are these pieces going to help keep the intake temps down but the Even Flow Cooling Mod will get better circulation of coolant to #7 and 8 pistons..

These are also the best performing and highest quality pieces available for your car hands down! Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks, Jared

http://www.lethalperformance.com/pages-productinfo/product-15042/lp-coolingpack1-lethal-performance-cooling-pack-1.html

http://www.lethalperformance.com/pages-productinfo/product-14719/ef-coolingkit-even-flow-head-cooling-mod.html
EF-COOLINGKIT_MED.jpg

Are these 2 SEPERATELY DO-ABLE mods? Or do they have to be done "in-conjunction" with one another? That top one for $650+ is a bit out of my wallet range at the moment :nonono:

But the evenflow mod looks interesting. can I do that alone? Or does it basically have to be done with the top link together?

BlackenedSVT

Established Member
Boosted_Cobra. said:
Next for me is Afco Pro Series H/E, Fluidyne Radiator, I already have the 180*,Evans Cooling Mod.

I have a question.

Whats a "CFM" and "FAL" ?

Boosted_Cobra.

Matta fact...
Established Member
Cubic Feet Per Minute = CFM. Basically how much air the Fan Pulls in FT per min.

Flex-A-Lite = FAL. A well known company who makes performance fans.

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
My buddies LFP Radiator Reservior just blew up this morning and he's pissed. It could have caused some serious damage runing his car without water.

He's going to stick with the stocker now. Don't fix it if it aint broke!

Users who are viewing this thread