Cooling help or information

BlackedSVT

Established Member
Hey guys/gals,

I drive on the autobahn everyday now and that means extended driving in 5th/6th gear at 120mph+, and I'm concerned about the heating in the motor. I read that they can basically blow up on you?

Does anyone have any proof of this, or is this just a speculation?

Also what would be some good preventative measures I could take, besides replacing the pistions.

Intercooler expansions or anything?

Thanks for any info, the search threads were spotty for me

SVTDice

Established Member
Well there is a few things you can do to combat this, First off though, Alot of people are blowing up the motor because they are doing back to back 5/6th gear pulls all the way from 1st or 2nd.

The main reason for this is the close PTW (Piston to Wall) Clearance. Along with bleeding edge tunes, Paired with lack of cooling its a problem waiting to happen. But there is a few things you can do to help prevent this.

First off, The TUNE. Don't run a 11.9 AFR Kind of tune. Run something in the mid to high 10's to be safe.
Second, the Head cooling mod, It allows fluid passage to the #7 & #8 Piston, Those are the two weakest links and are normally the first two to go. Along with a expansion tank, T-Stat and some other odd's and ends for cooling, You should be good to go. Expansion tanks will provide more stability in between 160+ runs. However once you get up to 160+ You won't be holding the pedal to the floor, So you should be OK.

But anyways, For the most part its the back to back pulls that kill these motors. They are very capable of north of 160+. But doing that back to back is the killer part.

Anyways, Hope this helps a little. If you have any more questions, feel free to post back.

BlackedSVT

Established Member
Thanks a bunch, I'm going to pickup an expansion tank probably today. I'll look up the head cooling mod, I know i've seen it on here.

I'm definitely not gunning it, from 0-160. it's more like 60-100, and then 100- whatever i'm going to maintain at, and once I'm "at speed" I usually dont hammer the throttle anymore.

Not sure what my tune is, it was tuned for a 2.8 pulley but I dont know what the AFR was changed to? Guess I should find that out.

Fantastic info for me, thanks for taking the time

SVTDice

Established Member
You are welcome, Any place that has a Dyno can check your AFR For you. But yeah the head cooling mod will help, Also running a higher % of water vs coolant will help you combat the heat. As long as you don't beat the hell out of the car, You should be pretty good.

The main reason this happens is the cooling system can't keep up with the massive ammount of heat created by the Eaton along with the Engine. Heat as you know makes the pistons expand and POP goes your engine. Don't be scared to have some fun though, Just don't do something insane like 10 back to back runs kind of deal. Long story short, The cooler you keep your car. The better.

BLU3VN0M

SVT Addict
Established Member
Look into a new intercooler as well, you can pick them up pretty cheap on the market sometimes. By the way, i'm very jealous you drive on the Autobahn everyday! It's my dream to go there

BlackedSVT

Established Member
You are welcome, Any place that has a Dyno can check your AFR For you. But yeah the head cooling mod will help, Also running a higher % of water vs coolant will help you combat the heat. As long as you don't beat the hell out of the car, You should be pretty good.

The main reason this happens is the cooling system can't keep up with the massive ammount of heat created by the Eaton along with the Engine. Heat as you know makes the pistons expand and POP goes your engine. Don't be scared to have some fun though, Just don't do something insane like 10 back to back runs kind of deal. Long story short, The cooler you keep your car. The better.

I'll be sure and do this, I have a dyno run coming up soon, so we'll see where I'm at.

Look into a new intercooler as well, you can pick them up pretty cheap on the market sometimes. By the way, i'm very jealous you drive on the Autobahn everyday! It's my dream to go there

Definitely keeping my eye out for the Intercoolers.
It's worth a trip for sure!

cobracide

Established Member
No problems here running 100+ in 5th and 6th gear but not sustained very long. Stack up on cooling mods and watch all your temps.

Last edited:

BlackedSVT

Established Member
I figured you meant H/E

I sustain 100+ 5/6th everyday, so that's why I'm nervous about it.

Users who are viewing this thread