Cooling fan

01yellercobra

Established Member
All the recent talk about cooling reminded me of an issue I had last summer. Coming home from a show I was stuck in traffic for a few miles. The outside temp was in the mid 90's so naturally I had my A/C on. I don't know what made me do it, but I flipped my Aeroforce to check coolant temp and found it at 210° and rising. So I turned off the A/C and kept an eye on the temp. When I got home I found out the high side of my fan had died. I ordered a new fan and figured things were still going good. But I've noticed when I'm stuck in traffic with the A/C on the temps get up around 200°. The reason this bugs me is because the car is supposed to have a 170° thermostat in it. Which I believe it does as when I'm on the freeway my coolant temps stay between 176 and 185. I have the fan set to whatever Reische suggests. When I bought the car I was told it has a factory replacement radiator in it. The end tanks are metal so I'm assuming it is a stock style replacement.

So with all this I'm assuming it's an air flow issue. I was thinking of moving my high speed start temps down a little bit. Maybe not use the low speed at all. I do know the fan wasn't a Ford piece. It was some off brand. Maybe I need to get a Ford replacement instead.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
Seems thats pretty normal in high temp days. I run a Killer Chiller with the HE deleted so I have my AC on at all times 24/7. ON cooler days 80 degrees or less my temps stay 175-185 even in traffic. But when its in the 90s or higher and you are in stop and go its my experience that the cooling system just cant keep up with the AC on. I have seen my temps hit 224 degrees and rising in traffic with the AC on in which case i turn the AC off and my temps start to drop down. Not sure if there is a way to fix that or not.

01yellercobra

Established Member
That's what mine does. As soon as I turn off the A/C or start moving at a decent speed the temps come back down. You would think a better fan would be needed. I'm sure a bigger radiator would help. But I think it would just delay the heating up a little longer.

This happened as I was going through Temecula actually. So you know the temps I'm talking about.

cj428mach

Established Member
Malcolm made a post last summer about using a Lincoln fan and said it moved a lot more air. I don't know if he ever posted any data on it.

mark23svt

Established Member
I have a mishimoto rad, 170 t stat, head cooling mod and running red line cooler product and right now I was running around 205/200 it's 95 degrees. I have a killer chiller waiting to be installed.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Malcolm made a post last summer about using a Lincoln fan and said it moved a lot more air. I don't know if he ever posted any data on it.

That was something else I was thinking about. I think he said it was a single speed fan too.

I have a mishimoto rad, 170 t stat, head cooling mod and running red line cooler product and right now I was running around 205/200 it's 95 degrees. I have a killer chiller waiting to be installed.

Is that while driving or in stop and go? Did you change the fan settings in the tune? I've ran the Water Wetter in the past and didn't see any improvement. All I saw was crap left in my tank.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the doorman fan does not move quite as much air on the high speed setting compared to OEM from the numbers I was able to find.

the factory high speed turn on temp is up around 220, maybe a little higher if I recall. Expecting the car to sit in traffic with the AC on and stay around 180 isnt gonna happen.

My mach1 has the big procharger intercooler in front of everything and Im in the same boat as white devil. If its 90+ outside in traffic itll hit 220 and still climbing, I turn the ac back off before finding out where it would peak. I swapped out for a Mark 8 fan and it definitely helped but its still not enough.

ive talked about this extensively with my tuner and the SN95/New edge cars all suffer from a lack of air flow to the cooling system unfortunately. I guess a lot of people dont notice it because theyre just using the factory gauge (idiot light).

In total Im running a 170 stat, coolant thinned way down (freeze protection only to 15 degress), water wetter, high flow water pump and mark 8 fan. Sadly I dont have room for a bigger radiator (8 rib kit on the procharger used it all up)

01yellercobra

Established Member
the doorman fan does not move quite as much air on the high speed setting compared to OEM from the numbers I was able to find.

the factory high speed turn on temp is up around 220, maybe a little higher if I recall. Expecting the car to sit in traffic with the AC on and stay around 180 isnt gonna happen.

My mach1 has the big procharger intercooler in front of everything and Im in the same boat as white devil. If its 90+ outside in traffic itll hit 220 and still climbing, I turn the ac back off before finding out where it would peak. I swapped out for a Mark 8 fan and it definitely helped but its still not enough.

ive talked about this extensively with my tuner and the SN95/New edge cars all suffer from a lack of air flow to the cooling system unfortunately. I guess a lot of people dont notice it because theyre just using the factory gauge (idiot light).

In total Im running a 170 stat, coolant thinned way down (freeze protection only to 15 degress), water wetter, high flow water pump and mark 8 fan. Sadly I dont have room for a bigger radiator (8 rib kit on the procharger used it all up)

My fan settings are whatever Reische recommends. I want to say the low speed kicks on at 180 and the high speed at 185. I'm not 100% sure about that.

I had the same issue with my 01. F1A+8 rib swap=no room for bigger radiator.

Mostly I was wondering if mine was acting different than everyone else. I guess we all have a similar issue.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
You guys are crazy! I won't drive mine if it's mid 80's lol.

MalcolmV8

Established Member

That was something else I was thinking about. I think he said it was a single speed fan too.

Lincoln Mark 8 fan from a 97/98. It moves air like a jet engine compare to our stock fans and will make a huge improvement.

Otherwise no need to panic because you see 210 or 220 and turn your a/c off. You know from the factory Ford didn't even turn the high speed fan on till the coolant hit 228F. Now if your car is modded and makes some decent power I wouldn't keep hammering on the car WOT at those conditions. I tried and my car got all the way up to 245F and climbing. The stock fan was no match.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Another good reason to switch over to E85. I've noticed it takes MUCH longer for coolant temps to even get 170s after startup compared to gasoline and they seem to stay cooler even after driving the car a while. Now I don't know for sure if it's going to make a big difference driving for hours in 100+ degree stop n go traffic....but I would still prefer to take my chances on the corn setup

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Another good reason to switch over to E85. I've noticed it takes MUCH longer for coolant temps to even get 170s after startup compared to gasoline and they seem to stay cooler even after driving the car a while. Now I don't know for sure if it's going to make a big difference driving for hours in 100+ degree stop n go traffic....but I would still prefer to take my chances on the corn setup

My car is on E85. It makes no difference.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
My car is on E85. It makes no difference.

At what point?

I have E85 vs gas datalogs to prove the duration is longer to get to operating temp after startup. Identical weather conditions. It's not even close. In fact, when I first switched over I thought something was wrong with the gauge because it took so long LOL

And I live in a horribly hot and humid area

MalcolmV8

Established Member
We're talking about driving on hot days with a/c on. The difference is negligible to the point I say no difference. The only car I really saw a difference on was 1.6 liter turbo 4 cylinder I built. That motor put out such little heat even on pump gas the drop with E85 was noticeable. Ran about 5 degrees cooler on E85. On the Cobra I used to switch back and forth between pump and E85 all the time when E85 was far away. A hot day with the a/c had no noticeable changes.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I'd still rather take my chances on E85 from what I've logged in 100+ heat indice weather. I'm talking 95 degree temps and 70% humidity. Nasty weather. E85 runs cooler....from startup...to recovery from a stop n go scenario. As soon as you get air flow it's going to recover faster. Now just sitting? That's the debatable part

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
so what's too hot then, at what point do you start hurting shit? I don't know at what temp the factory gauge would start moving to to the hot side

MalcolmV8

Established Member
so what's too hot then, at what point do you start hurting shit? I don't know at what temp the factory gauge would start moving to to the hot side

Good question. I haven't pushed one till there was damage. When I got to 245F I started feeling uncomfortable and let out and drove it nicely the rest of the way home. That was a high 90s day.
Considering Ford only turns the high speed fan on at 228F stock I felt like a 10 ~ 15 degree buffer was acceptable.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Good question. I haven't pushed one till there was damage. When I got to 245F I started feeling uncomfortable and let out and drove it nicely the rest of the way home. That was a high 90s day.
Considering Ford only turns the high speed fan on at 228F stock I felt like a 10 ~ 15 degree buffer was acceptable.

You got to 245 on E85?!? Or was this with gas?

Was this your original factory compression motor or the 8.0 one?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
You got to 245 on E85?!? Or was this with gas?

Was this your original factory compression motor or the 8.0 one?

That's on E85 with 10.5 CR. Was driving aggressively with a heavy foot. Even when I was on 8.5 and 8.39 CR motors I regularly saw mid 230s F in summer and would have been more if pushed the car the way I recently did. Yes on E85. That's what I'm saying in mid hot summer with A/C I see no difference.

Users who are viewing this thread