coolant overflowing. need help!

weareweird69

SVT Addict.
Established Member
Okay. I had to replace the fan on my car. Which required removing the coolant resivour.

I didn't loose a ton of coolant but after reinstallation the car is now overflowing coolant from the bottle. I've bled the system via the crossover and made sure everything is sealed and full.

Car is not overheating or running funny.

Also I do not have much pressure on the coolant system. I can remove the cap without any coolant coming out or much pressure release. It doesn't seem like the system is holding pressure.

Im thinking that my cap is bad or the resivour got damaged from me taking it in and out about 10 times.

Any help would be appreciated since id like to drive my car before the snow flies!

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I'm thinking there might still be air in the system. Try burping it again.
Ok, just re-read your post. It could also be a bad cap, or warped res. due to the fact that it's not over heating.

weareweird69

SVT Addict.
Established Member
Thanks. That's what im leaning towards as well. Im going to get a new cap and burp it after work again.

Keep the ideas coming guys. Even if they are the same.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I don't see how removing the coolant reservoir would require burping the system. I did a reservoir swap on mine and never felt like the fluid level dropped any from the radiator.

I did have a leaking reservoir. It showed after a while as white marks on the fan itself. I found the best time to catch the leak in the act was right after you shut off the engine. Pretty much right after, I could hear the coolant spraying. I did the swap due to the pinhole leak I had found. The odd thing was that the reservoir still maintained pressure. I would get the hissing sound when removing the cap after the engine had cooled and everything.

weareweird69

SVT Addict.
Established Member
The hose on the bottom of the resivour was disconnected for about two weeks and it leaked down to that point in the system. So it was lower than id hoped.

I drove the car to work today and opened the hood right after shutting down. Coolant was about halfway between add and full. I removed the cap and the coolant didn't rise much at all. Mind you I have a 40 minute ride to work in the morning.

I wiped down the coolant resivour last night because it was all over it. And then this morning it was only on the backside.

Timeline:

Got home yesterday from work. Resivour was almost totally empty. Very minimal pressure on cap. Topped it off. Shut the car down. About an hour later I put the car away for the night. No leaks under the car. About 4 hours later. The resivour was empty again. I topped it off. Still no leaks under the car or under the hood.

Resivour was full this morning. Drove it to work. Minor overflow residue under the hood and the back of the resivour was wet where the black and clear plastic meet. But on top of the lip.

Im going to check it when I get ready to leave work. If it hasn't dropped ill leave it be and check for leaks under the car again. Im getting a new cap as its a cheap and easy fix if that is the issue. Hoping its that easy. Keep the thoughts coming and ill report back as they come in and as I diagnose.

Thank you so far

weareweird69

SVT Addict.
Established Member
I snuck a peak while at work. It dropped a little which I expected since it cooled. Still no leaks under the car... that's all I've got for now.

I do my research and try to not let anything get the best of me lol

Works been slow so I've spent a few hours searching and reading on my DROID. I think I've charged my phone three times today so far...

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
ALWAYS CHECK AND FILL THE SYSTEM AT THE CROSSOVER PLUG after verifying the reservoir is full - Do not rely on the reservoir bottle to degas the system or indicate coolant level

I think you have some air in the system. You always need to check and fill at the crossover. Also not a bad idea to replace the cap but your reservoir may have an issue.

Anytime the coolant system is opened (excluding the crossover plug or cap) the system needs to be properly refilled and burped. Any breach below the highest point (crossover tube) will allow air to enter the system. Procedure here: Ford 4.6L DOHC Coolant Refill & Burp Procedure by Reische Performance Products

Last edited:

weareweird69

SVT Addict.
Established Member
Got home. Used the dash gauge cluster to monitor temps. Got stuck in traffic for 20 minutes. Never got over 204* in the stop and go. Had pressure after shut down. No hissing noises or coolant spraying.

Replaced the cap. Checked crossover tube. It was full.

I added some and I mean like 2oz and it just stayed there. I reinstalled cap and some coolant came out of the threads.

I think it burped itself. I will drive it some more tonight and tomorrow and see what happens. I cleaned all the residue off everything so hopefully ill be able to trace it if it is a major issue leak.

weareweird69

SVT Addict.
Established Member
Okay, After all of the above, I drove it not even two miles, and I already have two drips coming from the little weep hole on the back side of the resi where it blows off the extra coolant.

So, now where am I? Is my coolant Resi warped?

BTW, the new cap is much tighter than the old one.

I dont think that air in the system would cause it to do that, that fast.

But what doesnt make sense is, I havent overheated the car...

Last edited:
Okay, After all of the above, I drove it not even two miles, and I already have two drips coming from the little weep hole on the back side of the resi where it blows off the extra coolant.

So, now where am I? Is my coolant Resi warped?

BTW, the new cap is much tighter than the old one.

I dont think that air in the system would cause it to do that, that fast.

But what doesnt make sense is, I havent overheated the car...

The OEM radiator expansion tank doesn't have a weep hole. It has a nipple that is supposed to have a very thin hose connected to it though which runs to the upper radiator nipple.

weareweird69

SVT Addict.
Established Member
I took a photo ill post it up in about an hour. The car bleeding is going to have ti wait till morning. It didn't cool enough yet

weareweird69

SVT Addict.
Established Member
Well Tomorrow I am going to start over, remove some coolant from the expansion tank, and burp the system following the correct process.

2011-10-07_20-37-56_851_Medium_.jpg

Correct me if Im wrong, but AIR in the system will over-pressurize the system, correct?

Banshee06

Established Member
This has happened to me before. Dont fill at the resivour tank only at the crossover. I had to start and drive mine about 4 times and let it cool and refill again at the resivour before it stopped comming out of the Resivour cap and I had tried 3 different new caps.

weareweird69

SVT Addict.
Established Member
This has happened to me before. Dont fill at the resivour tank only at the crossover. I had to start and drive mine about 4 times and let it cool and refill again at the resivour before it stopped comming out of the Resivour cap and I had tried 3 different new caps.

At the Resi, or at the Crossover?

Just asking because of your first sentance.

Why the hell did they even bother with the Resi cap? :nonono:

weareweird69

SVT Addict.
Established Member
How likely is it. That my system is override filled?

Followed the procedure and I ended up with a full funnel after the thermostat opened. I didn't add any coolant and no air really came out.

weareweird69

SVT Addict.
Established Member
Okay, I followed the procedure! Cold car, opened up the Crossover, insert funnel, add a small amount of coolant. It filled the funnel up after becoming warm (thermostat opened at 88* C/190* F) I let it run another minute, shut it down. No fluid came up, no fluid went down in the funnel. So I removed the coolant from the funnel, made sure to NOT loose the "prime" in the coolant system, and let air in. Closed up the crossover.

Opened it up an hour later, topped it off.

Topped it off again 3-4 hours later, it took a fair amount, not a whole lot. I capped it off, and drove the car all night long. Not a single drop lost!

I will check it again as soon as I can, but I may just leave it be since all is working properly.

I want to THANK YOU ALL for the help! It was good to hear personal experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread