Coolant in Oil

03.BLK.SVT

Established Member
I have done a ton of research on this site regarding blown head gaskets, but none seem like my situation...

A couple years back my intercooler froze & busted causing my cylinders to fill with coolant/water. I tried to start my vehicle with no success (without knowing the intercooler was busted). Long story short pulled plugs and fluid shot out of cylinders. Fixed the intercooler and started the car up..... WHITE SMOKE!!! Checked the oil and it was milky. Fast forward... I had the heads checked and resurfaced and paid someone to freshen up the bottom end and degree my cams. I put everything back together and started it up. It ran fine for about 2 minutes then WHITE SMOKE!!! My first reaction was it has to be my intercooler (I had it welded because it cracked in the back, but had it pressure tested before placing back on car). I checked the dipstick and did not see milky foam, so i assumed it had to be the intercooler.

I emptied the oil today and antifreeze was in the oil. My question is could it be the intercooler or a bad head gasket? I have NOT conducted a compression test or a leakdown because I pulled everything back off the car.

I really don't want to pull the motor again & be out the money for the second time, but I want my car to be right.

03.BLK.SVT

Established Member
No driving at all only idled. it was still on stands when I started. Also, there was coolant in the valley when I pulled the blower off.

hotcobra03

Established Member
so car sat after problem and work and this was the first start up in over a year?

i would expect smoke city and o2 sensors blowing..

what about oil cooler as cross over point?

it needs to sit and get hot for awhile.

or who really did heads? or say took them

i took my heads to shop,,, had 3 heads issues over many miles

03.BLK.SVT

Established Member
I smelled the antifreeze and shut it off to prevent further issues. I took the heads to a local shop.

DrakeSnake

Semper Fi
Established Member
I hate to say it but there are a lot of things it could be. but if the heads got done wrong would be my first guess. did you check the heads yourself at all?

gt347mustang

Established Member
Maybe you'll get lucky and its antifreeze in the exhaust?

I've had this happen to me a few times. Customers come in with a blown motor and practically shoot engine parts through the exhaust. When the new motor fires up, it burns all the crap out of the h-pipe and mufflers.

03.BLK.SVT

Established Member
But what would cause coolant in oil & in the valley below lower intake? I did not personally inspect the heads because the shop is very reputable and do quality work. I was thinking of putting everything back together with different color coolant in the expansion tank to see if I could narrow the problem. If my intercooler is leaking could it get to the oilpan?

DrakeSnake

Semper Fi
Established Member
If the intercooler is leaking bad it could suck coolant down into the intake. change the coolant or put dye in it to see if thats the issue. but i personally would not take the chance if it was me. Put a pressure tester on the thing dont run it.

Last edited:

gt347mustang

Established Member
But what would cause coolant in oil & in the valley below lower intake? I did not personally inspect the heads because the shop is very reputable and do quality work. I was thinking of putting everything back together with different color coolant in the expansion tank to see if I could narrow the problem. If my intercooler is leaking could it get to the oilpan?

Sorry, I just skimmed it originally... Sounds like you got some big issues.

Pressure test the IC system and coolant system and report back.

hotcobra03

Established Member
the orings on the 2 tubes is my call ..or cooler is still leaking ..

do you have stock tank or larger,,will tell how much coolant could be in lower intake

..pcv hose is how if not through intake into cylinders than past rings....for starters

crazycarlo

Established Member
Put dye in one of the coolant tanks. Let idle for a few mintues. Note if the coolant level has dropped in either tank. And check for dye in the coolant your seeing. I would think that if you had the IC pressure tested it would be good.

03.BLK.SVT

Established Member
UPDATE.. I did a compression test and the 2nd cylinder from front of car on passenger side only has 30 lbs. Not sure if the valves are sticking/bad or leaky gaskets.

Last edited:

MattACK

Established Member
What probably happened was when you tried to start the car, the piston tried to compress the standing water that was in the cylinder which blew out your gasket in that cylinder. Personal experience is that simply because you have good compression when performing a compression test does not mean it will hold up against combustion pressures. Best thing to do is to tear down the whole motor and inspect everything.

Sucks, but that is why you run anti-freeze for i/c fluid when it is cold.

03.BLK.SVT

Established Member
Update #2... Also performed a leak down test to all cylinders to locate the leakage & all were less than 10% which is ok from what i have read. My cousin is suggesting the cams were not installed correctly. If his theory is correct, wouldn't the motor run poorly & backfire? I did have someone install the cams for me because he has built multiple 4v motors... Does anyone have instructions on cam installations? Ideas?

Last edited:

gt347mustang

Established Member
Update #2... Also performed a leak down test to all cylinders to locate the leakage & all were less than 10% which is ok from what i have read. My cousin is suggesting the cams were not installed correctly. Does anyone have instructions on cam installations? Ideas?

I'm confused on how it has bad compression but passes a leak down test?

03.BLK.SVT

Established Member
What probably happened was when you tried to start the car, the piston tried to compress the standing water that was in the cylinder which blew out your gasket in that cylinder. Personal experience is that simply because you have good compression when performing a compression test does not mean it will hold up against combustion pressures. Best thing to do is to tear down the whole motor and inspect everything.

Sucks, but that is why you run anti-freeze for i/c fluid when it is cold.

I did have anti-freeze in the I/C, but apparently not enough :bash:

Users who are viewing this thread