Coolant flush? Is it that big of a deal?

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
I have factory fluid still in the car. Been doing a lot of work on it this spring and figured I would change that. I did a lot of searching and some have this huge write up with all these detailed steps in attempt to get every last drop out. Just curious what most of yal are doing. Is there a simple way to do it? I am not overly concerned to get all of it out, if a guy gets 50-75% out and do it a every few years, should get a lot of old crap out or am I missing something. Or is there a simple flush kit or something. Also, when it comes to fluid color, what are most people doing these days. Mine is one of the first build 03s and I think it has green in it. Thanks

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Did mine last summer. Started with the Ford flush, then pulled apart the bottom hose where the t-stat is to drain and opened the rad drain. Pulled the crossover plug and took the hose and flushed the water through. Then took a couple gallons of spring water and ran that through. From there I blew compressed air into the crossover to try and get rid of any water. Put everything back together and refilled and burped the system. I'm sure there was still some original left, but I wasn't worried about it.

Mach828

Established Member
Don't touch the radiator plug. It is a cheap POS plastic plug, easy to break.

Just drain it from thermostat housing, and you will be able to get most of it out. No need trying to get every last drop.

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
so drain the thermostat plug? Where is that? Also do I need to do something to get it out of the supercharger cooler, I can drain the reservoir no problem.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Just take the two bolts out that hold the thermostat housing to together out. For the IC/HE system just pull the lower hose off the heat exchanger,

racecougar

MN12 parts guy
Established Member
Don't touch the radiator plug. It is a cheap POS plastic plug, easy to break.

It certainly is. If you do remove it, and are interested in installing a better plug, use Dorman 090078. It's $1.89 + shipping at RockAuto.

getimage.php

weaselp1

Established Member
Just take the two bolts out that hold the thermostat housing to together out. For the IC/HE system just pull the lower hose off the heat exchanger,

^this

It certainly is. If you do remove it, and are interested in installing a better plug, use Dorman 090078. It's $1.89 + shipping at RockAuto.

getimage.php

Thanks for that part number...next time I change coolant I will be sure to get this better plug.

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
Does anybody know the exact size or part # for the o-ring that seals the cross-over fill plug? I have tried several sizes and they all seem either too small or too large.

SpectorV

Established Member
I had mine changed back around 07 and I had ford do their vacuum thing on it, no real issues (slight overflow the next day but after that it was fine)

B-O-B'03

Established Member
PM trunce10, he's the one doing the aftermarket crossover plugs.

Or, better yet, buy one of his crossover plugs... very nice piece, well worth the money, you never have to worry about stripping out the hole and comes with the correct O-ring.

-Brian

The PH of the coolant can genuinely be a concern. Allegedly, very acidic coolant can be a direct cause for eating head gaskets and the gasket of the water pump. Have used coolant ph test strips myself and have found 2yr old coolant to be rather acidic. What that translates into, as far as 'damage' to any components in the cooling system or motor...remains to be verified.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Or, better yet, buy one of his crossover plugs... very nice piece, well worth the money, you never have to worry about stripping out the hole and comes with the correct O-ring.

-Brian

I agree, and should have suggested that seeing as I have one.

jblood37

Established Member
I have factory fluid still in the car. Been doing a lot of work on it this spring and figured I would change that. I did a lot of searching and some have this huge write up with all these detailed steps in attempt to get every last drop out. Just curious what most of yal are doing. Is there a simple way to do it? I am not overly concerned to get all of it out, if a guy gets 50-75% out and do it a every few years, should get a lot of old crap out or am I missing something. Or is there a simple flush kit or something. Also, when it comes to fluid color, what are most people doing these days. Mine is one of the first build 03s and I think it has green in it. Thanks

It is not as hard as some make it out to be. The real problem is the bolt in the coolant crossover. It is a POS!! Took me forever to get out. Do yourself a favor and replace it when you drain your coolant. I'd just replace the coolant with the same color that's in it now.

Users who are viewing this thread