Coolant cross over delete and fuel filter?

mark23svt

Established Member
So might be weird question but my hose (the thermostat housing to the crossover delete) has a slash in it. Not leaking but just don’t feel safe to run like that for a while. I’m guessing it got the slash from trying to push the tensioner to remove belt or what not. So looking for this hose I think it’s discontinued because I can’t seem to find it anywhere. So I’m thinking maybe just to go with a cobra engineering crossover delete and remove that hose all together just wanted to see if there is any negative effect I would just cap the thermostat for now until I go a diff route for the bottom. And also before spring I have been doing maintance in the car just missing the fuel filter I put a pic up just to see if anyone can help determine if it’s a short or long filter from lethal. I run the car on e. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_6336.jpeg
    IMG_6336.jpeg
    212.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_6440.jpeg
    IMG_6440.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 38

03' White Snake

Established Member
That looks like the same one I run, the standard filter. I run 10 micron SS filter. They are re-useable and cleanable. I clean mine with a soft bristle brush and carb cleaner.

Standard is 5.5" long x 2" diameter, X-Large version is 6.5" long x 2.75" diameter for reference.

mark23svt

Established Member
That looks like the same one I run, the standard filter. I run 10 micron SS filter. They are re-useable and cleanable. I clean mine with a soft bristle brush and carb cleaner.

Standard is 5.5" long x 2" diameter, X-Large version is 6.5" long x 2.75" diameter for reference.
Oh nice I Didn’t know we can clean them. Quick noob question, do I have to wait till car is almost on empty to change it out or clean it or is there an easier way like removing fuel pump fuse. (Not too sure on the return systems). Thanks.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Oh nice I Didn’t know we can clean them. Quick noob question, do I have to wait till car is almost on empty to change it out or clean it or is there an easier way like removing fuel pump fuse. (Not too sure on the return systems). Thanks.
No need to do any of that. You will lose some gas but not much. Whenever you want to change it/clean it is fine.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Fuel level in the tank doesn't matter at all for this. Depends where your filter is mounted and you can reach it without touching the tank. Mine is accessible under the car.

I use a large adjustable on the filter housing hex to hold it, using a different wrench, remove the line on 1 side. Have a bucket to catch the fuel, it will come from the filter and the line side. Then the filter housing can be opened up and the filter removed. I use 2 large adjustable wrenches on the filter housing to open it up. It is really not hard to do.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I believe the terminator oil cooler was different than the mach 1 but I used a GT lower hose to delete the thermostat housing when doing the crossover delete, a little trimming on the ends was all.

mark23svt

Established Member
Fuel level in the tank doesn't matter at all for this. Depends where your filter is mounted and you can reach it without touching the tank. Mine is accessible under the car.

I use a large adjustable on the filter housing hex to hold it, using a different wrench, remove the line on 1 side. Have a bucket to catch the fuel, it will come from the filter and the line side. Then the filter housing can be opened up and the filter removed. I use 2 large adjustable wrenches on the filter housing to open it up. It is really not hard to do.
Ok thank you, will clean it this weekend really all I needed to finish maintenance.

mark23svt

Established Member
I believe the terminator oil cooler was different than the mach 1 but I used a GT lower hose to delete the thermostat housing when doing the crossover delete, a little trimming on the ends was all.
Ok nice! Which unit did you end up using for your delete kit?

mark23svt

Established Member
On3 but cobra engineering stuff wasn’t out yet
Ok, thanks and yeah im leaning towards cobra engineering. Was just wondering since they do offer a kit now that retains your stock thermostat placing just removes crossover. So was thinking does it matter where the thermostat is or if it makes a difference.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Ok, thanks and yeah im leaning towards cobra engineering. Was just wondering since they do offer a kit now that retains your stock thermostat placing just removes crossover. So was thinking does it matter where the thermostat is or if it makes a difference.

No idea tbh.

It wasn’t an option when I did mine and I wanted to get all that mess out of the way. I have no regrets with my setup and it’s sooooo easy to burp now.

mark23svt

Established Member
No idea tbh.

It wasn’t an option when I did mine and I wanted to get all that mess out of the way. I have no regrets with my setup and it’s sooooo easy to burp now.
Well still thanks man I appreciate it. And yes I should clean everything up it does look nice and makes life easier lol

efnfast

Established Member
You can find that hose periodically on ebay as NOS from various Ford vendors. Supply tends to pop up once every 3-4 months.

I couldn't find one when I replaced my crossover tube so I went with Cobra Engineering's setup. Was pretty straightforward to install. I would do it again.

Btw, most of the threads say you can't remove the cross-over tube with the blower on and need to either remove it or lift the intake manifold. I was able to remove the cross-over tube with everything attached .... there's like a millimeter of room but it can be done.

01yellercobra

Established Member
FWIW, it really doesn't matter where the t-stat is. I think the draw to moving it up top is usually that moves the fill point up top as well. No more bleeding issues. Just fill it up like the old days.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
FWIW, it really doesn't matter where the t-stat is. I think the draw to moving it up top is usually that moves the fill point up top as well. No more bleeding issues. Just fill it up like the old days.

i put a real small hole in the top of the outside ring of the thermostat, dont know if it helps or not but just being able to fill up the res, get it to temp, and top it off is great.

01yellercobra

Established Member
i put a real small hole in the top of the outside ring of the thermostat, dont know if it helps or not but just being able to fill up the res, get it to temp, and top it off is great.
I've heard that helps too. I was hell bent on doing a crossover delete for a while and for some reason one day I looked at the engine and decided I liked the stock set up.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I've heard that helps too. I was hell bent on doing a crossover delete for a while and for some reason one day I looked at the engine and decided I liked the stock set up.

the bypass line was hugely inconvenient with the location of the procharger idler and made it easier to work the tensioner to put belts on too.

mark23svt

Established Member
You can find that hose periodically on ebay as NOS from various Ford vendors. Supply tends to pop up once every 3-4 months.

I couldn't find one when I replaced my crossover tube so I went with Cobra Engineering's setup. Was pretty straightforward to install. I would do it again.

Btw, most of the threads say you can't remove the cross-over tube with the blower on and need to either remove it or lift the intake manifold. I was able to remove the cross-over tube with everything attached .... there's like a millimeter of room but it can be done.
Ok good lol since I’m planning to do it with the 2.3 whipple still on. Also what is your advice for the lower hose (just cap it off)? Thanks.

01yellercobra

Established Member
If you cap the the spot for the hose you need to drill a hole in the thermostat. If you don't you'll never get all the air out.

Users who are viewing this thread