Cooking with Brembo....warning! Dumbness inside.

twistedneck

Established Member
Thanks for the information. I got a deal on some stock rotors locally from a guy. I'm going to install pads too when I get around to ordering them. If the guy that I got them from has a set of stock pads he said he would give them to me. I would buy some entry level race pads like the DTC-60 and swap them out when I plan on having some fun.

I had to give up on anything 800F or above due to squeal issues. Street brakes hit 600F maybe 800F max if you are coming down from highway speeds.. on a track you can hit 1100-1400F and that's with brake cooling ducts that's where you get the big time pads. Nice thing is they wont squeal in their operating range but if you get em cold watch out. same luck I had with 800F pads.

Stevedotmil

Aim Small/Miss Small
Established Member
Slowing down from highway speeds in the US and here in Germany on the Autobahn are much different experiences. And the off ramps here are short and curvy in addition to the high speeds. I can deal with the squealing until they get some heat in them.

Stevedotmil

Aim Small/Miss Small
Established Member
I picked up some stock rotors from a guy locally that he didn't ever use when he got the GT500 upgrade kit. So all I am getting is pads now I'm going with the Hawk HP Plus pads. Thanks for all the input because it has been super helpful.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Hope the new pads hold up better. Been a big fan of PF pads and some of the Raybestos stuff.

Stevedotmil

Aim Small/Miss Small
Established Member
Anyone know if it will throw the brake bias off if I have the stock TP pads on the rear and HP Plus pads in the front?

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
I don't think you'll have any issue. I've run PF08's up front with the stock Brembo rear pads on several track days and never experienced an issue.

Last edited:

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Hope it's warmer in Germany than it is here currently. My bill for heating the garage these days is getting pretty ridiculous:)

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
No need for slotted rotors either, but most certainly not drilled.

I've read tons of articles on this, and read more discussions than I care to recall. But everytime I pose this point, I fail to get a reasonable answer. Almost all high performance big brake kits come with either slots or drilled rotors, sometimes both. I get that crossdrilling has become more of a cool factor thing as technology created a pad that no longer needed the holes to vent, but using slotted to me seems like it would be beneficial by keeping pad surfaces fresh and allowing any potential gas to "vent" into the slot and keep the pad fresh. It also seems like it would aid in wiping water during rain, or keeping debris free of the pad. Just curious of your opinions on the slots. ( I get the whole crossdrilling reduces surface area and heat dissipation and creates a greater likelihood of cracks)

Last edited:

Stevedotmil

Aim Small/Miss Small
Established Member
All of these are very valid reasons as to why to stay away from drilled rotors. One of the main reasons I opted to just get stock rotors was the pending sale of my car. Most of the high performance brake kits do use drilled rotors but for some reason we don't hear about them cracking as much as just buying the rotors and having them crack.

Last edited:

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
All of these are very valid reasons as to why to stay away from drilled rotors. One of the main reasons I opted to just get stock rotors was the pending sale of my car. Most of the high performance brake kits do use drilled rotors but for some reason we don't hear about them cracking as much as just buying the rotors and having them crack.

IMO, many race cars with drilled/slotted setups are much lighter and have bettter brake cooling than the typical Mustang. Considering the cost of many high end setups, I would also hope they used some higher quality steel as well. But considering how cheap a Centric premium rotor is for the 13" Brembo setup, and how well they hold up overall, it's hard to seriously consider anything else as a better option for the typical track day guru. But some of the slotted setups do look cool:)

Stevedotmil

Aim Small/Miss Small
Established Member
I was checking those out as well because some of the racing guys use them solely because they are durable and cheap. I happened on some stock rotors for half the price of what I could get them from a vendor for. It was a no brainer. Brake cooling is the key with the race teams. The braking force to stop a lighter racecar with better cooling allows the drilled rotors. I think some of them are actually forged with the holes in them so as to avoid drilling and causing weak points.

Users who are viewing this thread