Converting to E85?

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
Im sorry but the things that people do to their cars sometimes cracks me up.

You converted for no reason. Sorry to tell you.

Curious, whats done to the GT? Motor? Kind of blower? boost #'s?

warpd

Established Member
droptopsnake01 said:
if you convert your car to E85 your a ****in idiot, or you like to throw money away.

put some 110 in that bitch and go to town.

Are you serious man? The price of petroleum products is only gonna go up, oil will run out eventually . Here in Auburn, 93 is already about $3/gallon. E85 gives us a viable alternative to continue using our internal combustion engines and not some shitty electric Toyota, plus it could get rid of alot of our dependence on foreign oil (ie. THE MIDDLE EAST ). E85 is not big in the south yet, but it could be. This is actually an awesome solution for people who live in the mid-west. Cheaper and more power to boot, uhh I'm not really seeing the downside here aside from availability (which can and will change).

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
warpd said:
Are you serious man? The price of petroleum products is only gonna go up, oil will run out eventually . Here in Auburn, 93 is already about $3/gallon. E85 gives us a viable alternative to continue using our internal combustion engines and not some shitty electric Toyota, plus it could get rid of alot of our dependence on foreign oil (ie. THE MIDDLE EAST ). E85 is not big in the south yet, but it could be. This is actually an awesome solution for people who live in the mid-west. Cheaper and more power to boot, uhh I'm not really seeing the downside here aside from availability (which can and will change).

or the ONE THOUSAND dollar price tag just to switch.

by the time you die oil/gas will not run out, and im sure by then I wont have my cobra anyways.

Im not talking about other cars here, hell I gould give a rats ass if my taurus runs on fried chicken as long as it runs.

The original debate was for "go fast" purposes, and I said race gas, hence "race" gas.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
warpd said:

LOL if you think oil is running out anytime soon, you've been listening to the liberals too much...and the ONLY reason that E85 is cheaper is because of governmnet subsidizing...which will NOT continue if E85's popularity grows...right now it is not a cost effective energy solution...now that could change if technology helps...

THE_STIG

Established Member
Buy a 50 gal drum, plastic (We use them to keep diesel for the fork lifts, ony cost about $30-50). Go to a gas station, fill it um, go to advance auto, and buy alot of octane booster. Sit down with a peice of paper and a calculator, do some equations. Get the right mixture of octance booster and fuel. Add together. Pull up car, fill car up. Light up tires, smile. Go home have beer and fall asleep.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
droptop01snake said:
if you convert your car to E85 your a ****in idiot, or you like to throw money away.

put some 110 in that bitch and go to town.

Is it necessary to call me names just because I'm asking questions, doing some research and looking at doing something different? I thought innovation was the name of the game for people like us?

. . . Perhaps I'll just make my car just like yours and you won't think I'm and ****in idiot . . .

:rolleyes:

droptopsnake said:
Im sorry but the things that people do to their cars sometimes cracks me up.

You converted for no reason. Sorry to tell you.

Curious, whats done to the GT? Motor? Kind of blower? boost #'s?
His numbers and set up are here: http://www.e85mustangs.com/rides.html

Car Owner: Steve Shrader, Mount Holly, NC
Year/Model: 1999 Mustang GT 4.6L 2V
Dyno Results: 471 rwhp / 424 rwtq SAE
1/4 mile: 11.36 at 123.8 mph
Running E85 since: Aug 2006

Fuel System: 60 lb Siemens injectors, 03 Cobra fuel pumps, Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump (at 30%), stock lines, rails, filter, & tank

Other major performance upgrades: Vortech SQ Supercharger w/intercooler, 3.33" pulley, Meziere's electric water pump, 75mm Accufab Throttlebody, C&L plenum, Anderson power pipe, Pro-M MAF, 3.73 gear, Alum. driveshaft, 315/35/17 Drag Radials, separate SCT tunes by Pro-Dyno for Summer E85 and Winter E85.

Oh hey, I noticed he's a N.C. native too, why don't you go over to his house and beat him up!

droptopsnake01 said:
or the ONE THOUSAND dollar price tag just to switch.

by the time you die oil/gas will not run out, and im sure by then I wont have my cobra anyways.

Im not talking about other cars here, hell I gould give a rats ass if my taurus runs on fried chicken as long as it runs.

The original debate was for "go fast" purposes, and I said race gas, hence "race" gas.

Uhm, actually this major $$$ fuel system re-engineering seems to be a myth so say the people who have already done this sort of thing:
http://hitechmotorsport.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=96

HiTechMotorsports said:
Cost is $800 per vehicle and can be done in a few hours.

Our program includes a “flip switch” so you can change between gasoline and E-85.
This allows you to travel anywhere in the U.S. or Canada and change your type of fuel type if E-85 is not available. One of the knocks on E-85 is the rumor that it ruins fuel injectors, fuel pumps and lines. We have had our test vehicles out for 18 months and 40,000 miles and have not seen any difference in wear or corrosion. The 15-20% gasoline used in E-85 appears to lubricate all the pumps and injectors to the point where 100% gasoline use is not required.

Now I'm not saying that I'm 100% convinced by this sort of statement, but I'm a lot more inclined to believe someone who's been to the top of the mountain rather than those who just talk about how cold they think it is at the peak! In reality most of the cost to do this conversion seems to be tied up in the flip chip, which I don't need, and the dyno tuning time which I was going to do anyways b/c of the N20.

I was already planning on upgrading my fuel pump to a Ford GT pump which costs around $75 and also upgrading the fuel injectors to 36# just to give myself some additional head room. So that would be about $200 from the parts guy in this forum. I was going to do these things and get tuning done anyways, so as long as I'm doing I might as well pick out components that are E85 compatible because here's the cool part, once the parts are in place I can always run conventional gasoline especially since I'm going to be tuning w/ the XCal2. I can even datalog later on down the road and do comparisons.

Otherwise I have seen no indication anywhere at all that all of this crazy and expensive reworking of the fuel system that people talk about is even necessary. If anyone has actual proof of this, I would really like to see it b/c I am trying to be as objective as possible about this and just gathering the facts. So far cost of parts is looking like $300 > and it's for stuff I was planning on doing anyways.

Furthermore, just researching my own home town in north county St. Louis suburbs, there are four gas stations offering E85 in the metro area. Two of these stations are w/ in 15 mins of my house and the closest is about 8 mins away ( I timed it the other day just to see ). Both stations offer E85 at .20c less than 87 octane which is currently about 2.689 in my area. That means 93 is running about 2.909 and the available E85 is a clear .50c less. Filling up a 13 gal tank w/ 105 octane now becomes $6.50 less than filling up w/ 93 octane! While I'm not considering this for the money savings at the pump, that part doesn't offend me!

Just for the sake of fair comparisons though, I looked up the cost of the vaunted VP Fuels 101 & 109 octane b/c that seems to be the closest ball park to the 105 octane E85. Turns out there is one VP Fuel distributor in my area. They are over in Illinois approx. 35 mins from my house. Currently their prices are $9.04/gal for 101 and $9.95/gal for 109! Assuming that I'd want to mix about two gallons of this liquid gold per tankful, I've just not spent close to an extra $30 for something that I think might be maybe-kinda-sorta about 100 octane. We won't even go into whether or not mixing vastly different fuel grades in your tank is consistent or even productive as I've heard many a tuner say that after a few hours two different fuel grades start to separate in your tank and can create inconsistent mixtures which is a tunning mightmare!
Source linkage: http://www.tuxedoparkracing.com/VPRacingFuel.html

The other thing about obtaining race fuel from a shop is that typically you have to buy in at least a 5 gal drum, transport it yourself ( imagine that smell lingering in your car! ) and you can only get during the shops business hours. By running E85 available at a local gas station you can get as much as you want, whenever you want! 10 gals at 2 p.m. on Tuesday, or 5 gals at 3 a.m. on Sunday morning! Oh and if you wanna go out an have a little fun at say like 11 p.m. on Friday night and the performance shop is closed, no problem, just cruise through the local E85 station on your way to the meeting spot!

quick01snake said:
LOL if you think oil is running out anytime soon, you've been listening to the liberals too much...and the ONLY reason that E85 is cheaper is because of governmnet subsidizing...which will NOT continue if E85's popularity grows...right now it is not a cost effective energy solution...now that could change if technology helps...

Why is it that every time a conservative hears something they disagree w/ thier first reaction is to try to kick a liberal in the nutz?!

It may be that E85 is cheaper because of govt. subsidies but frankly I don't care about the why, all I care about is what I have to pay when I pull up at the pump. From my perspective if E85 did catch on w/ widening popularity that would only be good for American business since homegrown ( literally ) and also better for the environment. It's obviously better for me as the car nut b/c even if the E85 subsidies ended today and the price was $5.00/gal tomorrow, that's still half of what VP 109 costs on the other side of town during regular business hours!

South NJ Stang said:
Buy a 50 gal drum, plastic (We use them to keep diesel for the fork lifts, ony cost about $30-50). Go to a gas station, fill it um, go to advance auto, and buy alot of octane booster. Sit down with a peice of paper and a calculator, do some equations. Get the right mixture of octance booster and fuel. Add together. Pull up car, fill car up. Light up tires, smile. Go home have beer and fall asleep.

:lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

Dude, that's way to complicated for my puny little brain! Besides, I'm pretty sure you need to have a HazMat permit to store something like that in addition to the fact that I've got no room in my one car garage for something like that when a car is actually in there!

Seeing as how I live in a condo complex w/ a number of retirees as neighbors I'm pretty sure they'd complain to the condo assoc. about my keeping a 50 gal drum of high octane fuel in the garage or out on the back porch and doing burn outs in the common driveway!

:lol1:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
South NJ Stang said:

just so you don't try this, that store bought octane booster gives you about a .4 increase in octane. In otherwords, its bullshit. Torco is really the only one that works

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
quadcammer said:
just so you don't try this, that store bought octane booster gives you about a .4 increase in octane. In otherwords, its bullshit. Torco is really the only one that works
Yep, have heard that but the Torco ain't cheap neither!

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
REX-RACER said:
Why is it that every time a conservative hears something they disagree w/ thier first reaction is to try to kick a liberal in the nutz?!

It may be that E85 is cheaper because of govt. subsidies but frankly I don't care about the why, all I care about is what I have to pay when I pull up at the pump. From my perspective if E85 did catch on w/ widening popularity that would only be good for American business since homegrown ( literally ) and also better for the environment. It's obviously better for me as the car nut b/c even if the E85 subsidies ended today and the price was $5.00/gal tomorrow, that's still half of what VP 109 costs on the other side of town during regular business hours!

i should clarify, i blame Al F***ing Gore...and the liberal media...not all libs in general...if you assume how much we have left solely based on what we've found so far, that is ludicrous...but that is what is going on all over...

yeah but is it worth the extra octane and 20 cents lower per gallon to end up with ~35% worse fuel economy? (i could be wrong, but assuming b/c of the richer ratio required by E85)

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
REX-RACER said:
Is it necessary to call me names just because I'm asking questions, doing some research and looking at doing something different? I thought innovation was the name of the game for people like us

Did I call you "names" or are you ASSuming I did?

Again, do what you want, dosnt bother me none.

Or you could just put a fuel pump in that same car and run GASOLINE and still make the same power. But that wouldnt be cool and "innovative" :loser:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
REX-RACER said:

i read somewhere that its like 180 bucks for a 55 gallon drum, and mixing enough to make the octane high 90's would cost you like 50 cents more per gallon burned than just gasoline...

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
REX-RACER said:

it's not cheap but then again neither is a rebuild

I love TORCO!!! the stuff works great
my car is different animal on my TORCO tune

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
This thread to a turn for the worse after some people started to throw in hteir social commentary and personal beliefs. I'm not suprised, because this happens quite often here on SVTP. Why can't you just answer the question and move on? If you don't have an answer or suggestion, don't post and move on.

This seems to be happening way too often lately and the folowing post is a prime example of why this site is going to $hit.

droptopsnake01 said:

GreyAsp

Established Member
na svt said:
This thread to a turn for the worse after some people started to throw in hteir social commentary and personal beliefs. I'm not suprised, because this happens quite often here on SVTP. Why can't you just answer the question and move on? If you don't have an answer or suggestion, don't post and move on.

This seems to be happening way too often lately and the folowing post is a prime example of why this site is going to $hit.
+LOTS.

The OP has some valid points. If you don't agree with the him or the other responses, make your objection known and be done with it. Save your slams and off-topic BS for the braindead idiocy in smackdown.

THE_STIG

Established Member
quadcammer said:

I said buy ALOT of it :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread