Convertible top question... original owners

dpj99cobra

NC Mustanger
Established Member
If you know your car's complete history or are the original owner could you shed some light on a top question?

Is the rear glass on an '04 Cobra going to have "Carlite" indicated or some other identifier? I have had a trim shop tell me that my top is not original because it didn't say "Ford" or some such on the glass. They also made a comment about the top material and was indicating that it was not an original due to that but I don't think they realized that the '03/'04's Cobras came with cloth tops.

So, if you know any of these answers or have any other clues to check for the originality of a convertible top I would be interested to know them. I know it's common to have tops replaced so I wanted to check with some original owners on this subject or those that knew for sure the history of their car.

Thanks.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
the only writing on the glass that is visible from outside the car is as follows:

V (in a circle) Carlite R(in a circle, registered symbol) SOLAR TINT
TEMPERED AS2 DOT -287 M174
3 F

those three lines are directly centered at the lower edge of the backglass

yes all terminators came with cloth tops

and congrats on your comp orange vert purchase

Last edited:

dpj99cobra

NC Mustanger
Established Member
Here's a pic of mine, would appear that it's the same as yours. Unless the glass is reused when a top is replaced that would lead me to believe this could be the original. Thanks for the info. It's cool to own this one and the color has special meaning to our family so finding one was awesome.

rearglass_sm.jpg

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
It has been my experiance, the top usually does not come with the glass, when buying a new top.

Cro. Your pi ture , that is an original ford window.

dpj99cobra

NC Mustanger
Established Member
Thanks ashleyroachclip. That would make sense then if the glass is in fact reinstalled in a new top. I have not had to replace a top so I was unsure how that process worked. Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread