convertible top gets puffy at highway speed

scooterposse

FRRRRRRRRRUNKIS
Established Member
any way i can get the puff to stop with out putting a new top on? it just puffs up on the pass. side.
thanks in advance

Lethal SVT97

BLUEVNM
Established Member
best to eliminate that is to put the top down.;-) i only drive my car on nice days. and the top comes down everytime.:beer:

guitar1118

Established Member
I bet if you lowered your top to between 1/2 and 3/4s of the way down, lifted the top above the rear window on the outside you would see that the staples have pulled out on the passenger side above the rear window, they are real thin 1/2 inch stainless steel staples and I believe this is a commen promblem with verts, fix? You could take it to a shop and maybe they will fix it,(some shops will) I understand a lot of the shops will try to sell you a new top. The stainless staples I have read are about 50.00 for 100 of them. Myself, there is only one shop here where I live and I was not going to buy a new top because mine is still in great shape so I pulled it back tight and restapled it with galvinized 1/2 inch staples, I now check it occasionally to see if they start rusting, so far they are not but if it appears they are then maybe I'll try sealing them with something. Still thinking about what and maybe someone hear has a suggestion?

Terry

Last edited:

CobraMac

Established Member
I bet if you lowered your top to between 1/2 and 3/4s of the way down, lifted the top above the rear window on the outside you would see that the staples have pulled out on the passenger side above the rear window, they are real thin 1/2 inch stainless steel staples and I believe this is a commen promblem with verts, fix? You could take it to a shop and maybe they will fix it,(some shops will) I understand a lot of the shops will try to sell you a new top. The stainless staples I have read are about 50.00 for 100 of them. Myself, there is only one shop here where I live and I was not going to buy a new top because mine is still in great shape so I pulled it back tight and restapled it with galvinized 1/2 inch staples, I now check it occasionally to see if they start rusting, so far they are not but if it appears they are then maybe I'll try sealing them with something. Still thinking about what and maybe someone hear has a suggestion?

Terry

EXACTLY what was wrong with mine....took mine to an interior/convertible car upholsterer and cost me about 35 bucks and they replaced the tiny staples with biggg ones. No more bubble!

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
EXACTLY what was wrong with mine....took mine to an interior/convertible car upholsterer and cost me about 35 bucks and they replaced the tiny staples with biggg ones. No more bubble!
Yea, still waiting on that info yo.. . Get at me.. :coolman:

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
haha so THATS what causes it. i have seen other verts (not cobras, just verts in general) that do that...and i always think to myself as im flyin down the hiway (with the top up)...thinkin...maaan i sure do hope MY top isnt all puffed up as im driving like that ONE car i saw haha

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I bet if you lowered your top to between 1/2 and 3/4s of the way down, lifted the top above the rear window on the outside you would see that the staples have pulled out on the passenger side above the rear window, they are real thin 1/2 inch stainless steel staples and I believe this is a commen promblem with verts, fix?

Terry

exactly what happened to mine. a body shop re-stapled it for 25 bucks. That was over a year ago and my top is tight and like new. I also recommend cleaning the top thoroughly and applying some of that 303 product sun umbrella treatment, made the top on my car water resistant again and also kind of renewed it in my opinion. just tape the car off good because you don't want overspray on the windows or paint

IMG_2971.JPG

IMG_2974.JPG

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
sure its not just ballooning due to top design/aerodynamics?

from what i can tell seeing a buttload of convertibles on the freeway, is certain makes/models must use a shittier vert system that allows ballooning like you see. Other cars dont have this problem.

My top is from 1998 and doesnt balloon, nor has any Spyder top ive seen. Every mustang, camaro and some sebrings (not all) do it on every car. I think its just bad design and aerodynamics sucking the top up as wind travels over the roof.

exactly what happened to mine. a body shop re-stapled it for 25 bucks. That was over a year ago and my top is tight and like new. I also recommend cleaning the top thoroughly and applying some of that 303 product sun umbrella treatment, made the top on my car water resistant again and also kind of renewed it in my opinion. just tape the car off good because you don't want overspray on the windows or paint

IMG_2971.JPG

IMG_2974.JPG

+1 on taping off like this. Any protectant is a PITA to clean off once it hits windows/body.

Ive been using the Kiwi Canvas protectant/waterproofing stuff with great results (better than RaggTopp). My butyl core on the top has degraded to the point that without the waterproofing; rain soaks the entire top and drips through. Driving through rainstorms at times; i might as well leave the top down.

Last edited:

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member

IMG_2971.JPG

IMG_2974.JPG

coo were did u get the spray from, i have been using ragg topp spray and it just aint doing the trick?

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I had the same puffy top issue a while back.
A local shop showed me the loose/missing staples and fixed it for $50.
No problems since.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
coo were did u get the spray from, i have been using ragg topp spray and it just aint doing the trick?

i see you're in odessa....not sure if they have marine/boat stores in your area, but 303 products are essentially for boats. Just about any marine store will have that line.

if you don't, try autogeek.net. massive selection of detailing products

and if you use autogeek and order online, use discount code AUTOPIA and you will save 10% on the order. good luck :rockon:

totenkopf13

Trouser Snake
Established Member
This is good to know. I have often wondered if mine is puffing. I have seen alot of mustangs with the bubble top.

mrose75

Established Member
coupe FTL!!!!!

We are able to run with the top up anytime we want...you can't EVER put the top down......that sux!!!!

Love my vert...as stated...if i can't put the top down..im not driving it

:poke:I'm just teasing. Verts are nice, just not my thing.

Users who are viewing this thread