Convertible suspension questions

Steve23

Established Member
I have yellow Koni Sport 5-way adjustable front/rear shocks/struts for my 03. I have a convertible. My question is, I plan on using my car as a part time drag car. First question is, would putting coupe springs on my convertible help road handling more than say a set of convertible springs? Secondly, what about at the drag strip with an adjustable strut and shock set up, such as my current Koni, single adjustable setup with factory springs? How can I achieve a car that can be used part time at the drag strip, but still do ok on the street? I'm not a person who drives hard in the corners, in fact I hate it. I'm relatively a grandma on the street, except for the occasional spirited 3rd or 4th gear pull in straight lines. Any tips or advice? I'm just wondering what spring set up should I run on my vert and are coupe springs out of the question?

Addon: I'm not too worried about the driveability on the street, but I am not sure if coupe springs would be beneficial to my car? By coupe springs I mean aftermarket or even coupe springs being used on my comvertible. Mixing and matching springs an idea? I have read about it, not sure on it's effectiveness or even well being of that kind of set up on a street driven car. It may be worth noting, this car is driven only on the weekends, a few hundred miles a month if that.

Sent from my SM-G935T using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
You don't like the stock springs? My vert suspension is bone stock (even with those flimsy stock subframe connectors), yet I am able to cut 1.6 short times on drag radials.

The ride is more compliant than my coupe.

Steve23

Established Member
Honestly, it rides very smoothly. I just figured the stock springs wouldn't perform well at the track. But hearing your input makes me rethinking even swapping them, since you are cutting good times at the track with stock springs. What are you running for shocks and struts?

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
if you cut to good of times at the track, than your gonna need more than springs, Ie roll bar etc, and that pretty much sucks

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Honestly, it rides very smoothly. I just figured the stock springs wouldn't perform well at the track. But hearing your input makes me rethinking even swapping them, since you are cutting good times at the track with stock springs. What are you running for shocks and struts?

All the springs and shocks are stock. The IRS has the FTBR delrin bushings in it, but other than that all the suspension is the way it came from the factory (I bought it new).

At the track I run 275/40/17 Hoosier Drag Radials on the stock wheels.

Steve23

Established Member
if you cut to good of times at the track, than your gonna need more than springs, Ie roll bar etc, and that pretty much sucks
I'm installing single adjustable yellow Koni's on all 4 corners, new dif cover and complete FTBR Delrin setup currently. Was just wondering if springs are needed or not. As far as a cage or roll bar, I am fine with that when it comes time to installing 1. I just was curious about spring ideas and what I should get, if any or stay stock springs.

Users who are viewing this thread