Convertible owners - How is your top holding up after all these years?

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member
My top material is in great condition showing no wear and the mechanicals are also going strong. What is your experience?

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
23k miles, everything works as it should. My car never sees rain, but I'm always putting the top up and down. I have noticed when putting the top up the passenger side has a slight headstart, maybe 6 inches, then the driver side catches up. It's made me wonder if I'll eventually have trouble with that side first. Oh and I really need to replace the large rubber mold across the top of the windshield. It' s not torn but just showing it's age. i can put some product on it and it will look good for a little while, but then dries out again.

MattG04

Established Member
After 157k miles I'm surprised it still looks decent.

im at 157K on my vert and also same color lol.....my top is perfect with little to no wear and goes up and down great knock on wood

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Man you guys don't garage queen these things and just look at em sitting there huh? You drive em and I like it :bowdown:

TK Doom

Established Member
44k and is in really good shape, a bit of wear at a 2 fold points, not much.

I put mine up and down all the time and pretty much never leave it down in direct sun.

Car has never seen rain or a wet top.

dpj99cobra

NC Mustanger
Established Member
My top material is in good shape but I did just finish replacing the cylinders and hydraulic lines. The passenger side cylinder was leaking. I've only owned mine since June so I don't have much history. I'm pretty sure the original Florida owner exercised the top a lot just from little clues I've found. Currently at 23K miles and it stays garaged. It does get driven and I try to avoid rainy conditions but won't let that keep me from enjoying it.

RI-SVT

TVS Powered
Established Member
car 25k miles, works fine, as far as the condition looks great inside and out, car doesn't see any rain.

Quick Strike

Established Member
Mine has 45K on it. It doesn't get out much anymore, but the top still looks great the last time it was up. The top mostly stays down in the garage waiting for the next warm sunny day to go out.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Mine has 45K on it. It doesn't get out much anymore, but the top still looks great the last time it was up. The top mostly stays down in the garage waiting for the next warm sunny day to go out.

That bring up another point - storing the car with the top down? I typically don't do for any length of time thinking it's probably better for the top, but also to prevent the inside from getting dusty.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Tops will shrink, and you may play bell getting it up.
I would personally store with the top up and locked into place.

Quick Strike

Established Member
I've had it since 03 and some winters the top is up and others down. I kind of like it relaxed and down. I never have any trouble putting it up. I think it is a moot point unless you want to put the cover on.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
117k and has always been garaged, but driven in all weather - still looks really good. i keep it cleaned and conditioned with raggtopp regularly. mechanism still works well.

txrunner

Established Member
43000 miles, top looks great. Had to replace the cylinders as the passenger side was leaking. Otherwise fine. I don't drive it in the rain but always put the top up for storage or when parking it in the Texas sun

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
70K miles here. There is a small spot where the seam has come undone (not a rip) at one of the seams toward the back, but no leaks. Still looks good. That spot has been there and not grown for years. I keep thinking a little thread & needle will correct the issue.

My car is normally under a cover when parked. But it sees all kinds of weather and has been through it's fair share of car washes too. Aside from that little spot - it still looks great.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
18k miles, mine is still in excellent condition. I have zero issues with the condition or the convertible motors.

I would NOT store the car with the top down.....the poor top is going to be permanently wrinkled

Users who are viewing this thread