Contour all wheel drive

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
DemonSVT said:
A bare bones turbo 3L at 9-10psi traps 110-112. Nothing to sneeze at. That's a bone stock 3L engine and no traction. Not even one built to run boost. (i.e. forged pistons, etc) If you built a 3L it would make more then enough power to run with the top dogs. Easily!

AWD would be the only thing to get this platform to put the power down. As is it suffers from the typical "Drives the wrong wheels" syndome. :( Then again it is a 4-door family touring car.
I'm disappointed in you Greg-O....who cares what it 'traps'...its the time it runs period. I never thought I'd read a post like this from you :poke:

SpookSVT

Established Member
contour2gq said:
Yeah well if i had all wheel drive and a turbo or supercharger I would probably still pay less and leave ur cobra in the dust

My dream cobra> http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/678557/7 vs. your AWD 3L turbo contour w/ say a GT35R pushing say 22psi on 93 octane pump fuel, ~525AWHP. Of course take into account that it is still not known how well all the other driveline components (ie. transfer case, rear diff) can hold up. Of course throw in some beefy axles so you can full advantage of AWD on the launch. I figure you've now spent ~12-15K on having a shop install the system, ~5-6K on beefing up the driveline, and 15K on building the motor and turbo setup. You've now spent ~30K+ on making this car work and run properly. I on the other hand have spent 25K making my car an insane beast. "Leave your cobra in the dust," right. :p A pullied, intake cobra would walk you hard. Get back into reality.

Last edited:

JCSVT

V6 Powa!!
Established Member
RTStabler51 said:
I'm disappointed in you Greg-O....who cares what it 'traps'...its the time it runs period. I never thought I'd read a post like this from you :poke:

Yea man. Mods for the Mustangs are cheap, cheap, cheap! So his total price was probably more like $36K. Kinda wish the Contour aftermarket was like that.

Last edited:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
JCSVT said:
Yea man. Mods for the Mustangs are cheap, cheap, cheap! So his total price was probably more like $36K. Kinda wish the Contour aftermarket was like that.

More like A plan ($32K) and 0% interest, so I have about $33,600 in the Cobra. Once I install the new blower and Mafia the total will be $34,800 and it has 10K miles currently and still under warranty. It also walks vettes all day long. :rockon:

contour2gq

SVT Bad ass
Established Member
Well lets see he's a new bone stock vette that you say doesnt pull mid tolow 12's http://motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0409_corvette/index4.html
And here is ur booboo mustang cobra that you say runs low 12's out the box and 11's with the lil b/s you got done lol
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=39&article_id=3206
Hmm says there ur running out the box 13.2 and the vette in motor trend is running 12.6. Well there the facts right there in front of you. Ur shiits not as fast as you think. I've seen civces with less than 8k in the motor and walk away from vipers like it iant nothing. So dont under estimate the contour cause its front wheel drive and a 4 door. Think about it ur car weighs 800 or so pounds more than a contour. Ever herd of power to weight?

JCSVT

V6 Powa!!
Established Member
contour2gq said:
Well lets see he's a new bone stock vette that you say doesnt pull mid tolow 12's http://motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0409_corvette/index4.html
And here is ur booboo mustang cobra that you say runs low 12's out the box and 11's with the lil b/s you got done lol
Hmm says there ur running out the box 13.2 and the vette in motor trend is running 12.6. Well there the facts right there in front of you. Ur shiits not as fast as you think. I've seen civces with less than 8k in the motor and walk away from vipers like it iant nothing. So dont under estimate the contour cause its front wheel drive and a 4 door. Think about it ur car weighs 800 or so pounds more than a contour. Ever herd of power to weight?

First, I said 12's for $35K. Second, Car&Driver got a 12.9 out of a Cobra and others have gotten lower than that. He ran a 12.62 bone stock. Thrid, his car is modded. Fourth, we know the limitations of the Contour. It's not a Civic with an unlimited aftermarket to cover up all of its low points and weaknesses.

Last edited:

contour2gq

SVT Bad ass
Established Member
Nooo shit it moded. Why you think I said something about the 11's dummy? Hmm its funny the link I just put up for caranddriver says 13.2. but I mean shit its right there in ur fae but im still wrong huh? Damn cant win with yall.Oh and for those that think a civic cant beat a viper heres a clip
http://importsgonewild.tripod.com/HTMLobj-241/Honda_civic_smoking_a_Doge_viper.mpeg
Oh damn and heres one of a neon doing the same thing but even worse than the civc.
http://students.uwsp.edu/jzimm943/vipervsneon.htm
Ive seen people with contours making over 400hp to the wheels. But nope that couldnt beat a cobra neither. But wait let me guess the reason a civic and a plain looking neon smoke a new viper is cause a lil garden snake is WAAAAAYYY better than a viper huh? So whos dreaming or need to come back to reality? yep a civic and a neon beat a viper but a contour blowing a cobra way for less than whta he paid fo that POS is just obsurd right? Get real!

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
contour2gq said:

Reading comprehension is not one of your strong suits. My car went 12.6 stock which is not low 12's. I've yet to ever personally witness a stock C5 or C6 run low 12's. I've seen Z06's run those times.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
contour2gq said:
Nooo shit it moded. Why you think I said something about the 11's dummy? Hmm its funny the link I just put up for caranddriver says 13.2. but I mean shit its right there in ur fae but im still wrong huh? Damn cant win with yall.Oh and for those that think a civic cant beat a viper heres a clip
http://importsgonewild.tripod.com/HTMLobj-241/Honda_civic_smoking_a_Doge_viper.mpeg
Oh damn and heres one of a neon doing the same thing but even worse than the civc.
http://students.uwsp.edu/jzimm943/vipervsneon.htm
Ive seen people with contours making over 400hp to the wheels. But nope that couldnt beat a cobra neither. But wait let me guess the reason a civic and a plain looking neon smoke a new viper is cause a lil garden snake is WAAAAAYYY better than a viper huh? So whos dreaming or need to come back to reality? yep a civic and a neon beat a viper but a contour blowing a cobra way for less than whta he paid fo that POS is just obsurd right? Get real!

Noone said a Cobra is unbeatable. It just doesn't take a lot of extra money to make them ridiculously fast. The cobra is still running through the factory H pipe. H pipe = 20-30 rwhp.

I could've bought a lot of different cars to drive daily, like another GTP, but I chose to purchase a SVT Contour. I had new back in 98 and I like the look, handling, and exclusivity. This is my 6th SVT vehicle, including the Cobra and 94L that I currently own. So please get over yourself. Noone is against you, we're just trying to get you to realize what it would take to get a Contour to run with a lightly modded Cobra.

BlueStripe

Bad Ass with Class
Established Member
Anyone ever stop and think about what kind of AWD system the Jaguar uses? Odds are it's FWD biased, and just strong enough to take the power it has to in a stock X-type. That basicly translates to poor handling, added weight, and little or no use in a high-power application.

But it's cool, 'cuz it's AWD, right?

The BigSHO

Established Member
Spending that kind of money on a CSVT is crazy. I've owned three CSVTs.
Two were stock except K&N. The other one my son spent about $3K in mods.
Pretty much a waste of money. He wishes he had the $3K now or spent it on his 87 GN instead. :cryying:

contour2gq

SVT Bad ass
Established Member
Umm yeah you say what it would get to make a contour run with a modded cobra. What my point is if you pay 4g's for a SVTC and put the money you saved from buying 40G cobra and put all that into the contour you have to spend alot of Fing money to make the cobra faster. Which thats more money you would have saved with the contour and more money you could have put into it. I mean come on its obviouse just like with the viper vids it unless ur den. it that it wouldnt take 35g's to stomp the shit out of a heavy modded cobra. REgardless if it was allwheel drive or not. And yes the xtype its a transversely mounted motor. Thats why it shares similarities with the contour. Hens my post. I think yall just hate'n on the fact it would take alot less to make the contour faster than a modded SVT. I mean look at the vides. Do you think they spent 35g's to make the neon fast then the viper? hell no! I seen a acura integra with just a turbo kit nothing else run high 11's. The turbo kit only cost 3G's and the integra about 4. damn thats running with that 40k cobra. Who you think got the better deal and better gas mileage? lol

SpookSVT

Established Member
That integra running 11's was also gutted and stripped to about 2200lbs. Not hard to run those times w/ such a light car. Dude I see all your excitment in this car but take it for what it is.

DemonSVT

The Mad Modder!
Established Member
RTStabler51 said:
Your thinking must be skewed because your logic is as flawed as hell.

The original statement was something along the lines of a Contour could never run with a Cobra or something equally as ignorant and stupid.

NEVER is a word that usually NEVER should be used and NEVER like that.

Drag racing & dyno queen hand jobs are worthless compared to real life driving. Turning, braking, power under the curve, et cetera. Single purpose cars had damn well better be good at what they are intended for!

I used the trap speed of a turbo 3L to show that a plain jane Contour can make the power to "hang" with cars outside of it's class. Just so no one missed that again - "outside it's class."
That was about it. A ~112mph (trap) car (~350WHP at 3200lbs) with a CD about 5 times better then the Fairmont brick will hang quite well with high performance vehicles. Hell it's just a FWD 4-door family touring car watered down for the typical US sheep's consumption.

The only thing stopping "ET" is traction. That is never going to get much better even with stupid amounts of money wasted on making the Contour a "Drag" car. (i.e. assinine idea) It is not a drag car.

So the whole term "hanging with" in my book looks at the car as a whole and not just one limited view of it. If you wanted to cry drag queen then why not the 2 door Fairmont. You can build a fast Fox for peanuts. If you want to cry dyno queen then why not the Supra or similiar car. 400, 500, 600, 700 HP and the ET is still the same.

I destroy cars all the time that I most likely could not or definitely would not take from a dead stop. The difference is total package. I can't fix driving the wrong wheels though.

Unfortunately most people are just too short sighted to see the difference.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
newbie contour guy, loose the attitude or your gone.

Greg. We both know where you are coming from, it just reminded me of an average CEGers type post :p

Users who are viewing this thread