Contour all wheel drive

contour2gq

SVT Bad ass
Established Member
Has anyone ever thought about making there contour all wheel drive? I might be wrong but I had the contour and the jaguar Xtype are built on the same platform. And the jaguar xtype is AWD. I've parked beside one not really had it up in the air and compaired but it looks like everything off there would bolt up to teh contour. So I was thinking about after doing some more research finding one in the junkyard or something and taking all AWD set up of it and converting it to the contour. THat would be kick ass! :bowdown: ........ if it would work that is lol. Just wondering if anyone else have thought of the same ideal or has any info

SpookSVT

Established Member
Terry Haines says it is doable but extensive modifications to the subframes and both F/R suspensions is required. This is no "bolt-up" job for sure.

contour2gq

SVT Bad ass
Established Member
Well yeah I figured you would have to take the f/r suspention if you're going to do it. But yeah I would like to have them side by side to compair them and see what needs to be done

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Thought about? Yes.
Anyone have the money to do it (remember Contour)? No.

contour2gq

SVT Bad ass
Established Member
Well just cause someone drives a contour SVT doesnt mean they dont have money. maybe they like the car. Why pay 50k for a bmw or jag when I paid 4,500 for my SVT and all the money I would have said wouldnt even take half of it to make if faster or just as good as one

SpookSVT

Established Member
If I loved this car enough I would, but I rather put my money into a cobra than do it.

contour2gq

SVT Bad ass
Established Member
Yeah well if i had all wheel drive and a turbo or supercharger I would probably still pay less and leave ur cobra in the dust

JCSVT

V6 Powa!!
Established Member
contour2gq said:
Yeah well if i had all wheel drive and a turbo or supercharger I would probably still pay less and leave ur cobra in the dust

I could say the same about a 5.0 Foxbody to the Contour.

Until it's done, no one knows what turbo AWD Contour would cost but I'd bet it would be a lot of money.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
JCSVT said:
I could say the same about a 5.0 Foxbody to the Contour.

Until it's done, no one knows what turbo AWD Contour would cost but I'd bet it would be a lot of money.

20-40 grand I imagine for a top notch job. Alot of custom fab work, + parts + trial and costly errors.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
contour2gq said:
Well just cause someone drives a contour SVT doesnt mean they dont have money. maybe they like the car. Why pay 50k for a bmw or jag when I paid 4,500 for my SVT and all the money I would have said wouldnt even take half of it to make if faster or just as good as one
Keep thinking that. People who 'have money' typically don't screw around with Contours. They go to the Snakes, Porsches, etc....

inteller

Established Member
Yeah, I can do a turbo'd AWD Contour.....for about 30k.

I'll even throw in an in dash navigation system.

Its called a Mazdaspeed6.

contour2gq

SVT Bad ass
Established Member
Just to say you have one. Not to mention I think the SVT looks great. Just like jleno hes got a ford aspir or w/e with a SHO motor in it. Why the hell did he do that? Just to do it. But I would do it just cause I like the way the contour looks and the interior and also just to say I got all wheel drive hehe. Yeah good luck with a foxbody AWD. You aint got nothing to start with. The contour does

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
contour2gq said:

Now that was funny. Do you realize how much power you'd need to run with a Cobra. Mine with a 2.8 upper, Predator tune, and airfilter runs high 11's, 12.0000's @ 117-118. I'm about to put a ported blower on it this weekend with a 2.76" upper. I like my Contour and use it daily, 90 mile round trip, but a Cobra beater......Get real.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Yeah Ok....

And Jay Leno has a SHOgun...9 or so were made by a company....they cost amost 50-60k when new because the purchase was for a brand new SHO and a brand new Festiva...etc.

Obviously you are in your dream world so I'll exit this dream and let you enjoy it...
contour2gq said:
Just to say you have one. Not to mention I think the SVT looks great. Just like jleno hes got a ford aspir or w/e with a SHO motor in it. Why the hell did he do that? Just to do it. But I would do it just cause I like the way the contour looks and the interior and also just to say I got all wheel drive hehe. Yeah good luck with a foxbody AWD. You aint got nothing to start with. The contour does

contour2gq

SVT Bad ass
Established Member
Lol OMg ur so funny hell yeah a cobra beat. All that money you paid for that shitbox and then the money you put it. Yeah im pretty sure me paying 4,500 for my contour and hten adding like another 40,000 or so into it that you spent buying the cobra and adding all that stuff to it will beat the brakes off ur lil garden snake lol YOU need to get real. Alll that money you should have got a Vette ita running low 12 out the box and looks better haha

JCSVT

V6 Powa!!
Established Member
contour2gq said:
Lol OMg ur so funny hell yeah a cobra beat. All that money you paid for that shitbox and then the money you put it. Yeah im pretty sure me paying 4,500 for my contour and hten adding like another 40,000 or so into it that you spent buying the cobra and adding all that stuff to it will beat the brakes off ur lil garden snake lol YOU need to get real. Alll that money you should have got a Vette ita running low 12 out the box and looks better haha
:poke:

A 'Vette isn't going to run low 12's out of the box for 35 grand. You need to get real. The AWD Contour doesn't exist so why do you think it will beat his Cobra. You just keep putting out hypothetical ideas that will probably never happen. When you put $40,000 into a Contour there is something wrong. YOU could have gone out and bought a used E46 M3 for that price or maybe an Audi S4 or a Charger SRT-8...the list goes on.

DemonSVT

The Mad Modder!
Established Member
black99lightnin said:
I'm about to put a ported blower on it this weekend with a 2.76" upper. I like my Contour and use it daily, 90 mile round trip, but a Cobra beater......Get real.
Also probably be about 40-45k in that 2 door Fairmont I bet. I also bet quite a few folks on this site were not even born when that car was new. :poke:

A bare bones turbo 3L at 9-10psi traps 110-112. Nothing to sneeze at. That's a bone stock 3L engine and no traction. Not even one built to run boost. (i.e. forged pistons, etc) If you built a 3L it would make more then enough power to run with the top dogs. Easily!

AWD would be the only thing to get this platform to put the power down. As is it suffers from the typical "Drives the wrong wheels" syndome. :( Then again it is a 4-door family touring car.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Well so far my "Fairmont" has a grand total of $50 used airfilter, $350 Predator, and $85 pulley. The blower I got used for $650 and should put the car in the mid 11's at 120-122 range. The Cobra went 12.62 @ 111 stock, so its more than capable of beating stock C5 and C6's. But its a shitbox, but atleast I got one, and an SVT Contour, and a Lightning. :poke:

I'm not knocking a Contour I own one. I'm just trying to put a real perspective on this subject. Just like if you chop the rear of the contour off and install a truck style bed it will not be a better truck than a Lightning.

Users who are viewing this thread