Construction question for tub surround material

verbal

Established Member
I discovered that my roof was leaking last week and ended up opening up the wall to see if there was any mold damage. I opened the wall up that looks at the back of the wall to the bathroom tub surround and everything was black. I starting to panic thinking that the entire wall was covered in mold but then realized that the entire board that is over the tub is black. As soon as you get to the next sheet of drywall that is not over the tub it transitions to regular drywall.

Has anyone ever heard of a construction material like this? I have used cement board, Hardy Backer, green board and purple board for bathrooms but have never seen anything like this. Every internet search I do with the word "black" comes up as black mold. All wood and drywall around this sheet is fine so I cannot believe that it is just happening to this one piece. The sheet is from edge to edge the same coloring. It does have a weird appearance though as a blotchy grayish black.

jconnor3

Established Member
Can you find something that is long and skinny and try scraping the back of this black board? That may help you determine if it's mold or some type of board. If it's mold, it will be pretty easy to tell once you scratch at it I would think.

verbal

Established Member
Rubbing my finger on it nothing really comes off. I cut into it with a razor knife and it is drywall inside.

I do not think it is Celotex or Homasote as it looks like a green board material (not fibrous) and is painted on the bathroom side of the wall.

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
I've seen something almost like a rubber membrane that is glued to the sheetrock used before...?

A picture would help.

verbal

Established Member
Here are pictures. Everything else around it is fine. The second picture shows where the next piece of drywall starts.

photo1-7.jpg

photo2-8.jpg

Last edited:

jconnor3

Established Member
If nothing rubs off of it and it starts and ends abruptly at the seams, it can't be mold I wouldn't think. I'm not expert, but I would think your are safe. Just looks like some type of black colored backed board.

jf4boogie

Established Member
I honestly don't remember, but National Gypsum may have had a sheathing with gray backing? I don't remember seeing USG make any product like that, but I wasn't in the business back in 2001 so without doing research I can't tell you with 100% certainty...

Users who are viewing this thread