Considering wrapping my 10th Silver Metallic car.

Goocher0310th

Established Member
As the title says I’m contemplating this. The one thing that I’d be worried about is the OEM paint underneath if I do wrap the car. The paint is in 9/10 condition now.

I tried a search and hadn’t seen any threads about this for a couple years.

Anyone had their car wrapped? Is the paint good when wrap is done? I never wanted a silver car. Don’t get me wrong it’s grown on me and I love it. But think it would be fun to change it up for a few years.

Chris

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Chris, contact @NastyGT500 (Scott) or @Merlinii (Merlin) with that question. As detailing professionals, I'm sure either one will have a definitive answer for you.

I have been told by installers that the wrap doesn't affect the paint at all, but I also know for a fact that it is possible to have left over residue remain when the wrap is removed. If that happens, you'd have to remove it. That may or may not influence your decision. A lot of folks have done it, so I have a feeling others will tell you that your paint should be fine. Again, contact Scott or Merlin.

What color were you thinking about doing the wrap in?

Goocher0310th

Established Member
Hey @CobraBob thank you for the reply. I will definitely contact one of them to get their opinion on paint after removal.

I’m thinking of doing a bright blue metallic gloss. I had an old 98 GT with BAB paint and loved it. I think this resembles that.
I definitely want the metal flake in it which is why I want metallic.

LS WUT

Established Member
Hey bud, I’ve had some cars wrapped. It’s all about the prep work that goes into it. If they do a good job prepping it will not harm the paint at all. It’s just an overlay really. It protects the paint very well, and helps with some minor rock chips since it’s a little thicker. I’ll be wrapping my black coupe Sonic Blue Or a deep impact blue within the next few months. Do your homework, and research on the place doing the wrap. Goodluck in your search! Let me know if I can help in anyway.

Goocher0310th

Established Member
Thank you. Appreciate it. Here are the 2 colors I’m deciding on.

Attachments

• EE948834-83BE-4618-8E97-AF3211DA9F24.jpeg
    EE948834-83BE-4618-8E97-AF3211DA9F24.jpeg
    445.5 KB · Views: 117
  • B490C293-82FC-4E26-84EA-AC2F70F478A2.jpeg
    B490C293-82FC-4E26-84EA-AC2F70F478A2.jpeg
    399 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
They're both nice. I'm kind of torn between the two; maybe slightly biased to the first one.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That first one reminds me of Bright Atlantic Blue, which is an awesome color. I think that's making me lean more and more to that one. Again, both are nice. Boils down to whether you want a brighter or more subdued blue.

A '98 Cobra.
1998_00009_01.jpg

Goocher0310th

Established Member
Bob that car is a stunner. I had a 98 GT in that was in that color. I loved it although the paint had seen it’s better days. When I returned the color swatch today to the shop I’m using the owners truck was wrapped in the bright blue metallic. It’s a good match for BAB.

My wife and good friend think the darker will look better.

Goocher0310th

Established Member
@LS WUT when you wrap your Car are you doing everything? Door jambs, under hood. Shock towers? Trunk areas not seen without opening trunk?

These areas have me thinking for the money clear ppf maybe the more wise decision. I was decided, and now I’m undecided on a color change. I wouldn’t want to not have areas wrapped.

Goocher0310th

Established Member
With the red seats? Or are you swapping those too.

I will be keeping the interior that came with the 10th package. I think the red with blue exterior would look good together.
Maybe I’m nuts?

LS WUT

Established Member
@Goocher0310th So when I’d be wrapping the car I wouldn’t be doing jams, engine bay, etc. I’d be going with a blue/black theme on the car. Either I’ll leave the car black, and do Sonic Blue accents such as calipers, emblems, and COBRA lettering in the bumper. Even if I wrapped the car blue, I’d do opposite such as Sonic color, black emblems. So wrapping those areas wouldn’t bother me to much. However if I was going blue, and my color was silver as is. I’d either make the jump to wrap all of those areas. Door jams aren’t to bad. It’s engine bay that will be a pain in the butt.

Goocher0310th

Established Member
@Goocher0310th So when I’d be wrapping the car I wouldn’t be doing jams, engine bay, etc. I’d be going with a blue/black theme on the car. Either I’ll leave the car black, and do Sonic Blue accents such as calipers, emblems, and COBRA lettering in the bumper. Even if I wrapped the car blue, I’d do opposite such as Sonic color, black emblems. So wrapping those areas wouldn’t bother me to much. However if I was going blue, and my color was silver as is. I’d either make the jump to wrap all of those areas. Door jams aren’t to bad. It’s engine bay that will be a pain in the butt.
Right. That would look real nice what you’re describing. I think I’ve decided I’m just going to do a clear ppf. I need to protect the paint, but if I did a color change I would want everything the exterior color, which will be a big pita and a lot more $

LS WUT

Established Member
Right. That would look real nice what you’re describing. I think I’ve decided I’m just going to do a clear ppf. I need to protect the paint, but if I did a color change I would want everything the exterior color, which will be a big pita and a lot more $
Thank you sir, I’ll be sure to keep you posted on how it goes, etc in the event you do decide to do so in the future. Protecting the paint is a good thing for sure. Unless the car is garage kept it’s brutal. I live in Florida so the sun doesn’t play games.

Goocher0310th

Established Member
Thank you sir, I’ll be sure to keep you posted on how it goes, etc in the event you do decide to do so in the future. Protecting the paint is a good thing for sure. Unless the car is garage kept it’s brutal. I live in Florida so the sun doesn’t play games.
I’m in Fl too. Where you at? Luckily mine is in a garage all day everyday. I’m most worried about rock chips with the car. I only do cruises with it, and only park it at car shows. I don’t trust people enough to leave it in a lot running errands.

LS WUT

Established Member
I’m in Fl too. Where you at? Luckily mine is in a garage all day everyday. I’m most worried about rock chips with the car. I only do cruises with it, and only park it at car shows. I don’t trust people enough to leave it in a lot running errands.
Ohh, I didn’t see that! Sarasota for me. I don’t blame you there. I’ve got my garage kept 03 coupe with 19k miles, and I’ve got my other 03 coupe black I daily driver lol.

wckdvnm

Established Member
Hey bud, I’ve had some cars wrapped. It’s all about the prep work that goes into it. If they do a good job prepping it will not harm the paint at all. It’s just an overlay really. It protects the paint very well, and helps with some minor rock chips since it’s a little thicker. I’ll be wrapping my black coupe Sonic Blue Or a deep impact blue within the next few months. Do your homework, and research on the place doing the wrap. Goodluck in your search! Let me know if I can help in anyway.

Interestingly enough the paint on our cars usually lifts with the vinyl. I’ve seen it a handful of cobra’s already. This happens to most new edge cars I’ve seen wrapped. It is usually the roof or hood that peels paint off.

Users who are viewing this thread