Considering filing a first party auto insurance claim...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
But just FYI, my insurance for my family just went up $400 a year, and we have no accidents and no tickets...

The insurance companies are full of crap lately IMO.

Wow, now that sucks! I have USAA and my rates keep going down. Which is why I love USAA.

OP, definitely get a couple of repair quotes and then make the decision. I have a feeling, though, that the total is going to be high enough where you'll have to file a claim. And then you'll have to how much your insurance increases. :(

Pilot511

Established Member
I worked in Claims for about 1.5 years before I started estimating. Depending on your policy, time with current company, severity of damage your rates may not be touched. You can call policy services to ask about your rates, but I know some companies will push through a claim anyways because they figure that if you are asking them something probably happened.
IF there was no major damage done to the curb, you really don't need to call LE for a single veh accident. Thats your discretion.
Get an estimate at a body shop or Ford, see what its at and make your call from there.
*****Sorry I just read the damage OP posted, if strut tower is cracked/buckled and wheel / rim were the direct hit, frame would definitely need to be pulled and this is based off seeing no pictures. Just a guess would be 5 +/- hours in pull time alone, depending on shop and state guidelines. Again, don't get on me too much because I don't have any pix to go off of.***
Insurance claim may be your best bet, you would probably be put at fault since a single veh accident though, but like I said earlier it may not touch your rates too badly depending on a lot of factors.

Last edited:

Dobedare

Established Member
In some instances - at least in VA - unless you need assistance with a tow or injuries, LE won't come out. Especially if it is in a parking lot. They just want you to exchange information - if necessary - and let the insurance compan(ies) fight it out. Typically unless you have accident forgiveness - you are usually looking at a 40% increase in premiums. And the accident stays on for approximately 5 years.

Everyone should be shopping rates for insurance approximately every 2 to 3 years. Being with one insurance company for years (other than probably USAA) does not win you any loyalty rewards - companies will keep increasing your rates.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Rule #1 - Call the police and document any accident your involved in.

Not good advice.

Why would he call the police and get them involved when it's clearly not necessary? So they can write him a ticket and then he'll need to deal with that BS as well? Nope.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Jesus, there needs to be a sticky with instructions on what to do when your involved in an accident.

Dam curb curb that got smacked has more brains then some folks in here.

Rule #1 - Call the police and document any accident your involved in.

You forgot the sarcasm font....

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
In some instances - at least in VA - unless you need assistance with a tow or injuries, LE won't come out. Especially if it is in a parking lot. They just want you to exchange information - if necessary - and let the insurance compan(ies) fight it out. Typically unless you have accident forgiveness - you are usually looking at a 40% increase in premiums. And the accident stays on for approximately 5 years.

Everyone should be shopping rates for insurance approximately every 2 to 3 years. Being with one insurance company for years (other than probably USAA) does not win you any loyalty rewards - companies will keep increasing your rates.

This.

We just dealt with this two months ago, LEO will not go to the scene unless there is necessity to do so (unknown who is at fault, injuries, traffic control, etc). Progressive did not even ask if we had an accident report.

However the interesting part is about an hour and a half after getting told by Dispatch that they wouldnt send a LEO, right before the tow truck was about to leave, LEO pulled up just to check on things to make sure everyone did their due diligence. So I guess if they dont have anything pending they do swing by and check up.

94_Vert

Established Member
What is your premium now? My wife hit a cement post at a gas station, and did around $3000 damage. Our insurance went up around $30-40 per month.

YJSONLY

Established Member
Oddly enough, I knew someone that totaled their car hydroplaning in the rain into a guard rail. Despite the fact that he was the sole party involved he ended up getting a ticket for 'excessive speed in road conditions' or something to that effect.

Granted, it was still obviously the right call due to the fact the car was totaled but it's still a bit awkward to call LE on yourself and walk away with a ticket.

This happened to my aunt who was driving to work on a interstate. She was going 40 if I recall correctly and hit water puddle caring a spin and flip in a Tahoe. She was given a ticket and ended up taking it to court and winning.

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
sorry to hear about the loss. I am an adjuster and have been for the last 15 years. I have seen at least a thousand of these type of accidents. I will guess that you will need all the left front suspension and the subframe. If the strut tower is cracked, the shop will have to replace the entire apron assembly unless ford recommends sectioning just the strut tower, which i doubt they will. given that it is a curb hit at 40-50 mph, I would not be surprised if the frame rails are pulled over and drove back somewhat. Please post a few decent photos and I will further advise my thoughts. Without seeing any damage, I assume you have damage to the bottom part of your bumper, all the left front suspension will probably be wiped out including the subframe. lower radiator support probably has damage, and then the structure issues. Probably 5 grand in damage. That $1,000 deductible is better than 5k. Chances are your rates over 3 years won't justify paying out of pocket, but that is your decision to make. Rates will go up for any at fault loss charged no question. How much they will go up will be the million dollar question that no one will be able to answer until you file the claim and wait for your policy to renew. One at fault on your record is not that big of a deal if you are not 18 with other driving violations.

post those photos op. Hell Ill even write you an estimate for free and email it to you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread