Cons of 20" rims up front

SVT_28

Established Member
Looking at new rims and have the option of 19 or 20 for the front and 20 in the rear. 20s all around will be a few hundred dollars cheaper but I know it will throw off the speedometer and some other systems. Are there any major concerns or mods I would need to do to the car for 20s up front and should I just stick with 19s? What adjustments would I need to make sure the installer did to make the cars systems run accordingly with 20s up front?

carguy19

Established Member
Potholes..... thats one major disadvantage w 20's.

Lots of people running 20's though. Most of our 13/14 GT500s are not daily driven cars.

got_h8rs?

Established Member
Looking at new rims and have the option of 19 or 20 for the front and 20 in the rear. 20s all around will be a few hundred dollars cheaper but I know it will throw off the speedometer and some other systems. Are there any major concerns or mods I would need to do to the car for 20s up front and should I just stick with 19s? What adjustments would I need to make sure the installer did to make the cars systems run accordingly with 20s up front?

Cons: None

Pros: Looks much better!

:thumbsup: lol

Troponin

Established Member
19s can sometimes be more difficult to find tires for, which is why they are more expensive. Yes, I would def consider potholes as well. They are much more common in the north than the south, so I no longer really worry about potholes anymore.

If going for form over function, absolutely 20s, hands down. If you want better acceleration, you usually want to go with 18s or smaller on the rear and 18s up front with something a little skinnier.

I have 20s, if you want a reference for looks. 305s on rear and 275s on front

Last edited:

SVT_28

Established Member
So no systems will be thrown off by larger rims due to rwd? I want to keep a rake on the car and not sure if 20s all around will make the car look too level, which is another once of my concerns...My car doesn't get raced so I am not worried about performance numbers.
I know 19s are harder to find tires for and more expensive which sucks.

Troponin

Established Member
So no systems will be thrown off by larger rims due to rwd? I want to keep a rake on the car and not sure if 20s all around will make the car look too level, which is another once of my concerns...My car doesn't get raced so I am not worried about performance numbers.
I know 19s are harder to find tires for and more expensive which sucks.

If you want to maintain a good ride, keep total tire height the same all around. I don't recommend changing rake unless you really like the look of a lot of rake, or, your car is set up for a lot of rake (rear wing and front lip spoiler designed for rake).

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I don't think I noticed a difference going from the 19's to 20's in the front. I've got 23k miles on my 14, 10k are with 20's and I have no complaints. It's good to have the choice, even if you don't move to the larger wheel.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
I run 20's all around on my past 2 daily driven Shelby's. In my eyes there are no cons to running 20's other than people constantly telling me how sweet my car looks.

SVT_28

Established Member
If you want to maintain a good ride, keep total tire height the same all around. I don't recommend changing rake unless you really like the look of a lot of rake, or, your car is set up for a lot of rake (rear wing and front lip spoiler designed for rake).

What do you mean by total tire height the same? If I had 20s on the front I assume 275-35-20 (9 inch rim). And I wouldn't change rake, just assumed the front would be a little heigher due to larger rims...therefore leveling the car more?

SVT_28

Established Member
So basically what I have gotten so far, is the my car will not need any adjustments, system wise or suspension wise, for 20s in the front. Just watch out for potholes!

Troponin

Established Member
What do you mean by total tire height the same? If I had 20s on the front I assume 275-35-20 (9 inch rim). And I wouldn't change rake, just assumed the front would be a little heigher due to larger rims...therefore leveling the car more?

What I mean is, you are talking about putting 19s and 20s on your car. If you get the correct size tires, you can maintain the same tire height on front and rear, even if you have different wheel sizes. For instance, a 245/45-19 is about the same height as a 245/40-20. If you put a tire on the rear that is taller, you increase your rake, AKA, raise the rear.

08KR525

Established Member
It's not the rim size that going to affect anything as much as tire height. As long as you don't go crazy on height in the rear tires it won't throw your speedo off. Just research what everyone is running and go from there. Imo these cars just look better with 20"s.

Last edited:

SVT_28

Established Member
So it looks like everyone is saying 20s all around and nothing needs to be adjusted. 275/35/20 and 305/35/20 would be good to keep a proper tire height for 20x9/10.5.

SVT_28

Established Member
You would need some power mods to offset the additional weight.;-)

Haha, slow down...I have to get it looking right and handling the power it has already. looks like 20s all around since no one has confirmed any problems or adjustments needed. Hopefully I will figure out how to post pictures eventually when I get them ordered and put on.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Haha, slow down...I have to get it looking right and handling the power it has already. looks like 20s all around since no one has confirmed any problems or adjustments needed. Hopefully I will figure out how to post pictures eventually when I get them ordered and put on.

What rims are you looking @?

Users who are viewing this thread