"connected cars" automatically reporting to insurance companies

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
22 years old, 288,000 miles. Good luck regulating this.

I'll drive it till the wheels fall off, then put new wheels back on and drive it another 22 years. That's chunk in the seat. My ride or die.

20221125_083455.jpeg

Sent from my SM-S908U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Detroit Iron

Established Member
Premium Member
The electronics in these new cars are insane. I was reading on the Camaro6 forum that guys were having their insurance rates skyrocket because of unknowingly being enrolled in these "good driver" programs where data is transmitted to a third party via Onstar. Insurance companies then pay the third party for the data and notice the highly illegal acceleration events. I don't know if anybody sued yet, but prove it was me driving. When your car is not in your possession (car repair, valet, etc)....these things happen quite a bit.

There is something to be said about these older low tech cars. You can keep them running virtually forever on the cheap and don't have to worry about all the BS that comes with new tech and privacy issues.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
The electronics in these new cars are insane. I was reading on the Camaro6 forum that guys were having their insurance rates skyrocket because of unknowingly being enrolled in these "good driver" programs where data is transmitted to a third party via Onstar. Insurance companies then pay the third party for the data and notice the highly illegal acceleration events. I don't know if anybody sued yet, but prove it was me driving. When your car is not in your possession (car repair, valet, etc)....these things happen quite a bit.

There is something to be said about these older low tech cars. You can keep them running virtually forever on the cheap and don't have to worry about all the BS that comes with new tech and privacy issues.
I've said it before, I'll say it again. Soon you'll be paying for simplicity. They have set the trap, using safety and convenience as the snare.

My newest car is an 08'. No connection to anything, daily is a 98'. The only thing I worry about is the tracking they could do through licence plates with a built in transponder. You know, Just so you pay your "fair share" of road maintenance.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
The only thing I worry about is the tracking they could do through licence plates with a built in transponder. You know, Just so you pay your "fair share" of road maintenance.
Im sure those can be prone to "malfunctions". Around here they keep putting up plate readers to monitor the roadways. Had a rash of home invasions in the million dollar plus home areas a few years back and now theyre everywhere around here.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Ah a man of culture I see. I miss DD mine.

yeah man they're too much fun not to drive.

it's a good thing this car doesn't transmit any data to my insurance company. i'd quickly be getting a letter in the mail saying something like, "dear sir, thank you for your years of patronage, but please find a different company to insure your vehicle."

DSCN2358.JPG

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

BlueSnake01

Established Member
IMO, the only "good" from this is it might actually kick off a bunch of idiot/young drivers. Ton of stupid BMW/Tesla/Prius owners in LA that drive like they own the road

Yes, I know its LA, but still would be nice seeing their insurance go up 100% or get dropped from being covered for driving like a huge douche

Users who are viewing this thread