Confused, what else can I do for power?

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
So I asked this on the Colorado Mustang forum but there's more folks here so I say this:

I moved to CO recently and lost 60rwhp. My mod list is hefty and I want more power back, only options seem to be; upgrade the supercharger to a D1SC or higher which would require custom fabrication and do cams? Talked with the guys here at revolutions performance and they said a D1SC would only net me around 30rwhp maybe and the cams even less. A rebuild on my P1SC would be around $1300 and the cams are WAY more than that for my little slowbra. Am I missing something? (No nitrous suggestions please)

Here are the mods I have (that pertain to this):

Exhaust:
1. Mac CatBack
2. Mac Catted H-Pipe
3. Mac LT headers 1 5/8

Built Engine (Excessive Motorsports):
1. 42lb injectors
2. Ported intake
3. Port & Polish
4. C&P Pistons .20 over (Forged)
5. Eagle Rods
6. ARP Studs
7. ATI Procharger P1SC @ 10lbs
8. 3 core A/A intercooler
9. Anderson Ford Power Pipe
10. ATI Big Red Race Valve
11. Diablo Predator
12. 8 rib pulley setup
13. Reichard Racing 3.1 SC pulley
14. Return Fuel System (Glenn's Performance)

Transmission:
1. Yukon 4.11 Gears
2. MGW Short Throw Shifter (Orange Handle)
3. Centerforce Clutch
4. Maximum Motorsports Quadrant
5. DSS Level 2 Half Shafts
6. 03/04 LSD Clutch Packs

I should be able to handle what I throw at it and I'm really thinking about doing the D1SC since I shouldn't have to swap injectors and its a direct swap unlike the F1. My 8 rib setup shouldn't produce belt slip but I also can't find a SC pulley smaller than 3.1 that's 8 rib. Making 400rwhp in CO just seems really weak but I was pushing my P1SC at 460rwhp in VA which is about all she can muster without creating a ton of heat. Anybody have more technical insight that I may have over looked? Would sure love to know what a D1SC with a 3.1 SC pulley makes so I can just subtract 60rwhp and it should give me a rough idea on the power I would make here in CO. Thanks for any info.

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
There's not a lot you can do; more boost, spin it higher, up your static compression ratio or go turbo.

Last edited:

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I know it's not much, but you can get an electric water pump. That'll "free up" an extra 15 HP and get you better gas mileage. Every bit counts.

What's your tune like? You could always get a little more aggressive with the fuel and timing, and maybe throw some meth at it.

The best advice I can give you is to use boost to compensate for altitude. You've got a built motor, so you don't have to worry about being limited to 10-12 LBS. You mentioned that you can't find a pulley smaller than 3.1. You could always get an overdrive crank pulley.

You were thinking of getting cams, which is a good idea, but really costly. Unless you're gonna have the motor out anyways, I would recommend waiting to do the cam upgrade.

For the price of a cam upgrade, you'd have almost enough to upgrade to an F1-A or something like that. An F1-A will solve all of your boost problems... I'm surprised to hear that a D1 isn't giving you the boost you're looking for.

If you're still not happy, and you've got the budget, I would recommend swapping out the procharger setup for a turbo. Forced induction is great for compensating for altitude, but turbos are the best setup for it. The higher the altitude, the more the wastegate will compensate.

There are a lot of neat articles about the altitude effects on turbo vs. supercharged vs. N/A engines.

Bite Me

Established Member
Maybe 4-5rwhp. That altitude sucks. Took some friends up to breckenridge to go skiing and the little mazda3 was struggling.

I dont see how going to a d1sc is only 30rwhp?

Users who are viewing this thread