Confused on suspension upgrades

Kozak_SVT

Of Their Own Accord
Established Member
So been searching and reading around and saw that the general consensus for a suspension upgrade is the TVS Hotchkis. Seems like perfect drop while providing really good performance turning, handling etc., but i see there's issues over the rear leaf springs and the differing combos people use to dampen the stiffness to varying degrees of doing so.

I'd like to keep the oem shocks on the truck and it has a 2" drop in the rear by shackle (Its a 2004 model year so i know it was higher in the rear than 99-02) and dont know if that matches the earlier stock ride height of the years preceding mine or if its lower.

So the question is that if i get the Hotchkiss front lowering springs, Hellwig front/rear sway bars (cheaper, stiffer, and i think the extra weight shouldn't be that much of a deal) and then keep the stock leaf springs with that lowering shackle, will that perform well and look well?

I'd like the extra performance of what those items offer and willing to sacrifice some ride comfort for it, but i hear that the Hotchkis leaf springs are to stiff and finding the right shocks is an issue. Also since i dont know if a 2" drop makes this the original height for which this was designed for i dont want to install it and now the rear is way too low, or if they are even compatible with those shackles (Dont know the brand).

Im no expert on this so any advice to steer me clear of this potentially bad idea will be much appreciated. I should specify this is my daily driver.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
When i had my Lightning lowered all i could think about was raising it back to stock height. Only upgrade you ever need is some adjustable shocks in the rear and to remove the front sway bar at the dragstrip. The 2" shackles are fine and i would keep them but everything else is a wash. I hated how it rode and it certainly was screwy with the weight transfer. It did look tits though....

BTW mine was 2" front(coils) and 4" rear(shackles & hangers).

Kozak_SVT

Of Their Own Accord
Established Member
I have the full Hotchkis TVS kit with their shocks. It is awesome.

Hows the ride just driving around town? Being in Orlando-WPB i dont hit many bumpy roads, but theyre not perfect either. In other threads i hear the ride is very bouncy in the rear.

Kozak_SVT

Of Their Own Accord
Established Member
When i had my Lightning lowered all i could think about was raising it back to stock height. Only upgrade you ever need is some adjustable shocks in the rear and to remove the front sway bar at the dragstrip. The 2" shackles are fine and i would keep them but everything else is a wash. I hated how it rode and it certainly was screwy with the weight transfer. It did look tits though....

BTW mine was 2" front(coils) and 4" rear(shackles & hangers).

Unless i missed it, what did you use to drop your truck? Was is the Hotchkis TVS or other parts?

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
A mash up of parts. Hotchkis front coils, no isolators, rear was hangers and shackles with one leaf removed from the spring pack. Ended up being 2" front and 4" rear.

Dusten

Established Member
Hotchkis coils, stock leaves and shackles will sit with a rake. I have hotchkis coils and leaves, stock shackles and it sits very level. Its rough, but not unbearable. Stock shocks will bottom out.

Kozak_SVT

Of Their Own Accord
Established Member
Hotchkis coils, stock leaves and shackles will sit with a rake. I have hotchkis coils and leaves, stock shackles and it sits very level. Its rough, but not unbearable. Stock shocks will bottom out.

What is "sitting with a rake"? And since my year has a higher rear end i should stick with the lowering shackles so that itll be level with the tvs hotchkis kit? Also, the are HPS 1000 shocks the hotchkis-bilstein shocks and how long do those last with the TVS kit? I read on another thread that they lasted 10-15k miles, and that is a ridiculously short life span if true.

Dusten

Established Member
What is "sitting with a rake"? And since my year has a higher rear end i should stick with the lowering shackles so that itll be level with the tvs hotchkis kit? Also, the are HPS 1000 shocks the hotchkis-bilstein shocks and how long do those last with the TVS kit? I read on another thread that they lasted 10-15k miles, and that is a ridiculously short life span if true.
Sitting with a rake is when the rear end of your truck sits higher than the front end of your truck. Your your truck has a higher rear end due to the factory leaf springs are installed. By installing the hotkeys leaf springs you remove that issue and the truck was hit level with Hotchkis leaf springs and factory shackles. If you install the aftermarket shackles with the Hotchkiss leaves you will need to remove the isolators on the front coils to keep the truck level. Ive never used the hotchkis shocks, but i have trouble believing that story, and haven't heard of any issues.

Dusten

Established Member
Here is a picture of my truck with the Hotchkis suspension in place and stock shackles
6d7dd7508f57def215eeddf4e005941b.jpg

Kozak_SVT

Of Their Own Accord
Established Member
Sitting with a rake is when the rear end of your truck sits higher than the front end of your truck. Your your truck has a higher rear end due to the factory leaf springs are installed. By installing the hotkeys leaf springs you remove that issue and the truck was hit level with Hotchkis leaf springs and factory shackles. If you install the aftermarket shackles with the Hotchkiss leaves you will need to remove the isolators on the front coils to keep the truck level. Ive never used the hotchkis shocks, but i have trouble believing that story, and haven't heard of any issues.

Oh ok, didnt know my year had different leaf springs and thats what made it ride higher, always thought it was something else. And i assume the rake is harmless and that its more of an aesthetic thing? Nice truck btw.

Kozak_SVT

Of Their Own Accord
Established Member
Also sorry for double posting, but the kit comes with everything i'd need? i dont need a lowering kit/Camber kit or anything like that besides an alignment?

Dusten

Established Member
Also sorry for double posting, but the kit comes with everything i'd need? i dont need a lowering kit/Camber kit or anything like that besides an alignment?
You'd need to source stock shackles, but that's it. It's springs, sway bars, shocks. .

Rake is purely aesthetic.

Kozak_SVT

Of Their Own Accord
Established Member
You'd need to source stock shackles, but that's it. It's springs, sway bars, shocks. .

Rake is purely aesthetic.

Ok, really appreciate all the advice given, cleares up a lot of the confusion.
Btw what shocks do you use?

Dusten

Established Member
How does it ride with the drop shocks?
And did you just get the shocks only from that site?
Shocks were truck when purchased.

Honestly im not happy with the ride, but its been six years since ive been in a stock truck so i cant even compare

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
As a side note, anyone looking for replacement factory Bilstien's they are on backorder North America wide, apparently since last summer. Suppliers are quoting me a March restocking date, why do I know this you might be asking?

12552616_1277214768974614_3658306124132825832_n.jpg

1129_1277214788974612_4737301141702900924_n.jpg

Walking speed over a parking lot speed bump was too much for it I guess. FML.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Hows the ride just driving around town? Being in Orlando-WPB i dont hit many bumpy roads, but theyre not perfect either. In other threads i hear the ride is very bouncy in the rear.

It's firm, but not bad. IMO it's perfect, especially with a chassis x-brace.

Users who are viewing this thread