Confused about afr and wide band

SVT DAN

Established Member
Ok so I'm over at speedhut looking to get my gauges. AFR and fuel pressure. Ill be using my stock boost gauge with just an overlay. Anyways, when I was at SH, they have the numbered a/f gauge and the barred a/f. I was gunna keep it simple with just barred version but was informed that the numbers gauge give more easy to read information as far as how much lean how much rich. Ok I digg that but what I'm reading is that these SH gauges are meant to be use with a wide band ie aeroforce aem etc. so I'm thinking, what's the point of the SH gauge if u need the wide band anyway. Maybe I'm an idiot and not getting it. An explanation would be awesome since I'm tuning my cobra in a week. Also, how does the numbers work in the first place? "My air to fuel ratio is 15" how does that help anything?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Some w/b's come with gauges, some don't, and others it's a option. The SH is only a gauge so you would need the w/b controller. I have a DJWBC that came with a gauge, but swapped that gauge out with a SH to match my other ones. Get the one with numbers so you can actually see what the a/f is.

SVT DAN

Established Member
Some w/b's come with gauges, some don't, and others it's a option. The SH is only a gauge so you would need the w/b controller. I have a DJWBC that came with a gauge, but swapped that gauge out with a SH to match my other ones. Get the one with numbers so you can actually see what the a/f is.

So I would have to buy the wide band then just get rid of the wide band gauge and hook the wiring up to my SH gauge?

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
So I would have to buy the wide band then just get rid of the wide band gauge and hook the wiring up to my SH gauge?

no, you can buy just a wideband controller and sensor that is not an integrated package with a gauge. (ie - built in gauge)

something like this lc-1 from innovate. i use this with my speedhut cabin w/b gauge. you can also pick up a 9-pin din cable if you would like to datalog with an sct handheld/laptop. good luck

LC-1 Lambda Cable with 02 Sensor : Wideband Controller Cable for Dyno, ECU, Data Acquisition, or Gauge Applications

ctgreddy

Established Member
Or just buy an aem wideband for 200 and save some money and headaches.

also, are you tuning the car or someone else? if you're attempting it and you dont know how a wideband helps you then you should do a lot more reading.

A wideband gives the exact air to fuel ratio, and 90% of the time you want around 14.7. for idleing, cruising, etc. However, at full throttle you need more fuel, more fuel is a lower number, less is a higher number. for a cobra, which is a supercharged car, you'd ideally want to be in the 11.5-11.8 range for full throttle. On a naturally aspirated car you can lean it out more to around 12.8. but i would keep it at or lower than 11.8 to have a good power and safe tune.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
^^^What the guy before him said, I know of quite a few companies that sell just the controller. The SH gauge will be controlled by the 0-5v analog out from the w/b. As mentioned, get the gauge with numbers and not the bars, as they are only a narrow band light show.

Last edited:

SVT DAN

Established Member
Or just buy an aem wideband for 200 and save some money and headaches.

also, are you tuning the car or someone else? if you're attempting it and you dont know how a wideband helps you then you should do a lot more reading.

A wideband gives the exact air to fuel ratio, and 90% of the time you want around 14.7. for idleing, cruising, etc. However, at full throttle you need more fuel, more fuel is a lower number, less is a higher number. for a cobra, which is a supercharged car, you'd ideally want to be in the 11.5-11.8 range for full throttle. On a naturally aspirated car you can lean it out more to around 12.8. but i would keep it at or lower than 11.8 to have a good power and safe tune.

No, I'm not tuning it. Jpc is. I was just confused on how it was supposed to work. And I rather have matching gauges then two different ones. Thanks for the information. I was at a stand still, didnt know wtf to do lol

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I'd consider taking off and selling my entire innovative LC-1 for the right price.....

Torrance

Shenanigans!
Established Member
You just need to specify to SH which wide band youre getting and they'll configure the gauge. Personally, I have the AEM UEGO and a SH Revolution guage with the SVT logo and love it.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
no, you can buy just a wideband controller and sensor that is not an integrated package with a gauge. (ie - built in gauge)

something like this lc-1 from innovate. i use this with my speedhut cabin w/b gauge. you can also pick up a 9-pin din cable if you would like to datalog with an sct handheld/laptop. good luck

LC-1 Lambda Cable with 02 Sensor : Wideband Controller Cable for Dyno, ECU, Data Acquisition, or Gauge Applications

This.

Just installed my LC-1 and SH guage last week. When it came time to calibrate, the shop was able to get it to within .02 -.03 accuracy as what the dyno was reading.

Bought the LC-1 from a vendor on here. PM me if interested

ctgreddy

Established Member
if you're taking it somewhere to get tuned then you dont really "need" to have a wideband. they'll have one there and most likely wont even look at yours.

SVT DAN

Established Member
if you're taking it somewhere to get tuned then you dont really "need" to have a wideband. they'll have one there and most likely wont even look at yours.

Right, I read into that. But my problem is I need a base tune before I can even start my car. I have no truck or trailer or any other way to get my car to the dyno. So I would like to have a afr guage to see what's going on with my motor on the way to the dyno. I am not saying nothing bad about base tune tuner etc just rather be safe then needing a new motor.

Users who are viewing this thread