Condensation under car cover

verbal

Established Member
With the warm weather in PA today I decided to pull the car out of the garage today and start it up. As I started to pull the cover off, I immediately noticed the high amount of condensation on the paint and windows and then realized there was water collecting around the skirt of the cover. How bad is this for the car and is there a way to prevent this? I have seen others placing tarps or mats under the car but I thought it was to protect the undercarriage. Will it prevent condensation under the cover as well? I would have thought this cover was more breathable.

Grey03

Established Member
I live in Ohio and had the same thing yesterday. Cold car meeting warm moist air is going to produce condensation. Nothing you can do unless you have one of those bubbles like the previous poster said. I don't worry about it, it evaporates relatively quick.

big_ole_truck

Established Member
Severe sweating or condensation here in Florida for the past few days. Supposedly a car cover is suppose to let humidity pass thru the material but you seen the reality of the situation.

You can heat the garage, air condition the garage or just let time take care of the condition. I rarely use a car cover since my garage is not temperature and humidity conditioned. Remove the cover until the humidity has evaporated.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I went with the car capsule. Couldn't be happier.

CarCapsule - The Original Car Bubble
Neat product and not as expensive as I imagined! If I lived in a more humid climate, I'd definitely go this route.

You can heat the garage, air condition the garage or just let time take care of the condition. Remove the cover until the humidity has evaporated.
Good advice. :beer:

Let the car cool down before you cover it.
While I believe this is good general advice, I don't see how would help the OP with his condensation problem. As Grey03 said, condensation is caused by a cold object (in this case OP's car) meeting warm moist air. As I understand the OP, he found the condensation when he removed the cover that had been on the car for days/weeks. :shrug:

verbal

Established Member
Severe sweating or condensation here in Florida for the past few days. Supposedly a car cover is suppose to let humidity pass thru the material but you seen the reality of the situation.

You can heat the garage, air condition the garage or just let time take care of the condition. I rarely use a car cover since my garage is not temperature and humidity conditioned. Remove the cover until the humidity has evaporated.

Yeah, I guess I just need to be mindful of when the weather gets like this again and pull the cover off. I will keep the cover off and the windows cracked for the next couple of days.

Let the car cool down before you cover it.

I have not started the car in over a month and it was cool before the last time I covered it.

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
Neat product and not as expensive as I imagined! If I lived in a more humid climate, I'd definitely go this route.

Good advice. :beer:

While I believe this is good general advice, I don't see how would help the OP with his condensation problem. As Grey03 said, condensation is caused by a cold object (in this case OP's car) meeting warm moist air. As I understand the OP, he found the condensation when he removed the cover that had been on the car for days/weeks. :shrug:

I think we're on the same page. I'm not doubting the moisture was there for a few days, but I'm curious if the OP put his cover on the car right after pulling it into the garage?

You trap that warm air in there in a cold garage and boom, moisture. I'm thinking, had the car had time to cool down, it would have been the same temp as the surrounding air and been just fine.

My mustangs sit under covers and they don't accumulate moisture just hanging out.

verbal

Established Member
I think we're on the same page. I'm not doubting the moisture was there for a few days, but I'm curious if the OP put his cover on the car right after pulling it into the garage?

You trap that warm air in there in a cold garage and boom, moisture. I'm thinking, had the car had time to cool down, it would have been the same temp as the surrounding air and been just fine.

My mustangs sit under covers and they don't accumulate moisture just hanging out.

I had the cover off a week ago for an oil change with no signs of moisture. I never started the car. It went from 30 degrees to high 60's this week with a lot of rain and snow melt. My entire garage floor is covered in condensation and the bottom of car is actually dripping water.

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
I had the cover off a week ago for an oil change with no signs of moisture. I never started the car. It went from 30 degrees to high 60's this week with a lot of rain and snow melt. My entire garage floor is covered in condensation and the bottom of car is actually dripping water.

sounds like you need a moisture barrier for the floor. I cover my concrete floor with a thick tarp with no issues

g/l

verbal

Established Member
sounds like you need a moisture barrier for the floor. I cover my concrete floor with a thick tarp with no issues

g/l

+1! Dripping wet undercarriage when stored = lots of long-term problems. Strongly recommend a moisture barrier or a car capsule, OP.

Thanks. I will try the tarp this week. I don't think the capsule is a option with my garage.

blkGT500nCA

Established Member

Ohh, there you go. Just trying to eliminate one thing at a time. :beer:

sb03cobra

Established Member
Time for a car capsule or buy a dehumidifier. I use one in my garage and have no problems with moisture. My floor is also epoxy coated and that helps too.

Kapy

Established Member
With the warm weather in PA today I decided to pull the car out of the garage today and start it up. As I started to pull the cover off, I immediately noticed the high amount of condensation on the paint and windows and then realized there was water collecting around the skirt of the cover. How bad is this for the car and is there a way to prevent this? I have seen others placing tarps or mats under the car but I thought it was to protect the undercarriage. Will it prevent condensation under the cover as well? I would have thought this cover was more breathable.

If in garage why cover? Doing major work around it? Kids running around? ???

Keep a cover off of the car especially indoors.

Last edited:

1214boss302

Established Member
Cold car warm air temp... put ceiling fans in your garage to circulate air making it a constant temp cheaper than heating but both worked for me.

brianz426

Established Member
+1! Dripping wet undercarriage when stored = lots of long-term problems. Strongly recommend a moisture barrier or a car capsule, OP.

Cold car warm air temp... put ceiling fans in your garage to circulate air making it a constant temp cheaper than heating but both worked for me.

These two^ or run one or two small fans on the garage floor blowing under the car. If you don't minimize or prevent that moisture you will start to see rust and corrosion in areas you wouldn't normally see it. Depending on the cover you have that trapped moisture could also permanently fog the paint.

R1Lello

Established Member
ok, since no one asked, what kind of car cover? The good ones actually breathe.....I've have no issues and had the CoverCraft 'Dustop' for years on several cars

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
ok, since no one asked, what kind of car cover? The good ones actually breathe.....I've have no issues and had the CoverCraft 'Dustop' for years on several cars
Given the OP's description of his "entire garage floor is covered in condensation and the bottom of car is actually dripping water", I'm not sure I see what difference it makes. The problem has little to do with the brand/type of cover and everything to do with high relative humidity and lack of air flow UNDER the car.

verbal

Established Member

It is the OEM cover that came with the car.

If in garage why cover? Doing major work around it? Kids running around? ???

Keep a cover off of the car especially indoors.

I keep all my lawn equipment in the garage and the doors are open a lot so there is a ton of dust. I thought the OEM cover was meant to be used as an indoor dust cover. The cover does not look like it would hold up well outdoors.

I am moving in a couple of weeks so I will see if the new house has the same issues.

Users who are viewing this thread