Computer Tech Needed

mystic04

Established Member
JR to turn it on you pull the black cord out of the back then look for a red switch and move to where it says 220 then insert the black cord again and turn on.please don't do that.

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
mystic04 said:
JR to turn it on you pull the black cord out of the back then look for a red switch and move to where it says 220 then insert the black cord again and turn on.please don't do that.

Now that's just mean. :-D

SVTcobra04

Established Member
Cobrachs said:
What makes it a GOOD ONE?

out of the three computers ive built ive used Asus boards in em, and havnt had one problem.

whats your spending limit? are you reusing anything from your old pc? right now I would definatly go the amd athlon 64 s939 route if your into gaming, or the X2(amd dual core).

Andrew

Cobrachs

Established Member
Last edited:

SVTcobra04

Established Member
Cobrachs said:
i appreciate everyone help and JR please dont blow up your computer, ok I have another few questions Here are three processors all similiar but different.

What does process type either 90nm or 65nm mean

and why does the one with less l2 cache cost 26 bucks more, maybe because its older and not as big a seller, I dont know

links to these procs?

andrew

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Cobrachs said:
Here are three processors all similiar but different.

What does process type either 90nm or 65nm mean

and why does the one with less l2 cache cost 26 bucks more, maybe because its older and not as big a seller, I dont know

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2E16819116196,N82E16819116220,N82E16819116005

First of all, this link has the most information I've ever seen compiled in one place with regards to semiconductor technology and nanotechnology and such.

Here's a brief summary (and others are obligated to correct me where applicable) of processes and the difference between 90nm and 65nm:

First of all, 90 nanometer (nm) process refers to the average feature size of a chip. In otherwords, a feature for that chip is, on average, 90nm. (NOTE: Minimum feature size on a 90nm process chip can be as low as ~45nm) The standard before the 90nm process was the 0.13 micrometer (130nm) process. The current, most-advanced, widely available process is the 65nm process (which has feature sizes as small as 35nm, but average is 65nm). For reference, the HIV virus is approximately 120nm in diameter, a human red blood cell is around 7000nm, and a human hair is typically around 80000nm.

The smaller the process, the more circuit 'real estate' (transistors per a given area) and increased speed (achieved due to smaller processor gates) there is. The more transistors per a given area, the more processing can occur in one time period. The smaller a processor gate, the quicker it can change between "ON" and "OFF", thus resulting in increased processing speed.

There are, of course, issues with continuing to make processes smaller. The largest of these is a problem called leakage. Leakage occurs when, due to the extremely small size of the walls between wires, electrons actually jump between wires on a chip. Leakage results in higher power consumption and heat output. To overcome leakage in 65nm process chips, a very thin layer of oxide is applied to the silicon wafer, which acts as insulating material to keep electrons inside of the chip's structures.

Check out those links or do a google search to learn more. It's pretty cool stuff if you take a couple of minutes to try to understand it. :beer:

Oh, and given the choices of chips you provided, I would choose the 651 Cedar Mill 2MB L2 Cache ($278.00). :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Cobrachs

Established Member
Thanks again, I think that is what I am going to get , it seems to be my best choice the 3.6 are another 125 bucks or so, and I guess that is the best 3.4 available

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Cobrachs said:
Thanks again, I think that is what I am going to get , it seems to be my best choice the 3.6 are another 125 bucks or so, and I guess that is the best 3.4 available

Another 200 MHz for $125 more does not make sense from a price/performance perspective.

I think the 651 is a good choice :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread