Computer Tech Needed

Cobrachs

Established Member
I want to build a new computer. My current computer works fine except when I play City of Heroes. Even then its ok most of the time but it locks up more often then I like. I think it is either some other program trying to run or the power supply isnt big enough, but since its proprietary (sp) I havent found a larger replacement.

So I am looking at tigerdirect.com trying to figure out a mother board and processor combo, and the only reason I look here is because I have seen there ads before so if you know some place else thats good please let me know.

My main question right now is which socket 478 or 775 and whats the difference. Also whats your take on dual core, I was told for gaming only there is no advantage

Thanks

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
I'd go with the 775! It has a faster bus rate plus the 478 is soon to be phased out of intel. Dual core will be overall better for gaming, yes! I don't think games are multi-proccessed formatted yet though. I'd go to www.newegg.com and look into the ASROCK motherboards. For gaming that's all you'll need! Tigerdirect sucks IMO. Good luck

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

I have used newegg and pricewatch.com and have had great success with them. I think I have some other sites saved at home.

I might be looking to upgrade soon as well, but all I want is a new socket A processor and more ram. All my other stuff is pretty good. I have just noticed my computer getting a little slower. I need to clean some things off it, defrag, minor upgrades and should be good again. wonder what the fastest socket A process available is. I have a soltek mobo and love it. a lot of features I don't even use, but at the time it was one of the best.

Cobrachs

Established Member
Thanks, I wasnt sure about tigerdirect just that they had stuff to look at so I will check some of these other sites out. I had intended to use my local computer shop and may still but everytime I asked a question I couldnt get a straight answer I felt like I was at a used car dealer and all he wanted to know was how much do ya want to spend

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
wonder what the fastest socket A process available is. I have a soltek mobo and love it.

The athlon's are crushing the P4's right now. I'd say it's one of their XP 4000's. I'm not too keen on AMD though.

BTW, Soltek makes pretty damn good MB's as well. :beer:

Last edited:

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Cobrachs said:
I want to build a new computer. My current computer works fine except when I play City of Heroes. Even then its ok most of the time but it locks up more often then I like. I think it is either some other program trying to run or the power supply isnt big enough, but since its proprietary (sp) I havent found a larger replacement.

So I am looking at tigerdirect.com trying to figure out a mother board and processor combo, and the only reason I look here is because I have seen there ads before so if you know some place else thats good please let me know.

My main question right now is which socket 478 or 775 and whats the difference. Also whats your take on dual core, I was told for gaming only there is no advantage

Thanks

My first question would be, why build a new one? Have you reached the limits of your current computer? Are there any good upgrade paths?

But that aside...

I would highly suggest following 1 of the 3 builds outlined in the following article:

http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/system-guide-200604.ars

These builds are gaming-focused and (except for the case of the God Box) are attempting to get the most bang for your buck.

I am going to build an upgraded, Intel version of the Hot Rod in the near future that will be able to do gaming very well (all parts shipped ~$3200). And, for what it's worth, I will not be running dual core, but my mobo will be dual-core (and SLI) capable.

My only critique of them is that they almost never have intel boards/CPUs. For gaming, AMDs do perform better, but Intel still has the edge with many applications other than games (especially media encoding/decoding).

Check out the links they give in the article for pricing information also, because they have comparison of prices from NUMEROUS vendors, including Tiger.com, mwave.com, newegg.com, etc, etc, etc.

Check it out.

Now, if you're looking for a "How-To" on building computers, that's a different topic altogether.

Let me know if you have any questions, Charles :beer:

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

DO NOT PAY A LOCAL SHOP FOR PARTS OR ASSEMBLY. I can put it together for you and teach if you do not know how. Don't waste the money with them. buy everything online and lets get it together.

Cobrachs

Established Member
I have built computers before, but its like car parts you can always find them cheaper online but in my opinion having a store to deal with is worth a little extra money, not a lot, but a little and if they were close I would have gladly bought the parts through them.

As far as my computer goes its great over all 2.8p4, 1.5 gb ram, 120 gb hd, nvidia agp 6600 video card, but it will lock up during the game when I am teaming with others. I think its either another program conflicting or the power supply which I havent been able to find a replacement of proper size.

I want to put a box together with bare windows xp and no other crap running

I am thinking p4 3.4, 2 gb ram and a nice pcie video card and a cool ass case with neon and shit

Shambles

Fetch the COMFY CHAIR!
Established Member
Newegg for parts...

Xoxide.com for cooling.

I personally would go with AMD, but im a bit biased :). 64-Bit CPU's make me smile.

mystic04

Established Member
newegg.com i build computers a lot first part is the motherboard make sure you get a good one . then ram.sata hd, video go at least 256 for video if your gamming a lot.for motherboard info try tomshardware.com. they test everythign under the sun on that site it will direct you to just what you may want to buy and build.

Cobrachs

Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
features you want, reputable company, great reviews, upgradability with ram and processors. stuff like that.

Features like what? Aslong as its slotted for what I want, ie pci express video and at least 2gb ram what else matters

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Cobrachs said:
Features like what? Aslong as its slotted for what I want, ie pci express video and at least 2gb ram what else matters

I think most would agree that the following companies are quality mobo manufacturers: Abit, ASUS, MSI, Intel, Tyan, Gigabyte

I am looking at the ASUSTeK P5N32-SLI Deluxe for my next build.

Any of the above companies would do well. Make sure you consider things like how many USB, 1394, PCI, etc slots you want. :beer:

mystic04

Established Member
Blk03SVTCobra said:
I think most would agree that the following companies are quality mobo manufacturers: Abit, ASUS, MSI, Intel, Tyan, Gigabyte

I am looking at the ASUSTeK P5N32-SLI Deluxe for my next build.

Any of the above companies would do well. Make sure you consider things like how many USB, 1394, PCI, etc slots you want. :beer:
+1

JRS BLOWN SNAKE

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
Well, not sure what the H... any of you are talking about. I'm just a dumbass key pecker, so can't offer any info. Charles. I thought your question may be something like, " HOW DO I TURN IT ON " That, I could help you with. lol.....

Good luck with your monster build up.

J.R.

Users who are viewing this thread