Computer experts help on getting windows 10 for an old laptop

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member
I have an old laptop with obsolete vista on it. I spoke to an IT guy at work about overwriting it with windows 10 without having to buy it. He smiled and detailed how to do this but I dont remember the multi step process he described. It involved getting the download from MS , burning to a disc then installing from disc with a pirate program that possibly gives you a product key. Pretty complicated for me. Has anyone done this and can help me. He said he has done it and it works fine but I dont know when Ill see him again. THX

TexasPoke

Established Member
If you don't feel comfortable using UTorrent and torrent sites such as piratebay, I wouldn't follow that advice. You can end up doing more harm to your PC by downloading fake "authentication keys", or, virus filled torrents. It can be a pain even with the key as a lot of the times they are trial keys through torrent sites. Thus, you will really be SOL in a few months when your product key is bogus.

I suggest either biting the bullet and upgrading the laptop (If your PC came with Vista, it's an old workstation and has outdated technology.).

If you don't want to do that, you can get an install disc at any major retailer really.

Or, make the IT guy do it when you see him again as he probably knows a certain seeder that has a legit copy of the operating system.

Last edited:

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member
If you don't feel comfortable using UTorrent and torrent sites such as piratebay, I wouldn't follow that advice. You can end up doing more harm to your PC by downloading fake "authentication keys", or, virus filled torrents. It can be a pain even with the key as a lot of the times they are trial keys through torrent sites. Thus, you will really be SOL in a few months when your product key is bogus.

I suggest either biting the bullet and upgrading the laptop (If your PC came with Vista, it's an old workstation and has outdated technology.).

If you don't want to do that, you can get an install disc at any major retailer really.

Or, make the IT guy do it when you see him again as he probably knows a certain seeder that has a legit copy of the operating system.

That sounds a little out of my league. I would need some pretty clear instructions. Its a barely used laptop but I dont fancy paying over $100 for windows 10 to get it going.

TexasPoke

Established Member
That sounds a little out of my league. I would need some pretty clear instructions. Its a barely used laptop but I dont fancy paying over $100 for windows 10 to get it going.

Yeah, it most likely is and I also do not recommend updating outdated hardware. The newer operating system may be even more laggy and buggy with the older technology.

Buddy up with the IT dude and see if he can grab your laptop for a day to do the upgrade. Or, it's time for a new laptop. Or, you can PM me if you want to give it a go. I do software development and won't tell you to put haxor p0rn or bug your computer ha. Just at work today for a RODC install and bored.

NastyNate420

Established Member
I downloaded Windows 10 for free from the Microsoft website. However my processor isnt capable of running windows 10 and it would not install.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
You sure your laptop can run win10? Try a lightweight version of linux, your old computer will thank you. free free free

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Waste of time to upgrade, just stick with Vista. Buy new laptop when you're ready.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
That is not an answer to my question.

You said you're inexperienced in this realm, so I offered my experienced advice. You are chasing something that is a waste of time and effort. Unless you have a functional requirement for a piece of software to run on 10, then why bother? You're going to have a new OS on an antiquated laptop that will be slow as molasses. Not to mention 10 has its own share of issues to deal with.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Here is what I would do. Find an unused OEM Restore Win7 DVD for your brand of laptop, either via craigslist or eBay. There is a seal and if it is not broken, you are fine. Use that to put Win7 on it and then you can do the free upgrade. While you are at it, now would be a good time to install a solid state hard drive. You can squeeze a few more years out of it with that. Best of luck

OIC

Established Member
Do you have a reason to run windows 10 or just want the latest OS? No matter the reason, here's what you need to know if you continue down the Windows 10 process:

Here is what you need to get the Windows 10 for PCs upgrade:

Processor: 1GHz or faster processor or SoC
RAM: 1GB for 32-bit, 2GB for 64-bit
Hard disk space: 16GB for 32-bit OS, 20GB for 64-bit OS
Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
Display: 1024×600 resolution

If you have Windows Vista, Windows XP, or anything older, you’ll have to buy Windows 10 and install it from scratch. That said, if you still have a computer running such an old operating system, it’s probably time to get a new computer anyway.

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member
You sure your laptop can run win10? Try a lightweight version of linux, your old computer will thank you. free free free

After all the input I decided to try linux lite. System requirements were pretty limiting and I wasnt hell bent on 10 just wanted something functional. The linux is a little different but got me up and running well again ! Running much smoother and faster.It even includes similar to word and excel. I get to keep my old laptop for a while longer. Thanks to all for lending me your'e expertise.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think you'll be happy with Linux Lite. The Word & Excel alternatives are slightly different than the Microsoft variants, but you'll learn them quickly. Let us know after a few days how you are liking Linux.

MysticRob

Established Member
You can do it the completely legal way. Here's what I did to get Windows 7 Ultimate very cheap.

1. download the OS from here for FREE: http://mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/
MS no longer has these OS's available to download on their own site, but there are 3rd party mirrors like this.

2. To verify the OS download is the proper file type and size, verify the SHA1 hash value. You can do this by downloading an app like this: https://raylin.wordpress.com/downloads/md5-sha-1-checksum-utility/
Then using the app to compare the file you downloaded to what MS has on their own site like this for 7 Ultimate:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/downloads/default.aspx#FileId=46948

3. Buy a valid Ultimate key from someone on ebay or elsewhere. The Ultimate key I bought (BTW, keys work for either 32- or 64-bit OS) was from someone in Italy with 100% positive feedback for $11. He emailed the key within the hour.

4. Install the OS, use the key to validate the OS, then MS will use Windows Update to allow you to install Windows 10 for free.

So the entire thing cost me $11 and I have the OS and valid key.

All this having been said, I allowed 7 to download and install W-10 but hated the tiled interface and "8-bit looking graphics" it used. I went back to Windows 7 Ultimate and tweaked it to look like XP Pro, which is still my favorite, with the Quicklaunch shortcuts, Aero features, etc.

Last edited:

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
After all the input I decided to try linux lite. System requirements were pretty limiting and I wasnt hell bent on 10 just wanted something functional. The linux is a little different but got me up and running well again ! Running much smoother and faster.It even includes similar to word and excel. I get to keep my old laptop for a while longer. Thanks to all for lending me your'e expertise.
:beer: and if you don't like that version there are a ton of other lite versions to try.

Users who are viewing this thread