Computer doods

Shiper

Really Cool Guy
Established Member
I'm looking at maybe buying a new (to me) laptop.
My current setup is nothing special but all I do is play a few video games and watch movies at work.

AMD a8 3520M
AMD Radeon HD 6620G
6G ram

This is what I'm looking at getting
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8945572&CatId=4936

My question: is the one I'm looking at a big enough upgrade to be worth it? I'm not too computer savvy.

Any other suggestions are appreciated, I'd like to stay around $500, give or take. Like I said, mainly just games and movies on this laptop.

Thanks dudes

Lightning Lad

Established Member
Lenovo and asus are just about the best laptops for the money right now,and you can find a new one for around 500.

nux1

Established Member
I'd add Acer to that list. You'd be upgrading but in that price range you'd be hard pressed to find a nice processor or dedicated video card. If you're pressed for something then Acer/Asus is the way to go. If you can wait I'd wait to the 650-700 range as you can find much better deals in that range and hardware that doesn't become obsolete within a year.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Lenovo and asus are just about the best laptops for the money right now,and you can find a new one for around 500.

I've seen Lenovo recommended in other threads as well. However, I bought one for my boss a month or so ago ($599.) and I was NOT impressed. The display sucked (you have to angle it perfectly for optimal viewing) and the touch pad is so bad I told him to not use it. Just use a mouse. If I were to do it again, Lenovo would not have been on my list. Maybe they're more expensive laptops are much better.

ShadowFist

Wave Existence
Established Member
First question to ask yourself is 'why do i want to upgrade'.

What is it that you find insufficient with your current laptop? What do you want to be able to do with a new machine?

If it is to run some games, what games? The hardware requirements vary significantly from game to game to the point that it could cost you several hundred dollars more to get a laptop that will run it acceptably.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
My daughter's Lenovo I got her Christmas a year ago is a beast of a machine. Yes I did go over your price range but it is worth it. My HP i7 is also a good machine. I have had it for 1 1/2 years and it still does everything I want it to. But it too was about $200.00 over your price range. ASUS, I was told would be the way to go. Quality materials in their setups.

Users who are viewing this thread