Compression test

11ride4life

Hatorade
Established Member
I have yet to find a tool with a long enough "adapter" (the part that screws into the spark plug hole) to clear the valve covers. What compression tester are you guys using? Also what is normal 150-160?

Thanks,

Last edited:

CobraMac

Established Member
On the terminator, according to factory, normal should be aruond 190. If its between 175 185 though you're fine, nothing is wrong, you're engine is just not putting out as much power as others.

ViciousJay

Established Member
CobraMac said:
On the terminator, according to factory, normal should be aruond 190. If its between 175 185 though you're fine, nothing is wrong, you're engine is just not putting out as much power as others.

on a boosted car... ehhh thats a little high... i was 150 all 7 cylinders excpet one that was 148 :shrug: leak down was 2-4% :beer: :thumbsup:

11ride4life

Hatorade
Established Member
What/were did you get the compression tester? I have 2 different ones for SBC's and SBF's but nothing for DOHC heads?

CobraMac said:

My friend, I've never seen any Ford manual literature discussing what our compression numbers should be. Where did you get the 190 figure from?

Fuerza

Established Member
I'm not sure what is normal. When I bought my car I had a compression check and they were all between 155-165 in all cylinders. I don't feel like my car is down on power for my mods. :shrug:

racebronco2

Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
OT : Was that your dad's gt500 at Willow Springs last weekend?

Yes he was there but i believe "11ride4life" is the dad. The son is just starting to learn how the drive the beast.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
racebronco2 said:
Yes he was there but i believe "11ride4life" is the dad. The son is just starting to learn how the drive the beast.

Evan should bring out his 03 and play with his pops :) He just has to ditch the drag setup.

CobraMac

Established Member
ViciousJay said:
on a boosted car... ehhh thats a little high... i was 150 all 7 cylinders excpet one that was 148 :shrug: leak down was 2-4% :beer: :thumbsup:

That is exactly what the guys told me at ford racing when I called them, so I'll trust that, especially since they were the ones who ran all the tests on my engine since it blew. but i dunno:shrug:

racebronco2

Established Member
racebronco2 said:

Just found out that "11ride4life" is the son.

CobraMac

Established Member
01cobravortech said:
My friend, I've never seen any Ford manual literature discussing what our compression numbers should be. Where did you get the 190 figure from?

Well when my compression test was done with the messed up engine...this is how it went...

1. 185
2. 175
3. 180
4. 180
5. 180
6. 130
7. 120
8. 170

He then proceeded to tell me that the numers in the 170-185 range were fine, but a peak engine should be at 190. Straight from the man. I'll see if I can get some literature on what he is talking about tomorrow. But as you can see the compression on most of the cylinders were up there. Then you also see two that were way low....which obviously are the messed up ones

CobraMac said:
Well when my compression test was done with the messed up engine...this is how it went...

1. 185
2. 175
3. 180
4. 180
5. 180
6. 130
7. 120
8. 170

He then proceeded to tell me that the numers in the 170-185 range were fine, but a peak engine should be at 190. Straight from the man. I'll see if I can get some literature on what he is talking about tomorrow. But as you can see the compression on most of the cylinders were up there. Then you also see two that were way low....which obviously are the messed up ones

The only thing I find puzzling is coveting the 190 compression number. What I mean is I would expect a brand new motor to be easily able to achieve those numbers all around, as long as the motor was built properly. I'm not sure how many motors at the 30k - 50k marker that would be able to produce one cylinder with a 190 compression. From what I've read on ModularFords and other engine manuals, a 160 compression number in motors with 30k or more is a pretty stout number.

mpe331lx

Mine's stock too
Established Member
11ride4life said:
I have yet to find a tool with a long enough "adapter" (the part that screws into the spark plug hole) to clear the valve covers. What compression tester are you guys using? Also what is normal 150-160?

Thanks,

My Matco compression tester fits a 4V.
Ill get the part number off of it when I go to work tomorrow.

I just tried to find mine on thier web site. Matco compression tester
It may be discontinued or upgraded. Mine is similar to the CT166k, but the CT66k should do the trick.

11ride4life

Hatorade
Established Member
mpe331lx said:
My Matco compression tester fits a 4V.
Ill get the part number off of it when I go to work tomorrow.

I just tried to find mine on thier web site. Matco compression tester
It may be discontinued or upgraded. Mine is similar to the CT166k, but the CT66k should do the trick.

Thanks a lot,

Looks like I will have to track down my local Macto truck

CobraMac

Established Member
01cobravortech said:
The only thing I find puzzling is coveting the 190 compression number. What I mean is I would expect a brand new motor to be easily able to achieve those numbers all around, as long as the motor was built properly. I'm not sure how many motors at the 30k - 50k marker that would be able to produce one cylinder with a 190 compression. From what I've read on ModularFords and other engine manuals, a 160 compression number in motors with 30k or more is a pretty stout number.

I completely agree with that, and the compression ratio being lower with the mileage going up. To be honest I had no clue about what the compression ratio should be on our cars until all this crap happened to my car and I had a 2 hour conversation with the 3 mechanics working on it haha

Black2003Vert

Caution.This snake bites
Established Member
Mine was showing around 150-160 the first time I didi it. Month later, when my motor started knocking, I checked it again, and was the same. When I tore down the motor I had melted pistons. I've also talked to other people that have had melted pistons and their compression was good in all cylinders across the board.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Sears has a Crafsman compression tester that has the necessary attachments to do our cars.

And as for a "190" reading, to a degree this is dictated by the gauge used. I don't think many are completely calibrated all the time. I've seen "normal readings from 170 on some cars to 190 on others on different occasions.

Users who are viewing this thread