Compression test results. Any reccomendations for a shortblock

lunadiver

Established Member
Hello, sorry if this topic is beat to death. I've been researching a lot the past couple days and undecided where to go from here.

Anyway, the other day I noticed some smoke coming out of my exhaust, and it smelt like a two stroke. Also noticed a "rattle can" like noise when accelerating but intermittently. I decided to do a compression test and I got 150-155 psi for all cylinders except for 7 I ended up with 130 psi. I poured a capful of oil in 7 and ended up shooting up to 180 psi. So I'm assuming my rings are shot.

I've been browsing short blocks online from mmr, dss, l&m (but I don't see a 4.6 or 4.75 on l&m). I noticed fox lake has two websites and one offers short blocks and head porting and the other looks to only have cylinder head porting.

Does anyone have any other recommendations to look at or recent experience with any of the ones mentioned. I'm real curious about the fox lake as they seem to have a real good reputation with their heads. I plan on emailing them tomorrow to see if they still do engines or what's going on with the websites.

Sorry if this post is a little hard to follow, I've been up for 40+ hours and thanks for your responses!

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Rambro

Established Member
Teskid block, use your stock crank and rods and bump the compression with custom pistons.

lunadiver

Established Member
Build it yourself. Go with the Aluminator block - they are newer and easier to find: Aluminator Gibtec Build
I just came across that thread this morning but haven't read through it just yet. I have seen a couple threads that the aluminum blocks had issues with warping with the blowers? Or is it only an issue if it overheats?

lunadiver

Established Member
What compression ration would you guys recommend. I plan on keeping the unported Eaton for another year then going with a vmp or whipple and e85 if the last pump stays open.

MG0h3

Established Member
Having more overlap will reduce cylinder pressure at lower RPMS, but increase it at higher RPMS because you can get more air in the cylinder than a smaller cam would. So in theory, I'd say the answer is yes. But the highest risk of detonation is right around peak torque. Wouldn't want to use a cam that reduces that.

No E85 around?

lunadiver

Established Member
Having more overlap will reduce cylinder pressure at lower RPMS, but increase it at higher RPMS because you can get more air in the cylinder than a smaller cam would. So in theory, I'd say the answer is yes. But the highest risk of detonation is right around peak torque. Wouldn't want to use a cam that reduces that.

No E85 around?
Yeah I dont really want to kill peak torque.
I have one e85 pump left about 10 miles away and a vp racing gas station that has 110 around 20 miles from me, the other e85 pump got switched to diesel so I don't want to stick to just e85 just in case as it's my dd for now. So maybe a 9:1 instead of 9.5-10 or maybe a j&s vampire with the higher compression?

I've been tossing around the idea of cams and other "while you're there mods" if funds permit but there at the bottom of the list. I know they don't do a whole lot for the Eaton and kill the low end, but they seem to shine with bigger blowers.

01yellercobra

Established Member
A few guys on here are making 700hp with stock cams. Personally unless I was looking for every last horsepower I wouldn't bother with cams.

I'm pretty sure if I ever build an engine I'm going to keep compression around 9:1. But I know I'll be on pump gas 99% of the time. My last build was 9.5, but that was a centri set up and the extra compression helped off boost.

MG0h3

Established Member
Yeah I dont really want to kill peak torque.
I have one e85 pump left about 10 miles away and a vp racing gas station that has 110 around 20 miles from me, the other e85 pump got switched to diesel so I don't want to stick to just e85 just in case as it's my dd for now. So maybe a 9:1 instead of 9.5-10 or maybe a j&s vampire with the higher compression?

I've been tossing around the idea of cams and other "while you're there mods" if funds permit but there at the bottom of the list. I know they don't do a whole lot for the Eaton and kill the low end, but they seem to shine with bigger blowers.

Well it would just move the peak torque; but the only way to decrease cylinder pressure which kills power so we don't want that.

Have you considered meth?

lunadiver

Established Member
Well it would just move the peak torque; but the only way to decrease cylinder pressure which kills power so we don't want that.

Have you considered meth?
Yeah I've considered it. Actually they guy who owned the car before me had it ran for meth because there was a bung in the windshield washer fluid reservoir. But from what I've seen it doesn't offer to many benefits unless you inject post intercooler? Please correct me if I'm wrong

MG0h3

Established Member
I believe you are correct about post intercooler but I honestly don't have any experience with it.

lunadiver

Established Member
That is personal preference. On 91-93 octane I'd run 9.0 - 9.5, on E85 I'd run 10-10.5.
Yeah I decided to go with the 9-9.5 range. Just picked up a tvs 2.3. Just got to tear apart the engine and see how the block is.

Is there a good way to switch back and forth between 93 and e85? Will a gallon or two of e85 od 93 left in the tank mess with the tune all that much?

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
I just came across that thread this morning but haven't read through it just yet. I have seen a couple threads that the aluminum blocks had issues with warping with the blowers? Or is it only an issue if it overheats?

Never have heard that, but don't underestimate the ability of some people to screw up their builds. Mine is 9.0:1, but runs a bit cooler with one of my 170° thermostats along with a good tune. Never had any issues and it has run perfectly since it fired up for the first time almost three years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread