compression ratio + pump gas=wtf

bigriff85

Established Member
That and we are talking about pump gas and lower cr motors not bone stock ones...so yes the blower is limited when turning up the boost...

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Only limit on the TVS so far is the lack of a larger crank pulley. I'm sure that will change. Terminators and Shelbys alike would not put out the numbers they do with stock size crank pulley. I just believe someone hasn't stepped up and done this yet.... There is still TONS of potential in the blower itself.

alex12gt

Established Member
Only limit on the TVS so far is the lack of a larger crank pulley. I'm sure that will change. Terminators and Shelbys alike would not put out the numbers they do with stock size crank pulley. I just believe someone hasn't stepped up and done this yet.... There is still TONS of potential in the blower itself.

Need to start badgering companies lol.....but like i said if the snakebite setup will work then we wont have a need for an od pulley

alex12gt

Established Member
Well hell then let me know what ya find out if they need a blower id be willing to pull mine if needed

Michael-L&M

Established Member
Really tying your hands on making 700 rwhp while strapping it with the handicap of pump gas. Not saying it can't be done just makes it harder and more expensive. There are many options of many different ways.

I've never been a fan of Methanol injection myself.

Cams... The nice thing the re-grind option offers are they are lighter has the factory uses pressed on lobes not billet blanks like aftermarket.(you can have the aftermarket ones gun drilled to make up that). And they are cheaper. The down side is the shimming and some have issues with grinding down the base circle takes away some of the surface that was hardened from the Heat Treat process. Some early Modulars would develop hair line fractures. In my eyes Regrinds are a choice only when an aftermarket unit does not exist.

I agree that 700 rwhp is not mandatory all the time and it would be far cheaper just to strap a different pulley and dump some race gas in the tank and have at it. Depends all on how you plan to use it and what kind of budget you have to work with. You can make 700 with a TVS.

Now this guy is sane and reading these posts shows he has a good grasp on the basics.

Anything can be done, including some of these crazy boost/power numbers if given enough money.
We never really have enough octane, sure the guy down the street got away with it, but most eventually won't. I don't see most folks in chat rooms having enough money to recover from an engine failure.

I am always asked these questions and I have a simple answer; Race=race fuel, Street=street fuel Octane booster is a pair of suspenders and we are not petroleum engineers, so it's still pump fuel and treated as such. Some guys run pump fuel because race fuel is too expensive. Well, I have a shop full of pump fuel failures and one can buy a lot of race fuel for the cost of an engine.

I guess running 8's or so with 93 gives some folks a misplaced hard on.

Michael

alex12gt

Established Member
well looks like there are a few guys interested in buying my 2.3 setup so now the question is if i should actually sell it and go for a new setup or just stick with what i have....

CharlieR

Established Member
I skimmed through this but I didn't see anyone mention the difference in ring gap on the 11:1 vs. the 9.5. FRPP doesn't recommend the 11:1 engine for use with forced induction at all. Could you? of course, but IMO if you want higher compression for forced induction I'd say the aluminator isn't your best option. Have one built/set-up with the comp ratio you want and "boost friendly" specs. my .02

mazroth

Established Member
I skimmed through this but I didn't see anyone mention the difference in ring gap on the 11:1 vs. the 9.5. FRPP doesn't recommend the 11:1 engine for use with forced induction at all. Could you? of course, but IMO if you want higher compression for forced induction I'd say the aluminator isn't your best option. Have one built/set-up with the comp ratio you want and "boost friendly" specs. my .02

Ive asked before. The ring gap is the same. For better emissions I think. Probably cost savings for Ford as well in one way or another.

alex12gt

Established Member

ford doesnt recomend it but everyone with a stock motor is 11:1 seems to work fine lol as long as the tune is safe and as far as having one built the mmr long block cost 9k im getting an aluminator for 7 and the only real difference is the use of arp main studs....yeah you could argue the rods and pistons are different but they are forged and thats what matters hellion just took one up to 1200hp

mazroth

Established Member
I was debating this in the past. 9.5 to 1 or the 11.1. Well, with the 9.5 to 1, I would need a different blower, and have to sell my TVS. With brenspeeds 9.5 to 1 aluminator, they need to change blowers, cause I dont think the tvs will make much more than 15lbs. So with the 11 to 1, can you keep the boost around 11-12, and still use pump gas? Probably, but will you make 700rwhp? I dunno, VMPs car ran 10 flat at 138, 6.4s in the 1/8th on 11-12lbs, stock airbox and 72mm pulley. Think it was in the 620hp range then...Think they ran 110 cause of stock fuel system though.

I run a can of torco accelerator with mine, even though it has the stock pulley. You can always buy bad gas. If you daily drive the car, pump gas is a must. If its limited, why not use 110 or better?

Last edited:

alex12gt

Established Member
im at around 12lbs now but with forged internals its a little sketchy but the only reason the tvs is limited right now is we dont have an overdrive pulley or a way to overdrive the blower yet....as of a few weeks ago brenspeed wasnt going to change blowers yet they were just going to see what they could get and were even talking with a few places about an od pulley....

as far as gas its not a daily but is tuned for 91 and only ever gets shell 93 from one of the better stations around here so there is a little built in error range there and 110 is way to expensive to run all the time

CharlieR

Established Member
Ive asked before. The ring gap is the same. For better emissions I think. Probably cost savings for Ford as well in one way or another.
Who'd you ask because that is not the info received from Ford Racing. Different pistons, same rods, larger ring gap in the 9.5:1 for Boost. Better emissions??:shrug:

ford doesnt recomend it but everyone with a stock motor is 11:1 seems to work fine lol as long as the tune is safe and as far as having one built the mmr long block cost 9k im getting an aluminator for 7 and the only real difference is the use of arp main studs....yeah you could argue the rods and pistons are different but they are forged and thats what matters hellion just took one up to 1200hp
Yep everyone with a stock motor is 11:1, has a "N/A" ring gap/set-up, but has Crap pistons and rods and is tuned for it. If you're planing on boost/tuning about equal to what stock cars run yea, go for the 11:1 get the extra power. But if Big power is in your plans Save yourself some potential issues and get the 9.5:1(a very good engine @ an unbeatable price) or build a higher compression engine. I can't say if MMR's "pistons and Rods" are as good, worse or better than FRPP's Aluminators, but What Hellion took a 9.5:1 compression version to has little to do with what an 11:1 will survive.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Soon I'll be pulling my motor out to change CR from 10 to 11:1. Will likely be sending the block off to Livernois for a sleeve job for peace of mind while it's out.
The car made over 800 rwhp SAE with the 2.9l, 2.75 pulley on E85 with 10:1, looking for over 900 with 11:1.

E85 plus elevation make it a no brainer. Even without ethanol you could still run a safe pump tune without much timing and pulley it down for the street. These motors are so efficient under boost with the stock CR, it's a shame to neuter them according to old-school conventional wisdom.

grnenvy

Established Member
Yes

I would have to agree.
Plus more psi means more heat soak.
Just splash the gas tank with TORCO when racing.

Who told you that? I've said this before, and it's my opinion of course.... 700 HP is equally hard on your motor whether you are achieving it with 11.1 compression and 15 lbs of boost or 9.5.1 compression and 20 lbs of boost. Personally I would take more compression and less boost ALL DAY LONG!

Heat kills motors.....

Users who are viewing this thread