Compression ratio for turbocharged induction

MR.ADAMS

Established Member
I'm looking at internals for an eventual FI build and haven't quite decided on whether I'd like to go with a turbo or a centri application. My question is what an ideal CR is for a turbocharger? Also, what piston brands have a decent reputation?

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
I'm running 8.5:1 (I have an '04 Cobra shortblock) and it's perfect for me...

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
No less than 9.5 to 1. Low compression results in slower turbo spooiling and low pre-boost power...seriously.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
You'll probably get a lot of different answers to this question.

I had my short-block built to 9.3:1 after discussing my plans with several shops. I personally wouldn't want it much if any lower than that or out of boost power is going to suffer...

MR.ADAMS

Established Member
Thanks guys, I realized that the CR doesn't differ much between turbo and centri applications, it's the PD blowers that need lower CR.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I would go no lower than 9.5 to 1...ever. 8.5 to 1 comp results in an hp level that is 5rrwhp lower than the stock conpression at the same boost level, even with a PD blower. I know people running 10 t0 1 compression with turbos and centri superchargers and they are very happy. The pre boost power is great and the turbo engines spool quickly.

Combining a short runner (5-6") and 8.5 to 1 compression results in poor driveability and low power up to 6k when compared to longer runners and higher compression.

jumperjack

Established Member
Food for thought.
[ame=http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154750]Track Results - E85 and 11-1 Compression - ModularFords.com[/ame]

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Last edited:

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
e85 is a great fuel, but it's not readily available everywhere and by the looks of it, it's availablility hasn't expanded in recent months. That thread does however show the potential of a higher compression/low boost setup.

I have a guy running a TT, 324 with 10 to 1 compression and it's on 93 octane, it's pretty impressive.

Sounds like it! I have an NA 281 with stock compression, and it's on 93 octane lol... shit

So it sounds like the better way would be to go higher compression and lower boost/timing rather than lower compression and more boost/timing, which is what I thought.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
e85 is a great fuel, but it's not readily available everywhere and by the looks of it, it's availablility hasn't expanded in recent months.

I recently sold a set of 75lb injectors I had for my setup with plans to go larger for E85 (I even heard there's a set of high impedence 120's available now). Corn gas is pretty readily available in the area of central Illinois where I live but I'm looking to drive this car a lot... take it to Mustang week, want to go out to California with it, etc. I'm beginning to wonder if it wasn't a mistake to pursue the E85 option...

Users who are viewing this thread