Compression and bearings for a street car?

NC Mystic

Established Member
Hey all. I am getting a new block and planning on buying forged rods and pistons for it as soon as the block is freshened up.

It's my daily driver and currently n/a. I would like to be able to throw some boost or spray on it at some point soon but have it drive well n/a so it don't be down totally if i ever have blower issues or just end up spraying it.

So what is the highest compression to run on a n/a daily driven street car that may end up seeing boost or spray. And what bearings, clevite? What rings?

I also will have to get a new oil pump due to shrapnel so is there a quality pump that outperforms the stock unit for around the same price point? Do i need to trash the oil cooler or anything else in that system?

Also i am trying to find a passenger side C head to port match to the driver side to cut down on the top side rebuild cost. I have my B heads still, if the new head i get ends up being bare do the valves and springs etc swap from B to C heads so i can pick a nice set of 4 out of the b heads? i'm sure the cylinder that threw the rod tore up that cylinders valves

Thanks for the help

scarlett98

Established Member
10:1 is a good ratio imo. You can throw low boost at it and make same power as low compression 8.5:1 higher boost.

Diamond pistons 5 cc dish or flat tops.

NC Mystic

Established Member
10:1 is a good ratio imo. You can throw low boost at it and make same power as low compression 8.5:1 higher boost.

Diamond pistons 5 cc dish or flat tops.

5cc dish sounds nice. any real advantage to the flat tops over a shallow dish like that?

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
Slightly better flame front, possibly less chance of detonation. Not worth worrying about on a street car though.

NC Mystic

Established Member
So it should be safe to daily drive an 11-1 ratio flat top piston motor all year?

What about rings? Any brand or type really superior?

NC Mystic

Established Member
It will be n/a indefinitely but is there a ring that would work as well for n/a as molly and be able to survive some pounds of boost down the line?

CJK440

Established Member
Too many variables on what "may come" but your best bet to enjoy a decent Compression N/A motor is to only look at Centri blowers down the road. PD and Turbo will require low CR while the Centri can be added to a higher CR motor and do fine.

NC Mystic

Established Member
if it gets anything it'll be a centri blower, either a procharger or a ysi. But in the mean time (or if the blower was down for whatever reason) I would like it to drive happily n/a. So somewhere between 10.5-11 to 1 compression sounds on the money but do moly rings not like boost?

Users who are viewing this thread