Comprehensive IC Water Pump/System Test Data

sqidd

Established Member
Water flow.jpg

Intercooler Water Pump Flow Data
A Comprehensive Test​

Intro

Alrighty ladies and germs. I think it’s safe to say this is the most comprehensive IC water pump test ever done for the GT500.

It’s pretty clear that there is no such thing as “The Best Pump”. What you want to use will depend on your specific combo, your future plans and your budget.

After all of this testing, the information I got from a few thermal engineers combined with how I am seeing certain flow numbers perform in real life I’m confident in saying that you can’t have too much water flow. I’ve been testing my blown S550 at 19gpm a lot this season. It works incredibly well, way better than anything I have ever seen. But it is by no means anywhere near enough to absorb/reject all the heat coming from the blower. So 19gpm is still not getting to the “holy grail” which is a zero IAT rise under boost. So if you’re thinking “10gpm is good enough for me”. Think again. You want everything you can get. End of story.

Don’t forget water flow is paramount. You can have the largest heat exchanger in the world. But if you don’t move the water in/out of the IC fast enough you will have high IAT’s. It’s as simple as that.

Stewart, who makes the pump that Lingenfelter hot rods and then sells under their own name is now hot rodding the pumps and selling them themselves (I’m sure Lingenfelter is thrilled). For, get this…..$100 less ($450).

The Data

I didn’t include all of my test data, just the stuff that is relevant to you the guy on the ground. I have a lot more data on different combo’s, line sizes, etc. But none of that is really applicable to you. It just gives me a better idea of what works and doesn’t when looking at the big picture. It also allows me to make educated guesses about other combo’s not tested.

I have two main portions of test data. The GT500 IC/.75” line size date and the 1.25” IC/line size data. I included the latter because at some point you will have the option of “gauging up” to 1.25”.

The Point???

What is my point? It’s this. Your goals should determine what pump you use. For example:

If you are currently running your blower with an as delivered IC system you will want to upgrade some or all of it at some point. GT500’s don’t do a very good job with IAT’s out of the box (they get a lot better in 13’). How you upgrade it and what components you chose are going to be based on where you want to end up.

If you simply want to put a off the shelf big HE and pump on then call it quits your best bet is to run a 13’ GT500 HE and a 13’ GT500 water pump. That will get you a really big HE and the most cost effective pump for that combo. It will work much better than what you have and it will not break the bank. But, if you think you will ever upgrade it’s not the best choice.

If you go with the 13’ GT500 HE (or any other for that matter) there is an argument for using the Stewart pump. For starters it will push more water (about 9%). Secondly if in the future you upgrade to a 1.25” system the Stewart pump will “step up” to the task where the 13’ GT500 pump won’t. The Stewart pump/1.25” system on your stock GT500 IC will get you 12.75gpm. The 13’ GT500 pump/1.25” system will get you about 9gpm (I tested this). If you think you will ever “go big” the Stewart pump is the way to go. It only costs $150 more and it will “grow”. And you will always be able to sell the 13’ GT500 HE for you what you paid for it when you go big.

If you are going to step up to a 1.25” IC and IC system then the Stewart is really the way to go. You will see 27gpm!

Hope this helps you guys out.

Key

-Stewart = Stewart/Lingenfelter

-Turbo Pump = Davies Craig EWP150

-55gpm = Meziere 55gpm

-20gpm = Meziere 20gpm

-13' GT500 Pump = 13' GT500 Pump

-Bosch = 07-12' GT500 and just about every blower kit out there's pump

-Bosch/Bosch outlet to inlet = Two Bosch pump run in series. One directly feeding the next.

-Bosch/Bosch 180deg = Two Bosch pumps run in series on opposite sides of the system (not feeding each other). One before IC, one before HE.

Water Pump Flow Chart GT500-SVT.jpg

>>>Coming Soon<<<

Mathematical Modeling Showing The Effects Of Water Flow On Intake Air Temps

Last edited:

sqidd

Established Member
You never go ATM.

It's funny. A pump engineer that was telling me to try them like that said A2M. I LOL'd. He said that is how everyone in his part of the industry describes it. So I ran with it.:burnout:

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
It's funny. A pump engineer that was telling me to try them like that said A2M. I LOL'd. He said that is how everyone in his part of the industry describes it. So I ran with it.:burnout:

Good data all around and you do show one pump (the Stewart) that pushes 27gpm. How much power are you making on your blown S550 and how fast do IAT2s rise under boost? Is your intent to step up to the Stewart pump?

sqidd

Established Member
How much power are you making on your blown S550

550. It's set up soft.

and how fast do IAT2s rise under boost?
They rise instantly. All A2W systems do. They only have a 20deg delta over a 13-14sec run though. And then they go flat. They recover instantly.

Is your intent to step up to the Stewart pump?
No. It doesn't need it. And the car will never get pushed harder.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Great data thanks man.
I had planned on a second '13-14 pump in rear with ice tank in addition to my stock location '13-14 pump.
Seems like with stock lines A2M with '13-14 pumps would work.
Does A2M have to be mounted right next to each other (both together up front or in rear) or is it the same if mounted in series (stock location and discharge from rear ice tank in same feed line just over a larger distance)?
We never got to talk but I'm hoping we can still work together testing on my '14. I'm about to start the engine rebuild after blowing oil pump gears ( datalogging as we discussed ironically) and would like to work with you to optimize my application.
I did buy a ported lower intake with an upgraded KN Bigun cooler installed but prob keeps stock line diameter.
What upgrades would you suggest?
2014 GT500
Rear ice tank (some form additional pump)
Front HE with fans
Upgraded intake cooler
E85
It's street/strip and with E85 should be very cool but any improvements to keep the maxed out 2.4/15% pulled TVS appreciated.
-J

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
I know what A2W means, but I was confused with the A2M so I did a search for it on yahoo. It was quite an eye opener.:eek:

sqidd

Established Member
Great data thanks man.
I had planned on a second '13-14 pump in rear with ice tank in addition to my stock location '13-14 pump.
Seems like with stock lines A2M with '13-14 pumps would work.
Does A2M have to be mounted right next to each other (both together up front or in rear) or is it the same if mounted in series (stock location and discharge from rear ice tank in same feed line just over a larger distance)?
We never got to talk but I'm hoping we can still work together testing on my '14. I'm about to start the engine rebuild after blowing oil pump gears ( datalogging as we discussed ironically) and would like to work with you to optimize my application.
I did buy a ported lower intake with an upgraded KN Bigun cooler installed but prob keeps stock line diameter.
What upgrades would you suggest?
2014 GT500
Rear ice tank (some form additional pump)
Front HE with fans
Upgraded intake cooler
E85
It's street/strip and with E85 should be very cool but any improvements to keep the maxed out 2.4/15% pulled TVS appreciated.
-J

If it were me I would use the Stewart for the rear pump and run 1.25" lines to feed the water to and fro from the front of the car. This would by far give you the best results. By far.

I'm not convinced that the 13' GT500 pump lends itself to being run in tandem. It has an interesting impeller arrangement. It was obviously designed to pump high pressure (which is a good thing with a GT500 IC) but they are not set up to move lots of volume. I did a couple of quick tests with the 13 pump and it didn't pick up more volume like other designs do, namely the Bosch.

As far as running pumps in tandem they work better when they are "stacked" opposed to being run separated from each other.

With the Stewart/1.25" lines and e85 you will be doing pretty good.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
If it were me I would use the Stewart for the rear pump and run 1.25" lines to feed the water to and fro from the front of the car. This would by far give you the best results. By far.

I'm not convinced that the 13' GT500 pump lends itself to being run in tandem. It has an interesting impeller arrangement. It was obviously designed to pump high pressure (which is a good thing with a GT500 IC) but they are not set up to move lots of volume. I did a couple of quick tests with the 13 pump and it didn't pick up more volume like other designs do, namely the Bosch.

As far as running pumps in tandem they work better when they are "stacked" opposed to being run separated from each other.

With the Stewart/1.25" lines and e85 you will be doing pretty good.
Thanks.
So Stewart in rear with ice tank and then 1.25" lines with restriction being stock intercooler core. I'm assuming I'd eliminate/sell the stock pump and have only the Stewart as a single vs keeping the '13-14 pump up front in tandem?
Was planning on the VMP HE with fans and seeing if it can be ordered with larger fittings.
-J

sqidd

Established Member
Thanks.
So Stewart in rear with ice tank and then 1.25" lines with restriction being stock intercooler core. I'm assuming I'd eliminate/sell the stock pump and have only the Stewart as a single vs keeping the '13-14 pump up front in tandem?
Was planning on the VMP HE with fans and seeing if it can be ordered with larger fittings.
-J

Yeah, just run the Stewart. That thing is a BEAST! You won't need the stock pump and they fetch a few bucks. Especially now that it's clear they work very well.

I just sent you a PM.

Bad Company

Established Member
Yeah, just run the Stewart. That thing is a BEAST! You won't need the stock pump and they fetch a few bucks. Especially now that it's clear they work very well.

I just sent you a PM.
sqidd

Have you done any testing with the Kenne Bell BIGGUN Intercoolar with the pump system you're using?

These are supposed to have a higher coolant flow rating than the stock 13/14 Intercooler. With the Stewart pump, 1.25" lines and this cooler it should flow a significantly higher amount of coolant flow also. From what you've been posting I'm going to assume you have been testing a cooler with a very high coolant flow rate. Will this item be offered for sale in the future?

Last edited:

sqidd

Established Member
sqidd

Have you done any testing with the Kenne Bell BIGGUN Intercoolar with the pump system you're using?

These are supposed to have a higher coolant flow rating than the stock 13/14 Intercooler.

They flow exactly ZERO more water than a stock GT500 IC. They have the same size entry/exit and they still get the water though the stock water manifold that bolts to the intake. That water manifold is the main restriction. It has 16" of .55" passage and two hard 90deg turns. Which is horrible. I've only ever seen one other IC set up worse.

They may flow more air, but that is not the problem with the IC's.

Bad Company

Established Member
I know what A2W means, but I was confused with the A2M so I did a search for it on yahoo. It was quite an eye opener.:eek:
Dag gone Snoopy...........open my eyes, because every time I try to find what it means, I come up with either something about test results on liver enzymes or a short cut for saying something crude

Bad Company

Established Member
They flow exactly ZERO more water than a stock GT500 IC. They have the same size entry/exit and they still get the water though the stock water manifold that bolts to the intake. That water manifold is the main restriction. It has 16" of .55" passage and two hard 90deg turns. Which is horrible. I've only ever seen one other IC set up worse.

They may flow more air, but that is not the problem with the IC's.
Thanks for that info. I was afraid the coolant inlet system on the front was the restriction.

sqidd

Established Member

The 55gpm pump in the test is the Meziere 55gpm unit here:

https://www.meziere.com/Products/Cooling-System-Products/Pumps-Electric/Remote-Mount/Electric-Pump-Remote-High-Flow-Inline-Single-out-55GPM.aspx

This pump is to be avoided unless you're running a full 1.25" system. Even then there are better options.^^^^^^

This is the Stewart pump that performs the best:

http://www.stewartcomponents.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=63&product_id=71

Users who are viewing this thread