Compound boost

Venomous 03

Established Member
Well i know 2 people with compound boosted cobras and you have a better chance fitting a tennis ball through a water hose than trying to convince them to take the blower off their cars.too bad theyre not familiar with the forum so they can state their opinion.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Because of the "cool" factor. It sounds amazing in theory, so do high lift cams. Until shit starts breaking and you aren't making anymore power than without them.

Venomous 03

Established Member
Because of the "cool" factor. It sounds amazing in theory, so do high lift cams. Until shit starts breaking and you aren't making anymore power than without them.

Not really that.Those things just haul ass off idle to 7k.those things are fun as hell.WHEN the power is made brings the fun out of street cars really.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
At my altitude it would be very detrimental to go twincharged.

I could see trying it at sea level but it's a step backwards in my opinion.

Op, twin charging has been around for decades and hasn't caught on for a reason, it's more involved and less efficient.

For every well sorted twin charged car, there are 3-4 that didn't work out well, like 1:3.5 success rate.

On turbo only cars, it's more like 3:1, which is still shitty, but it's much easier to setup properly. Blower cars are the easiest, like 10:1 work out well.

I like twins. I'm 4500ft up, anything blown or an suffers huge power disadvantages and build a lot more heat.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
If you go twin charged, you'll want to pulley back to stock, and get a stock blower. The mill will be too stressed if you run a ported/pullied combo.

A twin charge system will place so much manifold pressure into the setup that it won't last very long on 15-22psi through the blower. That would lead to something like 40+ manifold psi which is a time bomb.

A ported blower is a good start, but as stated you probably want to go down to the stock pulley. You can tailor your pulley selection based on your desired boost level and characteristics. Just remember to use a pressure ratio calculation for your manifold pressure since it will be multiplicative and not additive. Going off the top of my head it was something like 5psi from the turbos on a stock pulley will net you around 16psi at the manifold. Running around 10psi from the turbos will put you closer to 20-25psi at the manifold.

Just commenting on the price of the build, I went with what was supposed to be a custom install, and cost hasn't been too bad, but it's been awful in terms of time and energy. Though to be fair I chalk most of this up to a less than competent fabricator that resulted in me having to re-do everything myself and deal with tons of unforeseen problems. For my two cents, unless you're a whiz at cutting and welding, go with a nice prepackaged solution (like Hellion). It will save you tons of headaches down the line.

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
Just commenting on the price of the build, I went with what was supposed to be a custom install, and cost hasn't been too bad, but it's been awful in terms of time and energy. Though to be fair I chalk most of this up to a less than competent fabricator that resulted in me having to re-do everything myself and deal with tons of unforeseen problems. For my two cents, unless you're a whiz at cutting and welding, go with a nice prepackaged solution (like Hellion). It will save you tons of headaches down the line.
I've had both a prepackaged kit and custom fabricated set-ups. I found that the prepackaged kit needed enhancements and I basically had half of it re-done. Like you, it was not fabricated correctly several times by different shops. So I'm fed up with poor craftsmanship by shops and fed up with being ripped off. So now I do as much of any work on the car myself. I'm not a fabricator or master mechanic by any means but will take the time to learn, do it, and do it correctly. It might take significantly longer but in the end, there are no surprises and it's the best it can be. The side benefit is that it ends up ibeing cheaper even if you make a few mistakes along the way.

Users who are viewing this thread