Compound boost

Regulars520

Established Member
I would like to add a turbo to my 99 termi swapped cobra. Anybody here ever run a turbo/eaton combo? Looking for who carries a single turbo header (passenger side). Anybody been down this road and have and install/tuning advice?

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Hellion hellraiser. Great kit for a twincharge design.

Real quick though, what are your goals like power and longevity, and how will the car be used? Daily driving and fun or occasional drives?

My gut wants to warn you that compound setups build a lot of heat and manifold pressure so practice a good amount of due diligence. Good luck.

I'm happy to help if I can via advice or knowledge gained from a bit of turbo experience.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Compound is a waste of time and money. A properly sized and built combo around a single turbo would perform just as well and remove a large amount of costs/headaches.

Regulars520

Established Member
Hellion hellraiser. Great kit for a twincharge design.

Real quick though, what are your goals like power and longevity, and how will the car be used? Daily driving and fun or occasional drives?

My gut wants to warn you that compound setups build a lot of heat and manifold pressure so practice a good amount of due diligence. Good luck.

I'm happy to help if I can via advice or knowledge gained from a bit of turbo experience.

Goals are simple, just to add some more boost. The eaton is posi ported, Im aware of watching out for heat. I'd like to add about 7-10 more psi. I am running a killer chiller so my intake temps are really low. I am not looking to spend a ton of money, otherwise I would just buy another VMP. Hellion is alittle on the pricey side for what I am wanting to do. I have a shop so I can do all the tubing bends, fabricating, etc... However I would like to find a header for cheap. I looked on ebay and stuff and couldnt find a passenger side turbo header

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Goals are simple, just to add some more boost. The eaton is posi ported, Im aware of watching out for heat. I'd like to add about 7-10 more psi. I am running a killer chiller so my intake temps are really low. I am not looking to spend a ton of money, otherwise I would just buy another VMP. Hellion is alittle on the pricey side for what I am wanting to do. I have a shop so I can do all the tubing bends, fabricating, etc... However I would like to find a header for cheap. I looked on ebay and stuff and couldnt find a passenger side turbo header
Cheap and what you are trying to do don't go together.

Regulars520

Established Member
Cheap and what you are trying to do don't go together.

Depends on what the view of cheap is. This is not a rush job, its a over the winter and plenty of time to shop job. Im mostly looking for a place to pick up a pre made header. I am going to budget 2500-3000 of budget shopping for this. Believe it or not quality used and new parts are out there that will fit the budget. Hell when I had the new VMP on the motor, I had about 6000 into the entire setup and that included 9.5:1 all forged motor from mmr, 1200hp fore return fuel complete system, New ID1000's, New VMP, Used Accufab single blade, etc...etc... All bought from people who bought them and then changed plans.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Read up on what you are trying to do. Tuning it is a nightmare and takes a large amount of time and money. You'll need all tubular suspension if you don't have it. CG fab makes the pre-made headers. You'll need a BOV and wastegate. You will also need to buy the turbo which will eat half of your budget. Next you'll need ~400-500 bucks in v-bands and t-bolts, flanges, bungs, and other random crap. I'm telling you as someone who has experience in this, you are not being realistic and are spending money on something that is pointless. Ditch the eaton and run a normal kit.

NastyNate420

Established Member
I thought about it but as stated it has been done but the consensus is its not worth the time or money. The heaton chockes things up and too much heat. Ditch the eaton and just go turbo or TT !!

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
If you go twin charged, you'll want to pulley back to stock, and get a stock blower. The mill will be too stressed if you run a ported/pullied combo.

A twin charge system will place so much manifold pressure into the setup that it won't last very long on 15-22psi through the blower. That would lead to something like 40+ manifold psi which is a time bomb.

A good single kit can be fabbed for around $3000 if you have experience doing turbo builds, and only need the turbo components. The first time would be very tricky. A 66-76mm turbo with billet wheel and ball bearings is $1100+, the bov and wastegate are another $500-750, and those prices are assuming you find some deals/used but very healthy parts.

That leaves $900-650 to put the rest together which again if you know exactly what your fabbing, and cut/weld perfect the first go, can be done, but I wouldn't go for it.

If it's your first custom build, I would budget $7500-10,000. You'll need suspension, cooling like an intercooler, water lines, etc, tuning, possible fuel mods and definitely will run into issues.

My first turbo build was, on paper, a breeze, $6k later in unplanned expenses it made 900/920whp/tq but it took a bit of time and fine tuning.

Going twin charge would add lots of tuning and drivability issues into the work. Getting a maf to live and talk is a challenge, it's just a messy setup.

Venomous 03

Established Member
Compound boost is awesome.REALLY depends on what youre doing with the car though.when your racing,you tend to see higher rpms only,so it wouldnt be ideal to be compound boosted.it is not "a waste of time and money" and its not hard to tune when you have an experienced tuner.when they were doing compound ford gt's,they were making over 200hp and 200tq at a given rpm sooner.it surely has its advantages,and disadvantages,but what doesnt? Its whatever you wanna do with your car.The only reason i didnt go compound my car isnt gonna be seeing low rpms very often.Dont listen to the people that just read whats online and have no experience with it.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Don't have experience? Please tell me what all experience you have? Tell me how it's "better" it supplies very little advantage at low RPM and has horrible reliability problems. It IS incredibly hard to tune, just do a google search if you doubt me the ONE good running compound car put up horrible mile numbers until it finally figured it's tune which took an incredibly long time. It costs more, the factory intercooler below the eaton is not very capable at high hp, it heat soaks badly, and I promise a properly sorted out single or twin kit beats it on the drag strip.

But please let me know all the kits you've built and worked on/tuned.

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
I've never had a compound set-up. If you look into it, many of them have blown up-probably due to tuning issues. To me it adds complexity and weight to the car which is unnecessary. I can speak from experience as far as cost goes with a decent quality turbo set-up. Yeah, whatever you "budget" for it, you might as well double it to be safe-no joke.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Single custom will be better in the long run.

Try twin charging if you want, maybe you'll be one of the guys that sorts it out and runs awesome. It's a tricky project.

Venomous 03

Established Member
Don't have experience? Please tell me what all experience you have? Tell me how it's "better" it supplies very little advantage at low RPM and has horrible reliability problems. It IS incredibly hard to tune, just do a google search if you doubt me the ONE good running compound car put up horrible mile numbers until it finally figured it's tune which took an incredibly long time. It costs more, the factory intercooler below the eaton is not very capable at high hp, it heat soaks badly, and I promise a properly sorted out single or twin kit beats it on the drag strip.

But please let me know all the kits you've built and worked on/tuned.

Read my post again,you missed a few things.ONE good running compound car? Thats weird, how can you know how everybodys car is running out there? "Just do a google search" and you could find yourself a couple.READ.you basically repeated everything i told you.
But please,let me know how many compound cars youve tuned and how you know how ALL the compound cars are running out there.
How is making almost 300ft lbs of torque more at 3000 RPM not an adavantage?You gotta be kidding.We ALL know a proper built turbo car will take it in a DRAG,thats why i mentioned it really depends what the cars intended use is.Not everybody thinks like you,not everybody wants to drag race.Theres options out there and i can tell you from my experience that a compound car is ALOT more fun on the STREET having power down low and up top.It has advanatages and its limits.Just read my post carefully this time,i dont want you rewording my posts.
In simple terms OP,if its a street car,do it.If drag racing,a single power adder would be better.

Eatonualive281

Established Member
Op if that's what u want to do then do it. It's your car!
I like the idea personally. My car was compounded for a few years. I had a blast with it! It's was a 100 percent full weight street car at that point and it was awesome to drive. Is it the best way to go? Prob not. But it was a rocket and it made power everywhere. I liked it bc it was unique. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
Op if that's what u want to do then do it. It's your car!
I like the idea personally. My car was compounded for a few years. I had a blast with it! It's was a 100 percent full weight street car at that point and it was awesome to drive. Is it the best way to go? Prob not. But it was a rocket and it made power everywhere. I liked it bc it was unique. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.
Why did you get rid of the compound set-up?

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
I've worked on two separate compound setups, both of them removed the blower within a month after not being able to get it to run safely and having huge issues with heat. The cars blew the tires off down low and couldn't keep up with my single turbo car up top. Any other questions?

PC03GT

Established Member
If you have questions about compound boost hit up Rev Auto. They did a hellraiser kit on my buddies 03 cobra. It cost a lot of money and the build was a big ****ing PIA. He put down over 1000hp and tq, the blower was holding him back from making anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread