Competition Orange 1/18th scale

HASFANGS

Established Member
After many reaquests, I tried painting 1/18th scale Maisto diecast Competition Orange.
It's a lot of work:

IMG_3073.gif

Last edited:

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
I was looking and did not see a Redfire. Anyone know? The orange is sweet!

SNAKE CHARM

Alcohol Fueled Brutality
Established Member
Nice!! Love Comp Orange, I just found a Sonic Blue one @ Sam's club for $10.00.

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
I also wanted a model of my car but Maisto didn't make one in MystiChrome either. So, I found a guy that was painting them (to include the seats) and selling them on eBay. It wasn't cheap ($99), but it is fairly rare...

BTW - The competition orange one looks like it turned out great!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've heard of a number of folks here who have custom painted this model, including Mystichrome. Most disassemble the model first, which actually allows you to custom paint the interior. But it isn't something a novice can do to perfection the first time. But at the price they sell for regular retail, you could buy two. One to practice on and the final product. Might be cheaper and more rewarding to do it that way vs. buying one on eBay already done. Especially if you want to do some customizing to make it more match your own car. Just a thought.

HASFANGS

Established Member
CobraBob said:
I've heard of a number of folks here who have custom painted this model, including Mystichrome. Most disassemble the model first, which actually allows you to custom paint the interior. But it isn't something a novice can do to perfection the first time. But at the price they sell for regular retail, you could buy two. One to practice on and the final product. Might be cheaper and more rewarding to do it that way vs. buying one on eBay already done. Especially if you want to do some customizing to make it more match your own car. Just a thought.

Absolutely agree. (Don't forget the cost of the paint too, custom mixed colors in a rattle can are minimum of $19.26 around here.) Additionally if you are say converting a Coupe to a 'vert or vise versa you need a donor model. I guess what I am getting at, it is not a terribly profitable business...I have sold (17) models and made $61 total...lots of people don't pay...you eat all your mistakes...eBay is hit and miss. Not to mention shipping is as expensive as the base model itself. I'm finishing up these last four models and I'm done (if that's any indication...)
Here's the latest:

wv2.gif

wv1.gif

Last edited:

HASFANGS

Established Member
MJMJ7 said:
Found a few here with a quick Google search. Might help some people that want to pick one up. QUOTE]

As a reference, Maisto made the following body styles and colors in the 1/18th scale '03-'04 SVT Cobra:

Silver Convertible
Red Convertible - (close to Ford's Redfire)
Blue Convertible - (close to Ford's Sonic Blue)

Black Coupe
Grey Coupe
Red Coupe

I found the best deals on new models through www.collectablediecast.com

Users who are viewing this thread