CompCams CR Series Camshafts (Next Upgrade)

Sir Nate 3000

Silver Stallion
Established Member
I am going to get CompCams new CR series camshafts after I complete my exhaust. On their SEMA video they are claiming 50-60hp from these cams. I am looking for a shop to install them and dyno-tune it at the same location. I did some searching and I haven't seen much info on them. I guess I'll be the guinea pig ;-)

Last edited:

whatsup62

Established Member
Well thanks for being the guinea pig. Thinking about going that route myself. Planning on a base dyno before install? Wondering what kind of gains with no long tubes you will have. More air in more air out. Please keep us all posted ...I will be watching this process closely.

svtfanlv

Established Member
Super pumped to see the results myself. thinking of going N/A as far as I can on my 16gt with performance pack

Sir Nate 3000

Silver Stallion
Established Member
I am going to keeping the stock shorty headers and do the MAK cat delete with a H-pipe on to my Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back. This should open the exhaust quite a bit. I am looking for a shop that is fairly close to me that will do the install and tune. I see VMP tuning is just a couple hours away. I will give them a call.

svtfanlv

Established Member
I would certainly take the trip to VMP, I've heard nothing but great things... I am sure they can help with your decision on doing the cams or not as well... Goodluck!

I am going to keeping the stock shorty headers and do the MAK cat delete with a H-pipe on to my Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back. This should open the exhaust quite a bit. I am looking for a shop that is fairly close to me that will do the install and tune. I see VMP tuning is just a couple hours away. I will give them a call.

Sir Nate 3000

Silver Stallion
Established Member
Well the tuners I have been talking to don't seem that impressed with cam upgrades for these s550's. For my goal the horse power per dollar is very low. The price of install plus the cams is over $3000, and I am told the gains will be around 40 hp. With another $1500 I can get my hands on a turbo kit that will give me gains of 300+ hp. I am still planning on installing cams but I am going to complete my other mods first instead of last. I have already completed the suspension upgrade with Steeda parts and I'm working on getting the full exhaust completed with catted long tubes now. After that I will get it tuned and get some track times, then on to the n/a cams install. Even though I will be added a supercharger by the end of next year I am still going to upgrade with n/a cams. I am hoping to have them installed before the end of this year.

Sir Nate 3000

Silver Stallion
Established Member
Well actually the cost of long tubes plus install is around $1800 and will gain 30-40 hp. I already have the flowmaster catback so all I am waiting to get installed is the catted long tubes as I was not planning on going with long tubes. So in reality it cost half as much as cams plus install but the gains are similar. I am more comfortable paying $1800 for 40rwhp than paying $3000-$3500 for 40rwhp right now. I am saving the cams for last because the supercharger is coming soon after and the cams will compliment the blower a whole lot better.

mike.s

Established Member
I was thinking the 1800 for the longtubes and the 800-1000 I've seen for catbacks. I guess the exhaust is still a better bang for the buck though

Sir Nate 3000

Silver Stallion
Established Member
I can get a set of catted long tubes for $1300 or $1100 without cats and $500 for the installation. The exhaust and CAI is the best bang for the buck, but they are also necessary for the cam upgrade. Which is another reason why I changed the order of my mod list.

mike.s

Established Member
I was thinking the 1800 for the longtubes and the 800-1000 I've seen for catbacks. I guess the exhaust is still a better bang for the buck though

Users who are viewing this thread