comparing superchargers

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
Obviously, if you are looking to make big power then a Whipple or KB is the way to go. But, I am wondering, if you are planning to stay below 750 HP is there a compelling or practical reason not to go with a TVS?

Since I have a SCT tuner, 2.59" pulley, 90 mm idler and JLT cai at present, I could order a TVS with 2.59" pulley already installed plus a new tune and have 740 bolt on HP for $4400 and no problems with fitment (however minor) and no necessity to upgrade the fuel system or anything else.

Other than room to grow, and "efficiency" what specifically might make going to a Whipple or KB a better choice?

Also, at what rwhp level is upgrading the drive shaft necessary?

Leonard 95

Established Member
This is exactly what I did, found a deal on good used tvs and slapped it on. The tvs already had a vmp 2.65 stock look pulley, I reused my metco idler and got a update tune from Justin at vmp. I also went and ahead and installed off road x-pipe, still using stock plenum and throttle body. Car put down 620rwhp range with these mods on 91 octane.

There was no fittment issues with the tvs, its basically the same size as stock blower, so it just goes right on, very easy to do. If you plan on drag racing a bunch, I would probably look into replacing the driveshaft, if not, put a driveshaft loop on and keep the stock on. The tvs blower will get you to 700rwhp will exhaust, lower pulley and t/b and plenum, so its a very good blower. Just go to www.vmptuning.com and see the stuff Justin has for the tvs, his makes like 740rwhp or more, he really knows the tvs.

Last edited:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
This is exactly what I did, found a deal on good used tvs and slapped it on. The tvs already had a vmp 2.65 stock look pulley, I reused my metco idler and got a update tune from Justin at vmp. I also went and ahead and installed off road x-pipe, still using stock plenum and throttle body. Car put down 620rwhp range with these mods on 91 octane.

There was no fittment issues with the tvs, its basically the same size as stock blower, so it just goes right on, very easy to do. If you plan on drag racing a bunch, I would probably look into replacing the driveshaft, if not, put a driveshaft loop on and keep the stock on. The tvs blower will get you to 700rwhp will exhaust, lower pulley and t/b and plenum, so its a very good blower. Just go to www.vmpracing.com and see the stuff Justin has for the tvs, his makes like 740rwhp or more, he really knows the tvs.

Here is the correct link to VMP:

VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member

There was no fittment issues with the tvs, its basically the same size as stock blower, so it just goes right on, very easy to do. If you plan on drag racing a bunch, I would probably look into replacing the driveshaft, if not, put a driveshaft loop on and keep the stock on. The tvs blower will get you to 700rwhp will exhaust, lower pulley and t/b and plenum, so its a very good blower. Just go to VMP Tuning Inc and see the stuff Justin has for the tvs, his makes like 740rwhp or more, he really knows the tvs.

Yes, I spent some time rooting around there already and looked at the inlets and TBs too. I wouldn't mind finding a reliable used one.

Any other pertinent issues besides "room to grow"?

Leonard 95

Established Member
In all honesty, this blower with 2.6, t/b and plenum, heat exchangers is really all your gonna need for the street, thats gonna push you around 650rwhp. What I have right now is just plain stupid on the street, it kills my drag radials everytime I try to get on it. If you can get it to stick, 620-650rwhp will take you in the 10's if you can drive.

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
In all honesty, this blower with 2.6, t/b and plenum, heat exchangers is really all your gonna need for the street, thats gonna push you around 650rwhp. What I have right now is just plain stupid on the street, it kills my drag radials everytime I try to get on it. If you can get it to stick, 620-650rwhp will take you in the 10's if you can drive.
What you said there is exactly what I was getting at. I looked at the high flow inlet and 67mm TB and port matching too, to maximize the combo.

I particularly like the fact the tunes are tested and tailored for the specific combo. No surprises. And the excellent reputation that Justin has.

Steve@BAS

Established Member
So side note while discussing TVS with guys that have them. How is the TVS supercharger whine? I know not as important as performance discussions, but it is part of the fun of getting on it :burnout:

Leonard 95

Established Member
So side note while discussing TVS with guys that have them. How is the TVS supercharger whine? I know not as important as performance discussions, but it is part of the fun of getting on it :burnout:

I didn't think it was as loud as a stock blower with a 2.6 pulley, you can hear it but just not as loud. But the smile on your face when you hit on it makes it worth it.

mustang loco

Established Member
Here's mine,if you want to hear a TVS with 2.6 pulley and I.West lower!!

th_shelby004.jpg

VNMOUS1

Established Member
I don't mean to take this off topic....just a sidebar.

And then again you could always call Posi Performance and have Brian port your factory Eaton, a plenum and pick up a TB from Justin at VMP.

I'm running one of Justin's plenums, matched to the ported Eaton and at least temporarily a Whipple monoblade TB. I don't know what it really makes to the wheels but it traps 131mph on 4.10s.

Upper and lower pulleys, cold air, the aforementioned blower/plenum/TB and catted X pipe.

Good set of DRs and wham! 10s.

bj

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
That's where I'm at now. Do I send the blower out to posi for a port and use the saved funds for maybe a set of long tubes or a driveshaft and gears, or do I dump the whole load and skip right to the TVS. I already have all the suspension parts waiting and my Revan H/E should be back from C&R early next week (had a leak that needed fixing). I have an O/R X-pipe sitting in my garage and an L&M TB already set up. So either way, my supporting mods would already be here.
I would like to get back in the 10's (just want to go a little faster than my last car which went 10.80's).

bull3441

Established Member

And then again you could always call Posi Performance and have Brian port your factory Eaton, a plenum and pick up a TB from Justin at VMP.

I'm running one of Justin's plenums, matched to the ported Eaton and at least temporarily a Whipple monoblade TB. I don't know what it really makes to the wheels but it traps 131mph on 4.10s.

Upper and lower pulleys, cold air, the aforementioned blower/plenum/TB and catted X pipe.

Good set of DRs and wham! 10s.

bj
what d/r do you use? and how's the 4:10's on the street?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
the TVS is a great blower hands down, but it has its limits its good for around 700 RWHP an then your pretty much out. if you plan for some big power then KB or Whipple are much better. but with Cooling mods like the Raven H/E and Rad will keep your stock, TVS, KB, Whipple blowers cool

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member

if i was wanting some power but lower than twin screw levels, then this is 100% the way i would go. cheaper than a TVS and almost as capable. either go full bore with a twin screw/turbo or just do some port work with the stock unit.

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
Great info, good link and the comments on porting are very interesting too! I will study the porting issue more closely.

Users who are viewing this thread