Comparing F150s XL vs XLT and have a question

mammothcar1

Established Member
I'm looking at buying a new F150, standard cab with an 8' bed in the Northern VA area.

These new trucks seem to be priced in the low 20s for the XL, and mid 20s for the XLT.
But, the one thing I've noticed, is that the XL price then jumps to high 20s and low 30s.
So my question is this, why would someone, or a dealer, spec an XL to the upper 20s or low 30s when the XLT seems to offer a bit more as standard?

Is there something to be gained by specing an XL up a certain way vs the XLT?

I grew up using my old F150 with an 8' bed, so it's hard for me to consider some of the other cab configurations with the 6.5' bed, but any thoughts on that matter would also be greatly appreciated.

I don't need a hard core work truck, but I do like the idea of being able to throw plywood or lumber in the back when I need to. The truck would be a DD all other times.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
There is no gain in loading up an XL. Buy the XLT you will more than get back on resale/trade-in down the line.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The only advantage used to be getting the XL Sport package, which looked better to me than an XLT. Ford changes their packages all the time, so I'm not sure that's the case on the 2018 models.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
The only advantage used to be getting the XL Sport package, which looked better to me than an XLT. Ford changes their packages all the time, so I'm not sure that's the case on the 2018 models.

Right now the reg cabs have the sport appearance package, but you have to get a super crew/cab to get the stx package

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
5.0 with 3.55 gears
Go to the lumber yard and whoop mustangs on the way home

mammothcar1

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies and insight. I was pretty much under the same impression that the XLT would be the one to get vs the XL, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
How much of a jump would it be to a bare bones 250?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Around $5k-$7k. Not worth it IMO unless you need the extra capability at the cost of MPG's and ride. Or to make your pecker bigger.

jconnor3

Established Member
An 8ft bed would be great, but I would think twice about getting the extended cab with the 6.5ft bed. The interior space is really nice to have and gives you some room to put things that shouldn't get wet when it rains.

I use my truck as an actual truck all the time (I flip homes on the side so i'm at Lowes/HD/Menards on the regular) and while an 8ft bed would be nice, the 6.5 works just fine. Just leave the tailgate down and you get to 8ft and then throw a red flag on anything that hangs over. Or leave the tailgate up and prop your lumber up on top and throw a flag on it. Either works well but I wouldn't give up my interior space for anything. Especially for a DD, don't sacrifice the interior space (that you will always be using) for a larger bed that you only use occasionally.

Anyway, that's just my opinion.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
As mentioned the 6.5’ bed isn’t too bad for lumber and such. I’ve put full sheets of plywood in my 5.5’ without issue with the tailgate up. My next truck will be a 6.5’ bed for sure though

mammothcar1

Established Member
An 8ft bed would be great, but I would think twice about getting the extended cab with the 6.5ft bed. The interior space is really nice to have and gives you some room to put things that shouldn't get wet when it rains.

I use my truck as an actual truck all the time (I flip homes on the side so i'm at Lowes/HD/Menards on the regular) and while an 8ft bed would be nice, the 6.5 works just fine. Just leave the tailgate down and you get to 8ft and then throw a red flag on anything that hangs over. Or leave the tailgate up and prop your lumber up on top and throw a flag on it. Either works well but I wouldn't give up my interior space for anything. Especially for a DD, don't sacrifice the interior space (that you will always be using) for a larger bed that you only use occasionally.

Anyway, that's just my opinion.

Thanks for this^
I started expanding my search and found quite a few XLTs and Lariats with this configuration at year end pricing that I'm going to check out.
The few times that I would use the 8' bed vs the convenience of having space behind the front row for stuff is much better.

As mentioned the 6.5’ bed isn’t too bad for lumber and such. I’ve put full sheets of plywood in my 5.5’ without issue with the tailgate up. My next truck will be a 6.5’ bed for sure though

6.5' bed is beginning to look like the sweet spot for sure.
Thank you.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
6.5' bed is beginning to look like the sweet spot for sure.
Thank you.

I will clarify that I have a supercrew and an 8ft bed with that would be ridiculous in the city, some places are tight with the 5.5' but that bed size frequently comes up about 6" short. It just depends on how often you're loading up with big stuff. It seems like whenever I need to get something real big its too long for the 8' bed truck I have access to as well.

CompOrange04

Just livin the dream...
Established Member
I want a super cab 4x4 w/ the 5.0. 3.55 gears, 10 speed auto and a 5.5' bed but nope...only in a raptor! F'n Ford! Do they realize what you could do on that platform with a turbo kit?!?!? FML

It's insane though that a reg cab 4x4 XL w/ the sport package is a $38k truck!!!

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Ive been looking at f150s to replace the sierra and the STX package seems like a good bargain for what you get

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
6.5' bed.
Had a passenger in the back for the 1st time two weeks ago.
Comments were - plenty of room, heat was fine, able to charge the phone was a nice touch.
The_trucks_1st_cruise_night_day_6_001.jpg

Day_3_pics_003.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread