Comp Turbo Failures

SLPCobra

Established Member
+1 I agree with this guy ^
I'd sell these off to someone and upgrade to any of the listed above turbos that are proven!

Eatonualive281

Established Member
I hear ya. It sucks bc the whole reason i went with the oilless units was bc i have a Hellion kit that utilizes an oil scavenge pump. Being oilless gave me the ability to delete the oil pump. Otherwise I would have went with something else. That sucks.

1Fast-Turbo-Cou

Established Member
Damn that does suck. The oil-less feature would be awesome. Hopefully someone figures it out and gets them to hold up long term. A lot of times turbos get tore up from user error, like not enough oil going to it, not draining properly, ect. But with an oil-less turbo what could you possibly be doing wrong for them to not hold up? They are realtively large so it's not like your over spinning them. What do they say?

Eatonualive281

Established Member
well they told that the shaft was bent in the one and thats what caused the wheels to contact the housings. but thats the same thing that happened the second time. now, one has a hard time even spinning and that one didnt contact the housing to my knowledge. So i dunno what ill hear this time but something isnt right. And even after the specified break in period they never spun as easy or as long as my turbonectics jpournal bearing units. weird.

I believe under load the shaft is wobbling on one if not both of the turbos. they call for a -6 coolant line to be run to each unit and thats exactly what I did. They also call for a 300mi light break in period which i did...and tried to do the second time. only made it 150mi. There is zero shaft play on either unit. Apparently these turbos are supposed to spin for quite a while after you shut off the car...yeah...no. not even close.

Eatonualive281

Established Member
Spoke with Ernie from Comp last night. He was nice enough to personally assemble my turbos and make sure everything is done right. Hopefully I will have them back this weekend. I cant wait!

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
Man, that sucks anytime you pay good money for a product and it fails.

I agree that you can't beat the performance of Precision. They make crazy power and spool is unreal.

SLPCobra

Established Member
Hopefully they can make things right this time man i know it's gotta be hard having to deal with it not once but twice in such a short period.
The oilless seem's like a great idea for a turbo not having to run lines and like for you no scavenger pumps needed. They look like great pieces too just seem's like most are not to happy with them for whatever reason. Hopefully they can work great for you after all this effort!

Eatonualive281

Established Member
Ok so I have a bit of an update. The only parts on these turbos that arent new are the housings. Everything else including the billet center sections have been replaced with brand new parts. I've had the new units on the car for about 2 weeks and everything seems good. I almost have 300 miles on them and hopefully they survive the dyno. Hopefully I can get tuned in a few weeks. Wish me luck. Not out of the woods yet lol.

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
Good luck man. I have a Comp 7679 billet, oil less turbo, and have not had any issues. Makes good power, and if there's smoke coming out of my motor, I know it's not the turbo!

Eatonualive281

Established Member
They seem to be holding up. I've got about 600 miles on them. So far so good. No dyno yet. I want to put a little more miles on them before I go 3.5 hrs to get tuned... better to be safe than sorry.

Eatonualive281

Established Member
I have a dyno appointment next Saturday so we will see. I have about 800 miles on em at moment. Fingers and toes crossed lol.

Eatonualive281

Established Member
Dyno day went well as far as the turbos go. Unfortunately something happened in one of the cylinders while making a pull. From what I can tell with my borescope it was possibly a head gasket issue. So in short the turbos worked great lol. Motor however did not.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Dyno day went well as far as the turbos go. Unfortunately something happened in one of the cylinders while making a pull. From what I can tell with my borescope it was possibly a head gasket issue. So in short the turbos worked great lol. Motor however did not.

Dude... My gut just hit the floor man. That's awful. Good luck, hoping it's something no deeper than a valve or gasket...

Users who are viewing this thread